Model Cars Magazine Forum

So, What Models Are You MOST Impressed With?

The first kit to really floor me was AMT's 1966 Nova. This was back when the best kits on the market were probably Monogram's 1/24 musclecars, the Sprint Cars, and ASA cars were brand new, and the bucket interior was still the dominant method. Out came this brand new tool of a really desirable car with an absolutely gem like motor, platform interior, great body, fantastic detailing and a mirror etched right into the windshield! It also had some really nice speed parts and a great set of mag wheels. The mirror thing was dealt with quickly, and even though the kit was a bit fiddly to build compared to the simpler Monograms, it was pretty much the detail leader at the time. Even today, this kit is a really nice kit to build and always looks nice when finished. The thing the Nova really did was to set the bar for other new kits a bit higher. It made Revell, Monogram and even the Japanese companies take notice and step up their act.

Revell made a couple more kits with bucket interiors before going over to platform, but they were still two of the best kits I have built. The '64 Thunderbolt and the '69 Camaros were pretty impressive to my eyes, and I built up a few copies of each. The Camaro was a bucket with separate side pieces, so it was a bit of an advance. Both of these kits impressed me as soon as they came out.

The AMT '62 Chevy Bel Air impressed me too, even though it takes a bit of file work to make the body perfect. The 409 is really nicely done. The kit is still a winner today for making Super Stock cars and for grabbing parts. Amt also put out the Cameo and Bullnose Pickups around this time.

Revell hit home runs with the '32 Ford series, the '67 Vettes, and the '67 GTX and Chargers. Monogram really floored me with their first 1/25 releases, the '59 Caddy and the '59 Impalas. These kits were really impressive in the box, but didn't seem to build up quite as nicely, mostly due to the chrome being a bit tricky to work with after painting the body. The other Revell kit to really floor me was the first release of the new tool '55 Chevy Convertible. (Molded in coral IIRC) That was a big step ahead, but a bit fiddly to assemble. The other Revell Tri Five Chevy kits have been a bit nicer. I really like the '56 DelRay and the Black Widow '57 as they build up very nicely.

AMT had a nice string of releases during it's last gasp years. The '57 Chrysler 300, '70 Camaro, '70 Monte Carlo, '71 Charger and Duster and the Edsel and Riv that they tooled up before they kind of gave up the ghost were all great tools. If any of those tools had been released back in the day of the '66 Nova debut (1988 or '89 IIRC) They would have knocked my socks off too.

The latest kits to impress me have been the Moebius Hudson and Chrysler kits. They nave tooling that is on par with, or slightly better than the other kits mentioned, but the real blast is the packaging and documentation with the kit. Great instructions, color references and brochure stuff really get my attention. At first, I regarded them as a third tier company doing niche kits, like Galaxie and Accurate Miniatures (Both of whom made kits that blew me away.) The difference is that Mobeius seems to have survived and is bringing out a second and third round of great kits. This is great news, and hopefully will wake up the other companies to match their quality standards. Moebius kits also fit well and build up nicely, something that Accurate Miniatures had problems with. (As mentioned before, there is a point at which simpler is better)

I know I listed a lot of kits, but I have been in the hobby for a long time, and I have seen lot of great stuff come out. The real interesting question is , "What will be the next kit to knock my socks off?" Will it be the '65 Comet? The Ford Pickups? or will Revell blow me away with the '67 Camaro. Will I fall in love with a Tamiya kit this time? Whatever it is, I'm gonna have fun building it!

Dave

A couple of months ago, I was able to purchase an original Jo-Han, 1934 Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster locally and I have to say, that like with their original Turbine car, I'm equally impressed by its design, fine detail and lay-out of that kit, which was tooled up 1964!

Note: photo taken from the web

19070168_1_l.jpg

A couple of months ago, I was able to purchase an original Jo-Han, 1934 Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster locally and I have to say, that like with their original Turbine car, I'm equally impressed by its design, fine detail and lay-out of that kit, which was tooled up 1964!

19070168_1_l.jpg

Yup. The hardtop roadster limousine version (the Caracciola car) uses many of the same parts and has the benefit of the Jo-Han team measuring the actual car. Nice wire wheels for 1/25 plastic, eh? (Though, as you probably know, only one 30s Mercedes came from the factory with chrome wires; any chrome ones you see would either have been special order or a later restoration.) Also, bear in mind that while the coupe had a wood dashboard, all the open roadsters had leather dashboards.

