Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Mothers Worry"

Mr.Zombie

Hello,

Hello,

I just finished building and painting Ed Roths "Mothers Worry" by Revell.

I tried to respect the original and stay as faithful to the actual kit as possible, but I altered some of it anyhow. The changes I made:

- added a scratch built distributor

- added plugwires

- added gas tank cap

- scratchbuilt the floor out of wooden sticks

- scratch built the 8-ball

- replaced the shifter and steering collumn with wires

- added carb stacks

- turned rope steering wheel as the original kit part was just a horrible crooket element.

- swapped the legs of the fly with thin wire

- opted for real furr instead of the hair element

- added numberplate

- added the Alter Boys club plaque

The paintwork on the car itself is based on a T-Bucket racer built for this years Annual Race of Gentlemen in Wilwood, the "Sachem Special". Body was painted with a rattle can, the numbers, names and the indian chief were painted on freehand.

The figure was painted almost exclusivley with acrylics, using black oil for very few washes around the mouth and heavy coats of high gloss nail polish on the eyes and in the mouth. The Hair was glued on with transparent laquer. The shirt is the same checkers as the shirt from Curt in American Graffitti.

Enjoy!

14962025063_6554c237d9_c.jpg

15396170497_93413f5bfa_c.jpg

15558497646_99b1c56687_c.jpg

15395561959_543c61ca1a_c.jpg

15395562139_3ec022c4f7_c.jpg

14962025853_a91c15e7c0_c.jpg

Edited by Harry P.

Wow. Absolutely amazing work! I don't think I've ever seen one of these things with as much detail as you put into this one.

I'm about to start a Hawk "Freddy Flameout" and your work is VERY inspirational to me--you're giving me something to shoot for with that.

Well done and model on! B)

Wow. Absolutely amazing work! I don't think I've ever seen one of these things with as much detail as you put into this one.

Thanks. There is a dude, Weldonmc who made the whole range of those kits for the NHRA(?) Museum I think, he did some nice work on his, and was a huge inspiration, as in "how far do I push it". Check his work out here:

http://ratfinkmodels.blogspot.dk/2011_03_01_archive.html

Nice job, those are some pretty simple kits. They respond really well to a bit of imaginative detailing and scratch building. Like what you did with the shirt. I've seen Weldon's work on his versions of Mother's Worry and others, they're nice in their own sort of way. Like yours because you added your own details. Looks great!

I've got two Mother's Worry on the bench right now, that I'm building for my nephew. First one is a first issue,it is built stock with the exception of plug wires and a mural on the back of the shirt. I wanted to build it like a well built 60's model.

Second one is from the last release, which is being built with some additions, 389 heads from AMT original '36 Ford, blower from same or '40 Ford (parts given to me from late uncles stash), interior will be flocked, dropped front (resin) axle, scratch built quick change rear end, added bed from '56 Ford Pick Up not sure what vintage that part was, it is being painted with acrylic (Wicked Colors) will get a clear coat of polished future. Both models ride on stock wheels and tires.

I've built quite a few of the Roth Kits, didn't realize they were accepted here as legit models or I would have posted one or three. A lot of people look down on them and Weird Ohs, probably because they are so simple that they never got built by anyone other than kids.

Really hope that Ed Roth's widow would quit being so weird with releasing the rights to Ed's stuff. She is actively going after anyone who sells anything remotely related to Ed Roth's artwork, models or slogans, she wants money. She is the reason why Jimmy Flintstone quit selling his "original" mastered Ed Roth items. She wasn't even around Ed when he was doing his thing, she even discouraged Ed from doing his artwork, which is why after they moved to Utah that he only built a few "cars" and trikes. Too bad, there were a lot of interesting things that came from Ed's mind.

Nice job, those are some pretty simple kits.

I've built quite a few of the Roth Kits, didn't realize they were accepted here as legit models or I would have posted one or three.

Simple... I disagree. If you go by partscount, yes. But the fit is just horrible, so if you want to have it decent, and not a gluebomb, it takes a good portion of cutting, cleaning, sanding and whatnot to make it fit. There are Tamiya kits with 1000 parts that build faster.

I dunno if it's a legit model. I didn't rally care :)

Thank you all for the kind comments. Glad you like it.