Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

Two major scores IMHO today.First I was able to buy a big box of vintage license plates from here in my home town.They go back several decades,all belonged to the same person and best of all they all have the same number and are in their original wrappers.These are going to look great on my garage wall.

My second score was a lifetime subscription to Rodders Journal Magazine today.I have been in a regular subscriber for several years already but this was a very limited time offer I received by email yesterday.

Yeah I am am a happy camper at this moment!

• 2 weeks later...

Got a very nice Marx tin service station, that friend found at a swap meet for me for only $35! And it's in very, very good shape! It's missing all of the plastic pieces. Pumps, cars, attendants, etc. But it's not all bent up. No scratches that I can see. Everything is straight and clean.

I've been looking for one of these for years now. One of my favorite toys I had as kid. Most I've seen now days go for over $100, and are not as nice as the one my buddy found for $35. I'm very happy.

i also purchased Auto World's Petty vs. Baker slot car set. Very, very cool. Tried ordering it from Auto World themselves. But, I got recording that they were busy, and to leave my number and they'd get right back to me. I call a week ago Friday. About an hour and half before they closed. They called back sometime Monday morning, while I was at work. And since they didn't call me back before they closed that Friday, I had gone on eBay that night, and found a seller selling it for less than them with free shipping. A great slot car set. But, poor customer service on Auto World's part. Sorry Auto World. I would have purchased it from you guys directly if you had gotten back to me that Friday. Oh, well. At least I got the set.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks all:)

Tom, so here's the story....I'm a tech at a chevy dealer, and I would always work on it when the car would come in for service twice a year. well, I got to know the owner of it over time. so in the spring of  this year he text me and asked if i was interested in buying the car, at the time, I wanted it, but the price was more than I could afford comfortably, so I reluctantly passed. About 3 weeks ago, he texts me again and gave me a figure I could not pass on......I was floored.....so I did the deal. The big plus of it, is I know the car well from working on it over the past few years, so I really know what shape the car is in, versus buying it, and finding all sorts of suprises after the fact. I'm a happy guy! also of note, at almost 46 years old, it's my first Ford, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to pick up my wedding band today, and figured why not get a new watch too
IMG_1318_zpsmpgtwvfp.jpg

Cool watch. Glad to see I am not the only one who still wears one. I have heard they are not so popular now since everyone has a cell phone. I still like them and wear one ( not that nice ) everyday.

Cool watch. Glad to see I am not the only one who still wears one. I have heard they are not so popular now since everyone has a cell phone. I still like them and wear one ( not that nice ) everyday.

Nope, I don't wear a watch, as you said it's redundant equipment.  I own a wedding ring but don't wear it, I tried when I got married but just couldn't get used to it.  I don't wear any jewelry at all.  Funny when you consider that my family was in the jewelry business!