Model Cars Magazine Forum

So, What Models Are You MOST Impressed With?

If this topic has been done before, I apoligize. But the "Disappointing" thread is very interesting. As I'm new (again) to the hobby I think it would be neat for others like me to see what the "best" is out there. Some of this info is of course in the "kit review" section, I understand. Good 'nuff?

Thanks.

Dale

Revell:

1932 Ford series

1941 Willys gasser

1950 F-1 pickup

1950 Oldsmobile

1957 Ford

AMT:

1960 Starliner

1962 Pontiac Catalina

1962 T-bird

1970 Baldwin Motion Camaro

1971 Charger

Anything Tamiya

Edited by Matt T.

In my opinion is, a ton of Revell kits. In just random order...'69 Nova(all of em), '49 Merc(2 coupes, 1 woody), '50 Olds(both), all the variants of the '32 Fords, '70 Cuda(both of em), '90 Stang(drag version), '57 Ford & '57 Chevy(black widow) '13 & '15 Stangs, and of course, my personal fave of all time...the '41 Willy's gasser!

There is probably more, but those are the ones that popped into my mind at the moment. :-)

I don't know why but, the first one that came into my head is very old school. The Monogram, formerly MPC '29 Lincoln. Why? Maybe for it's time it was way ahead of everyone else in my opinion. It has working steering through the steering wheel, foldable seats that work, and a hinged hood to name a few reasons. The Gangster version came with a violin case and weapons and boot leg wiskey bottles. Also some human figures. Oh yeah! And a bullet holed windshield option. Just very impressive.

Also many of the old AMT kits I built as a young man that have survived the test of time through re issues. Round 2 is helping with this cause. I can't go without mentioning the newer Revell kits like the '57 Chevy, '49 Merc and '48 Ford, all impressive. And as mentioned above the Mobius 1953 Hudson. Just to mention a few. lol

Edited by rmvw guy

Currently, it's hard to go wrong with any of the Revell Deuce kits. I've only built two but I have a third and I'm sure there will be more. Otherwise- the original issue of Revell's '55 Chevy. I built this kit when I was ten or eleven and if I could do it then, I can do it now. The box art alone was worth the price, the kit had plenty of options and working features... you don't see that in 1/25 anymore.

So far Revell's 57 Ford has been the best domestic kit. It has Tamiya quality fitment. Not all Tamiya's have great fitment, but for the most part, they are very easy to put together.

Tamiya's R390 GT1 practically falls together, but can be finicky with all the small parts.

This is tough. A couple of weeks ago I picked up Revell/Mongram's recently retooled Rommel's Rod. I knew I'd like the kit. But, I had low expectations of it being all that nice. I've been working on the kit and am delighted by what I've found. The detail and fit of parts is really nice. And yet it's not an overly complicated kit. It looks impressive on one hand. And fun on another.

I've always been impressed by Monogram's old classic car kits. Their '37 Cord 812, '41 Lincoln Continental, Duesenberg SJs, and Mercedes 540Ks. Considering the time period they were developed and designed in, these kits still hold up well today. Again, great detail and fit. And yet not too complicated to build. Which maybe the reason Rommel's Rod is such a good kit. It seems to me I've heard that they used some of the same tooling from their classic Mercedes 540K for the Mercedes end of Rommel's Rod.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

_12-vi.jpg

Since all the recent tools of US kits have been mentioned above before I found this thread, I thought I'd throw an odd one out there. Besides, I haven't built any of those new US tools, so I don't have experience to comment.

Revell of Germany has tooled up some new stuff as of late. Kits like the two Beetles and old MIni Cooper come to mind. I own the Beetle sedan but I haven't tried to build one yet. I haven't scored a Mini yet, because I want to buy and build three... I guess you know where that is going!

Anyway, I'm nominating the ROG Trabants.. they've done the 2 door sedan (Limousine) and wagon (Universal) and these are great examples of modern tooling. There is no flash anywhere and very little in the way of very light seam lines. Ejector pins are only present on areas that will not be seen when the kit is built. Same for the tree connections. These also are designed in a way that they break clean, rather than taking a chunk of your model part with them.

I am building the Universal kit right now and it's downright wonderful. Another board member described it as 'the kit falls together' and that's rightfully so. Overall it's just a beautiful piece of engineering between ROG and who ever their partner in Poland is that presses the kits.

At this point I cannot wait to try their Beetle kit!

I don't know why but, the first one that came into my head is very old school. The Monogram, formerly MPC '29 Lincoln. Why? Maybe for it's time it was way ahead of everyone else in my opinion. It has working steering through the steering wheel, foldable seats that work, and a hinged hood to name a few reasons. The Gangster version came with a violin case and weapons and boot leg wiskey bottles. Also some human figures. Oh yeah! And a bullet holed windshield option. Just very impressive.

Also many of the old AMT kits I built as a young man that have survived the test of time through re issues. Round 2 is helping with this cause. I can't go without mentioning the newer Revell kits like the '57 Chevy, '49 Merc and '48 Ford, all impressive. And as mentioned above the Mobius 1953 Hudson. Just to mention a few. lol

Except, MPC's '27 & '28 Lincoln kits were never produced by Monogram. Rather, they fell under the AMT/Ertl brand, after Ertl bought MPC in the late 1960's.

Art

Tamiya's Lexus LFA is hands down the best car kit I've ever built. The DBS was pretty good, too. Hasegawa's Ferrari 250TR and Lambo Miura were fantastic, with exactly the right amount of detail that you can see, but not much that you can't. The Moebius Chrysler 300 has nice detail, good engineering and great instructions, though there's something screwy in the interior, because the steering wheel more or less touches the seat bolster! Any of the Fujimi Enthusiast Series kits are amazingly detailed, but challenging to build because of that (the only kits I've ever come across that give you the valve gear UNDER the cam covers, and the pistons inside the block! Apart from Pocher Big Boys, anyway). Beyond cars, the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire IX and P-51 Mustang are probably the best kits anyone has ever made of anything...

bestest,

M.