Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

3 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

Yeah I do get the whole reasoning since dad grew up dirt poor and during the great depression era but as one gets older and has the means to buy new items without repairing when the old goes bad still doesn't make any sense to me to save the the old. In the end I'll be paying more to trash the junk than what it's worth. Thankfully I can recycle some of it. 

I understand what your saying and feeling..  My dad saved every screw nut and bolt he found and nails. My dad grew up poor and lived thru the depression.  He made some extension cords once. I have one that’s 50 years old.  There was a good feeling from fixing things and being ready to.  The time and where we are from and been thru makes us who we are brother..

• Like 3

with old tools or similar you might find they have a decent value just as scrap. the metal used in older equipment was a much better quality than we get now so it has value. old wiring can be worth a fair bit too.

as for keeping old seemingly useless stuff, farmers have to the worst for it. while we might see 6 ft of scrap wire they see a enough wire for a spot light on the tractor. it might never get fitted or used but it has a plan so its worth keeping. it doesn't matter that the tractor was sold 2 years before and the new tractor already has a light, it has a use so it must be kept

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Several months back, the "speaker out" function on my main laptop became inop.

I run it through my big sound system, which is pretty fantastic...and being without music or having to listen to movie soundtracks through tinny little computer speakers isn't something that makes me happy.

I checked the output plug, the wiring, the amp, all the connections, etc. No juice.

I was about to take the computer to the shop, but I figgered I'd give it one last shot.

Found a sound driver update online, loaded it...WHOOPEE!!! I have MUSIC again.

Life is WAY better with the music I love.  :D

• Like 6

I know that feeling. My computer crapped out a few months ago and took me awhile to get something going. I always have music on and don't like streaming from the various available services. I have a Bluetooth connection so I can stream to the vintage system in my studio. Still sounds better than my wizz bang techno theater system in the living room. 

Edited by Phirewriter
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phirewriter said:

have a Bluetooth connection so I can stream to the vintage system in my studio. Still sounds better than my wizz bang techno theater system in the living room. 

Yeah, my system is '80s components and speakers, hardwired to the output jack from whichever computer I'm on.

Maybe a little "primitive", but I've never heard anything that even comes close.  :D

Particularly happy that one of the perks of working at a car dealership is that I get staff labour rates in the shop, and staff pricing on parts.

The alternator packed it in on the old Tahoe. As the boy needs it to get back and forth to university, I had to get it in to the shop for a quick fix, instead of waiting until the weekend when I could get around to fixing it. 

My cost of installing a new and upgraded alternator is less than the retail cost of the factory one before labour.

Not bad at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A modeler named mike said:

Hint.. Don't do your paperwork out on the picnic bench.. It won't be good and you'll end up in the irk thread.. 

If I tried that and then complained about the results, I'd need to start an "I'm a moron" thread.

• Haha 2

Looking at house loans and found out my credit score is now over 800.....! 802 to be exact. Look forward to getting out of this over priced apartment and have a garage (high priority) for my Mustang's with a house for me and the cat. 

• Like 4

Took my wife to see her doctor today for a follow up visit on her knee replacement. After 6 weeks her range of motion has almost returned to normal, and she isn't using her Cain any longer either. She also started driving again this week. Dancing may be a little while away yet. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, webestang said:

Looking at house loans and found out my credit score is now over 800.....! 802 to be exact. Look forward to getting out of this over priced apartment and have a garage (high priority) for my Mustang's with a house for me and the cat. 

There is one out there for you friend!

• Like 1

Just finished an endurance championship on my driving game......... 1000 miles! Took me three days to complete, off and on. Two of the tracks were the Nurburgring (25 laps) and the LeMans circuit (35 laps) along with two other courses.....

• Like 2

my landlords gave me 300 quid completely unexpectedly. Thats the second time this year they've done it and i dont know why but i'm not complaining. I'll be putting a chunk into the foodbank later so it can help more people out

• Like 9

I got to watch the 1963 comedy classic "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" and in it's entirety last night on a site out of the UK called BitChute. It's similar to our YouTube. 

• Like 6

Beautiful day here. Sun shining, birds singing, low humidity, clear very blue sky, forecast high this PM 77 F. Trying to get my paperwork done early enough to go for a long hike in the woods later, but if it's not done, I'll probably just go anyway.   B)

• Like 2