Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

I had a similar situation not all that long ago. After loyal service to the same, uh,... person for 14 years, I was given a severance package and my walking papers. No fanfare, no celebration, just the end of the line. I haven't worked a day since then.

I just got back with a new toy: a 2016 Martin D28 John Lennon guitar.  This is not the 75th anniversary edition but the follow up series.  It has the Vintage Tone System which makes a new guitar sounds like a vintage one.  This one is aged to sound like one from 1965, the year that Martin gave guitars to Lennon, McCartney and Harrison.  It just booms right out of the box (it just arrived this morning and I watched the guy take the guitar and case out of the shipping carton).  I was the first person not at the factory who touched it. What a thrill!

nice score!

• 2 weeks later...

I received my star gazing (12 x 50) binoculars yesterday, and that pleases me very much. (A tripod mount for them was also delivered today, the tripod itself having been purchased a few months ago.) These will certainly tide me over until later this year, when I buy my telescope. (As luck would have it, last night was the first time in the last two weeks that the sky was completely overcast, and it looks like more of the same tonight.)

Star gazing ??  Looks more like it's aimed at your neighbors house. What's going on over there ? Just kidding. Nice set up.

Ha! Yep, keeping them horizontal like that just aids with the overall balance when moving the tripod around. Clarity and definition with these seems good, I checked out some birds and stuff, and they seem to focus really well, whereas my older binoculars (which I can't find at the moment), were very fiddly, and never seemed to focus really well. The older pair may need collimating, I'm not real sure.

I received my star gazing (12 x 50) binoculars yesterday, and that pleases me very much. (A tripod mount for them was also delivered today, the tripod itself having been purchased a few months ago.) These will certainly tide me over until later this year, when I buy my telescope. (As luck would have it, last night was the first time in the last two weeks that the sky was completely overcast, and it looks like more of the same tonight.)

Nice setup. When you choose to get serious here's the set I use :rolleyes: They're Miyauchi Bj100iBF's

4-11-2013%20miyauchi%202_zpsmpojramh.jpg

Edited by Crazy Ed

That is a classic Zeppelin!

It is good to know that I'm not the only person in the world who still buys and prefers CDs to MP3 downloads. :D

me2! Btw what do you use to play cds? I kind of born the wrong times--- nowadays portable cd players just out of production, and i really hate to buy second hand....

me2! Btw what do you use to play cds? I kind of born the wrong times--- nowadays portable cd players just out of production, and i really hate to buy second hand....

Any DVD / Blu-Ray Player should be able to also play CD's ;) But I prefer my old Record Player and Vinyl 12" Albums!

Any DVD / Blu-Ray Player should be able to also play CD's ;) But I prefer my old Record Player and Vinyl 12" Albums!

Exactly! I play CDs with my computer but it just shouldn't be that way, I mean, use computer to play CDs, no!:unsure:

Nice setup. When you choose to get serious here's the set I use :rolleyes: They're Miyauchi Bj100iBF's

Actually, my next step will probably be directly to a refractor telescope. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of brightness on the horizon and very tall trees that restrict my view here, so how far I'll pursue this is questionable.

Found a '41 Chevy 2-dr sedan, literally in a shed. Has a layer of dust on it an inch thick, but looks like it's a creampuff under the filth. Factory stock, light gray, good to excellent original interior, would look like this cleaned up. Hmmmm....last registered about 20 years ago. Unbelievably low mileage showing on the clock, but the condition bears it out. Guy's asking a little too much, but still, if I could get her running cheap (only supposed to need a starter and fuel pump). I've kinda wanted a "grandpa" car for a long time, and this would fill the bill nicely.

It's Special and Deluxe

Actually, my next step will probably be directly to a refractor telescope. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of brightness on the horizon and very tall trees that restrict my view here, so how far I'll pursue this is questionable.

Oh, I got them also :rolleyes:. along with a Celestron First Scope 80 and a TeleVue Pronto I've got this:

Now if you want t talk 'bout reflectors thee's several of those here also.............

Oh, I got them also :rolleyes:. along with a Celestron First Scope 80 and a TeleVue Pronto I've got this:

Now if you want t talk 'bout reflectors thee's several of those here also.............

I wish I lived out in the middle of nowhere like you do, Ed, but I live in the suburbs, and it may just not be as practical for me. Still and all, a reasonable sized (I'm looking at a Meade 102mm), isn't too horribly expensive (always a concern with me), so I might still just go for it.

I wish I lived out in the middle of nowhere like you do, Ed, but I live in the suburbs, and it may just not be as practical for me. Still and all, a reasonable sized (I'm looking at a Meade 102mm), isn't too horribly expensive (always a concern with me), so I might still just go for it.

I started gathering my equipment when I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area. Hardly a "Dark Sky" location, although within a hour there were locations that allowed for reasonable viewing. Might I suggest (if you haven't already) look for local Astronomy Clubs and go to Star Parties if they have them. If you get lucky they'll have a Telescope Loaner program that'd allow you to try out different types and sizes of scopes prior to layin' out your hard earned cash. Were I to be limited to 1 Scope I'd have to go for a 10" F-6 Dob mounted Reflector. really good all around size and f-ratio.