Model Cars Magazine Forum

How much should model kits cost?

"The rate of inflation" is but an AVERAGE!

Inflation is the sustained rise in the cost of goods and services over time, measured as an annual percentage increase–that percentage being the rate of inflation. Inflation is actually a decrease in the buying power of the dollar over time.

If the inflation rate is running at 2% annually, an item that costs $1.00 today will cost $1.02 a year from now. The higher the rate of inflation, the less buying power the dollar has over time.

From investopedia.com: To measure inflation, a number of goods that are representative of the economy are put together into what is referred to as a "market basket." The cost of this basket is then compared over time. This results in a price index, which is the cost of the market basket today as a percentage of the cost of that identical basket in the starting year.

I have seen what the store pays for models, there is a 100% mark up.

Marketing 101... stores must mark stuff up a minimum of 100%, which is referred to as a "key". A while back I did a real analysis on opening up a hobby shop. I realized I'd have to generate $20,000 a month in sales. A little store front in a suburban shopping center is over $3000 a month.

I want to know where your buying kits for $15.00 to $16.00.......I'm paying $23.00 to $29.00 @ kit

I go to a lot of shows. There are several dealers competing in the $15-20 range for new kits. Of course they are not paying the costs of running a retail store front. You can always find cheap kits at shows, resales and close outs from dealers who buy collections and collector/builders thinning their hoard in the $5-10 range. In fact at the two clubs I frequent, guys regularly bring a case or two of kits to unload within those numbers.

As mentioned earlier, the annual inflation rate is based on benchmarks related to a limited number of subjects, and does not take into account a wide array of products and services in a multitude of industries, particularly the unique market influences on specialized ones. The general published inflation rate does not go to everything across the board. Just ask anyone who lives on Social Security.

Edited by sjordan2

And yes, many things today are remarkably cheaper, even unbelievably cheaper, than they were years ago. A computer with the power of the one I'm using to write this, that I bought used for $400, would have been practically impossible to build in 1964, would have filled a LARGE building if it COULD have been built, and would have cost millions of dollars.

This is the technology curve, completely separate from inflation. I remember my friend Larry got the first Beta-Max VCR in our neighborhood. He paid something like $1200 for it. I waited a bit and got my first VHS machine on sale for $499, a top loader with a wired remote! At the bottom of the curve you could buy VCRs for $50.

People have pointed out that your smart phone has more power than the computers that sent Apollo to the moon. I had the very first computer in my neighborhood. I was working for a huge food company in 1986 as a consultant. I had found a better job, quit, but agreed to complete their CAD application. So two computer geeks came to my house to 'install' an IBM AT, then an $8000 machine.

The first thing I did at my new employer to start a CADD department, was to buy two Apollo mini-computers for $200,000. A year later, the next version had twice the power and was half that cost. And technology continued to march on from there... my $500 laptop has more power and storage than any of those machines!

Edited by Tom Geiger

My opinion on cost....

Then and now

Then, kids were the prime buyers of kits, now those same kids are still buying kits as adults. Adults can afford to pay more.

Then, crude oil was plentiful and cheap and things were not made of plastic as they are now. Now, Crude costs more and more things are made of petrochemicals, including the model car kits plus plastic houses our computers, make our automobile interiors and body panels, plastics account for much in building materials. I have speakers that used to be housed in wood that are now housed in plastics...plus plastic bottles and other containers are prevalent today.

Then, model companies got paid by carmakers to make promo models which in turn were the basis for kits. Now, license fees are costly and to get approved means a lot of scrutiny by the licensor of the product to make sure it satisfies the brand image.

Then, rent of a store or ownership thereof was cheaper. Now, very expensive to lease one, even in a crappy area. With the exception of a small blip, property values tend to go up.

Then, kids tended to do more with their hands such as crafts, art, and models...plus sports and outdoorsy things. Now , kids tend to play video games, use social network sites to access friends and few are interested in models of any kind.

