Model Cars Magazine Forum

Remember when Kits were $ 2.00 to $5.00 ?

Pong created them. Even though Pong showed up about 20 years later.

Scott

PONG, got a lot of miles out that comment ..LOL.. I've been to war gents.. video games have zero to do with killing. No more than Roadrunner cartoons made us abuse coyotes .. human depravity has been an issue since we crawled out of the primordial ooze .. Can we please get back to kits that cost $2 ? Where are they ? I can't even find a builder for $2 !!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I see 3d printing as a big part of the hobby in the future. Go to a site and select the parts for your kit. Engine, chassis , body ... Think of it as an ultimate revell parts packs. With a large database of parts to chose from. You will be able to even select the scale you want.

There are some interesting projects here that are being created using 3d parts.

Also there is hope for people creating things. There are several sites dedicated to DIY projects in a wide range of subjects. If some of us create model related projects we may catch some interest for the hobby.

Bottom line living in the past serves no valid purpose unless you are a historian. Take advantage of the present and look to the future.

This is a very good post right here .

Edited by martinfan5

Kids not liking to build models has nothing to do with video games. Anyone who thinks that is mistaken. The reason is cultural. My kids don't spend a lot of time playing video games. They do play them, but aren't addicted. They Appreciate my models but have no interest in doing it themselves anymore. Its a lack of patience, and need to be entertained constantly. The microwave generation.

I think if we want to get more young people into building, you have to focus on the 20 somethings. But what do I know...

I don't think the honny will die. However, with the price of things and so on it'll get more and more exclusive which has already started by closing the mom & pop local stores. The large stores with big inventories will be relegated to large population centres and for us in the hinterland, well, it is eBay or the big suppliers with websites.

Kids have a lot more things to occupy their time.

the internet - youtube, social media

tv programming- most households have one or 200 channels of programming

cell phones text messaging

Its no wonder kids don't have the time or the interest in model building.

I believe model building will survive as a hobby but it is going to have to evolve from how most of us think of the hobby. As stated 3d printing is just starting to have an impact and will have a major impact on the hobby. Plastic model kits have only been around since the 60s. Before that most building was done with wood.

Technology has had a major impact on our lives. Some of it is good and some bad. Regardless it will continue to shape what we do with our free time.

Simply put, kids don't build models because their friends don't. They play video games and other modern kid pursuits because their friends do. They want to fit in and identify with their herd. Same reason we built models as a kid, and why we still do and congregate here! :)

Could not have said it better Tom!

As a kid in the early 70's, we played baseball in the summer, football in the fall, rode our bikes everywhere and most of us were into cars in some shape or fashion.

I remember kits being in the $2-5 range, and it meant raking a lot of leaves, taking soda bottles to the store or saving up my allowance to afford them!

I remember learning how a car went together as a kid from building models and asking older kids questions. My love of cars as a kid has lead to my career in the auto parts industry and I still enjoy learning about mechanical things to this day, whether it be in 1:1 or scale plastic!

To me it doesn't seem like it's been all that long that I could walk into any model shop / toy store / or retail store and buy current kits for under $5.each

This is just a sampling of my shelf.

The most expensive one here is only $6.49. one is $4.99 . I have more in the stash than most of the stores I visit have on the shelf,,I guess that might have something to do with why I have a hard time spending upper teesn and into the 20-25 dollar range on model kits. That and the fact I'm cheap .

Life is a mixed bag, and so is comparing the past , present and future of this hobby.

The models were cheap back in the '60s, compared to now. But nobody make as much money back then as they do now. Dick Radditz made about $60,000 pitching for the Red Sox back in 1965. And he was paid well.

Model kits were modified promotional models back in the '60s. Nobody would accept that level of detail in today's kits. More scratch building back then.

It isn't just inflation that pushed the price of the kits up. It is volume of sales (economies of scale, no pun intended) and promo business helped pay to design the basic kits 50 years ago.

The kits today are very nice. Less extra custom and additional parts, but fit and detailed better than the old kits.

There will always be models. I doubt 3D printing will kill kit manufacturing. Prices will rise, but who knows how much.

There will always be models.

I remember being in museums in Italy where there were scale renderings of Roman Chariots that survived some 2000 years. And I remember seeing copies of wagons and Conestogas in the Smithsonian, again attributed to the era. Heck, within the last year I was out near Lancaster, PA and the Amish store had hand made Amish buggies for sale. Someone always has looked at their transportation and whittled out a scale copy for entertainment. The medium they work in may change, but their will always be car (or whatever supersedes cars) models.

I remember being in museums in Italy where there were scale renderings of Roman Chariots that survived some 2000 years. And I remember seeing copies of wagons and Conestogas in the Smithsonian, again attributed to the era. Heck, within the last year I was out near Lancaster, PA and the Amish store had hand made Amish buggies for sale. Someone always has looked at their transportation and whittled out a scale copy for entertainment. The medium they work in may change, but their will always be car (or whatever supersedes cars) models.
There is an old logging camp cafeteria that is now more of a tourist thing in Eureka, CA, They have a "working" (parts move but not actually steam powered) model steam donkey on display with all the parts carved from wood. I'm guessing 1/4 - 1/2 scale since it is about 5 feet tall. It was made by a logger around the turn of the century (1900s) in his spare time.
This is a steam donkey for those who don't know.
IMG_1924_zpsfd5607d0.jpg