While I don't have this particular kit, I have a significant amount of 500K reference, so feel free to ask me for information anytime. Meanwhile, you can plan ahead for your build by referring to the Pocher instructions for the 540K (actually with 500K engine and chassis details); they are quite similar.

http://www.modelmotorcars.com/html/useful_info/manuals/MB_K91.pdf

Edited by sjordan2

• 2 weeks later...

19070168_1_l.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, I have the very impressive hardtop coupe version of this kit. Based on the post above, I got this version and found it equally as good. Anyone interested should get this version with full -cover box art, and NOT the reissues with white borders on the box art, which have tons of flash and poor chrome.

As those of you who know me know, I think rather highly of Tamiya kits but there is one kit really stands out in my mind as a watershed kit. It is the Ferrari Enzo. When it came out it was the Gonzo, full Monty, holy grail kit we had all been waiting for from them, we just didn't know it. It was the first time they used their sliding mold technology to the fullest extent. The single piece chassis was just nuts to look at. For once you didn't have to glue together multiple pieces to get the three dimension framework of the car. It was designed just like the real deal with all the body, suspension, and power plant parts mounted to that one piece of delicately molded plastic. All the other high end model cars like the Carrera GT and LFA were follow ons to that one kit. It was really a step forward in the art.

19070168_1_l.jpg

The Johan classics of the 1960s tools may still exist. Note that when Okey bought some remains of Johan, he put out a flyer of coming releases. There was a version of each the Mercedes and Cadillac, offering them as rat rods. If he was advertising them, it's reasonable to think he had the tooling at the time. It's known that he lost tooling to either some entity that did work on the tools for him, or pressed his kits. Maybe these two are still out there somewhere. Not that they are hard to find on eBay....

Some of the Jo-Han Gold Cup classics, such as the Mercedes 500K roadster limousine, were unmatched. Amazing 1/25 wire wheels.

Yes, they were amazing kits for their time, and certainly neat subjects, however some bits of their engineering always seemed to be just a bit too "out there", and with later reissues, often tooling alignments weren't paid a lot of attention to, leading to mismatched surfaces at what we call parting lines. Along those same lines, while very precisely designed and manufactured, Monogram's series of antique and Classic car kits had a tendency, certainly those tooled in the 60's, to have more than a bit of rather toy-like locating points for parts that we adults today can find to be a bit off-putting, even though I'll still crack open a Duesenberg one of these days just to build it up.

Art

The latest would have to be the Simil'R Ford GT marcVd5. Well engineered and a fantastic subject. Two decal sheets with complete carbon fibre coverage, PE, metal springs and a beautiful instruction sheet with accurate color callouts.

The price is a tad steep, but I'll deal with that if a kit is this comprehensive. Let's hope they make it for the long haul.

Bob

While I don't have this particular kit, I have a significant amount of 500K reference, so feel free to ask me for information anytime. Meanwhile, you can plan ahead for your build by referring to the Pocher instructions for the 540K (actually with 500K engine and chassis details); they a

re quite similar.

http://www.modelmotorcars.com/html/useful_info/manuals/MB_K91.pdf

Thanks for the offer, but bought the kit, because wanted to see how well it was engineered and it was priced at $25 so couldn't let it go.

Yes, they were amazing kits for their time, and certainly neat subjects, however some bits of their engineering always seemed to be just a bit too "out there", and with later reissues, often tooling alignments weren't paid a lot of attention to, leading to mismatched surfaces at what we call parting lines.

Art

That's why I was searching for an original issue with the old style brand name.

Edited by Luc Janssens

Yes, they were amazing kits for their time, and certainly neat subjects, however some bits of their engineering always seemed to be just a bit too "out there", and with later reissues, often tooling alignments weren't paid a lot of attention to, leading to mismatched surfaces at what we call parting lines. Along those same lines, while very precisely designed and manufactured, Monogram's series of antique and Classic car kits had a tendency, certainly those tooled in the 60's, to have more than a bit of rather toy-like locating points for parts that we adults today can find to be a bit off-putting, even though I'll still crack open a Duesenberg one of these days just to build it up.