When I was a kid (teenager) we could afford a crappy car with a part time job and we tinkered and hot rodded them and had a genuine interest in them. The cars were simple to work on and we learned a lot by watching dad or the mechanic at the corner station. It was even cooler if your dad was a real mechanic or raced cars. Todays cars are highly technical and hard to understand. That is why there are colleges to train people in working on them which includes advances in metallurgy and plastics, computer programming and emmission control science, plus the new hybrid and electric car technology...hardly stuff you can build in your back yard. Friends in Europe and other places on the planet have shown amazement that teens can afford cars at all. Of course this has changed as the pool of cheap running cars has diminished from programs like cash for clunkers. We will never see $100 grinders that run again.

We will never see $100 grinders that run again.

Inflation again! A hulk is worth $500 in scrap metal alone. And those $100 cars are now $1500!

On the other side of it, anyone who can fog up a spoon can lease a brand new car. So a lot of kids just go for that $199 lease special.

...advances in metallurgy and plastics, computer programming and emmission control science, plus the new hybrid and electric car technology...hardly stuff you can build in your back yard....

Well, maybe you can.....http://contest.techbriefs.com/2010/entries/transportation/871

20100629203737.solo_hull_0001.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Ah, the evils of inflation. Back when I was kid in the 1960's, model car kits sold for $2.00, and comic books sold for 12 cents. Today model car kits are about $20.00. Ten times more expensive than in the 1960's. The last time I bought a regular comic book 5 years ago, they were selling $2.99. Looking at that, the price of model kits doesn't look too bad.

My buying power has changed a lot since I was kid back in the 60's. I can afford to buy more model kits now. My allowance back then was $1.00 per week. Out of that 50 cent went to savings. The rest I could spend as I wished. By the early 70's I started mowing lawns for extra cash. I got $2.00 per lawn. And I thought that was pretty good. My first real tax paying job was at a McDonalds in the summer of 1974. I don't remember exactly, but I got either $2.00 per hour, or $2.25, before taxes. In 1977 I had a job at the Pillsbury A mill, factory work, and I was making $6.94 per hour. That was good money. With it I bought my first new car, a 1977 Plymouth Volare Road Runner, loaded with most every option, for right around $6,000.

The summer of 1973, just before the first gas crisis, regular grade gasoline was going for average of 32 cents per gallon. Today I filled up my car at $3.45 for regular unleaded. Hmm, it looks like model prices and gasoline have gone up at about the same rate.

So, how much should model kits cost? That's a load question. I'm shocked when I see a new kit at $20.00 or more. But, that's because I grew up with $2.00 kits. The question is how many hours of work do I have to do to earn the money to buy that kit?

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I haven't seen one person mention the model kits themselves. Take the average model kit from 1964 and an average kit today, not exactly an apple to apples comparison.

How many threads start off with a rant from somebody about the horrible kit they bought, then as the thread progresses some old fart who built that kit as a kid will explain just how old the kit in question actually is (as well as how deep the snow / how steep the hill was as they walked to school).

Edited by Aaronw

The summer of 1973, just before the first gas crisis, regular grade gasoline was going for average of 32 cents per gallon. Today I filled up my car at $3.45 for regular unleaded. Hmm, it looks like model prices and gasoline have gone up at about the same rate.

Scott

OIL. Why do models and gasoline seem to have gone up at the same rate? OIL. What does it take to make gas and plastic? OIL. What is very expensive these days? OIL. Everyone seems to overlook this tidbit.

Edited by Thatswhatshesaid

but as far as kit quality goes, I'd much rather have current offerings. right down to the packaging, today's models are much superior. Revell & Tamiya instruction sheets rock. having a little plastic bag and piece of tissue keeping parts separate & scratch free is great. anyone open a mid 60s kit and find a tire self welded to the hood?

Q: if two kits (same vehicle) were available with one molded in a colored plastic (red, black, yellow - pick a color) or in plain old white, would you pay _____ $ for the white kit?

some of the reissued kits which were hard to paint because of their mold color are now available in white. I think that's another bonus.