Art

I can't speak for all of the Monogram classics, but their Mercedes 540K roadster and coupe kits were woefully inaccurate, body-wise. Both have the wrong side vents on the bonnet (they have vertical stamped louvers instead of correct horizontal chrome vents), and the coupe version (just an adapted version of the roadster with a separate top and too-large rear window) has wrong fender molding. Convex fender bottoms should be on the coupe, and a concave fender line on the bottom of the roadster. Even the pro collectors at AACA.org say they've never seen real ones like these.

Edited by sjordan2

I remember the kit that really changed the way I looked at car models was the Revellogram 59 Cadillac. I was floored by that kit, I would have been about 14 or 15 at the time

Yes and no, underhood and interior a big yes, body wise, not so much, why...

Due to the "promo like" front clip (bumper/grille/headlamp housing) with missing grille engraving under the headlamp bumperrettes.

IMHO they should've done that part in several sections, but overall the kit was a step in the right direction.

I can't speak for all of the Monogram classics, but their Mercedes 540K roadster and coupe kits were woefully inaccurate, body-wise. Both have the wrong side vents on the bonnet (they have vertical stamped louvers instead of correct horizontal chrome vents), and the coupe version (just an adapted version of the roadster with a separate top and too-large rear window) has wrong fender molding. Convex fender bottoms should be on the coupe, and a concave fender line on the bottom of the roadster. Even the pro collectors at AACA.org say they've never seen real ones like these.

Apparently there were louvered 540K hoods produced though! http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Mercedes-Benz/39_Mercedes_540K_AutobahnKurier_DV-06_PB_06.jpg

Although there might not be any 540K roadsters or kabriolet's having this hood today, it seems to me very possible that there could have been one so-fitted back in the day when Monogram first released their kit back about 1965 or so. And, here's a picture of a roadster with concave fender edges: http://www.supercars.net/gallery/119513/903/435654.jpg

So, apparently your sources haven't scoped out all the possibilities. Consider this, every 540K was coachbuilt to customer order, and it is quite likely that Monogram had access to a car matching the one they tooled in model kit form--and somewhere in these past 50 years, that original real car could well have been re-restored, and a different hood mounted. Lots of possibilities there.

Art

Apparently there were louvered 540K hoods produced though! http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Mercedes-Benz/39_Mercedes_540K_AutobahnKurier_DV-06_PB_06.jpg

Although there might not be any 540K roadsters or kabriolet's having this hood today, it seems to me very possible that there could have been one so-fitted back in the day when Monogram first released their kit back about 1965 or so. And, here's a picture of a roadster with concave fender edges: http://www.supercars.net/gallery/119513/903/435654.jpg

So, apparently your sources haven't scoped out all the possibilities. Consider this, every 540K was coachbuilt to customer order, and it is quite likely that Monogram had access to a car matching the one they tooled in model kit form--and somewhere in these past 50 years, that original real car could well have been re-restored, and a different hood mounted. Lots of possibilities there.

Art

As I mentioned, Monogram apparently based the coupe on their cabriolet (that's a whole separate issue: Sindelfingen roadster fenders vs. Cabriolet fenders. Too complicated to go into). This coupe was a special-order model, one of three built, and the kit fenders are wrong, as well as the side hood louvers. The first of them, shown below, was introduced at the 1936 Paris Salon, originally painted brown with tan plaid cloth seats. It's the only prewar Mercedes known to have come from the factory with chrome wire wheels. I have pictures of a blue version, but not the third.

Picture59_zps5e3821c4.png

Picture20_zpsa0af084c.png

But the main irregularity in both kits is between the combination of hood louvers with fender design. the recessed lower fenders are for the Sindelfingen special roadster, not the cabriolet A or the special coupe.

Edited by sjordan2

Please re-read my post. As I mentioned, the roadster did indeed have the concave fender lines at the bottom, and not the one-off coupe that Monogram issued incorrectly.

As for hood louvers, the vertical ones would have been more accurate for the 500K, but there are some examples of 540K Cabriolets with vertical louvers.

I agree that the coupe Monogram did leaves an awful lot to be desired. That appears to have been a rather quickie modification--it never looked good to me at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got an Aoshima Subaru Sambar TC Super Charger, a mini truck with open deck that has impressed me to no end as I painted the MANY parts making up this tiny truck. The fit was astounding with all parts just falling into place. Every part has a locator and/or tiny pins to insure accurate placement. This is a link to my build that's still in progress and there's a link in it to a review done on the panel version with photos of the trees. This was one of the most detailed and pleasing kits I've come across in a long time.

SubaruSambaGreenDSC_1439_zps460e881d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...