Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

Found a '41 Chevy 2-dr sedan, literally in a shed. Has a layer of dust on it an inch thick, but looks like it's a creampuff under the filth. Factory stock, light gray, good to excellent original interior, would look like this cleaned up. Hmmmm....last registered about 20 years ago. Unbelievably low mileage showing on the clock, but the condition bears it out. Guy's asking a little too much, but still, if I could get her running cheap (only supposed to need a starter and fuel pump). I've kinda wanted a "grandpa" car for a long time, and this would fill the bill nicely.

It's Special and Deluxe

Man that looks so nice !

Man that looks so nice !

Yes, that one does. :D This is the condition of the old girl in the shed.  Image result for barn find cars

I've gone back to visit the one I found several times and took a little polishing compound last time. While she won't look as good as the one in the photo, she'll clean up pretty well. Most of the paint appears to be original, which is hard to believe...the tell is a lack of masking lines on the rubber and chrome and no overspray on the jambs or wiring, etc...though I've seen cars here recently that were that old with mostly original paint. The paint under the dirt is dull and faded, but a little compound will bring the gloss back up pretty well. Several of the laminated safety-glass windows are separating and bubbling around the edges and the rubber is hard everywhere. There's no sign of rodent infestation in the interior, amazingly, but some of the old fabric wiring insulation in the engine bay is chewed. Otherwise the engine bay is remarkably clean.

The car belonged to the current owner's grandmother who apparently drove it well into the 1990s, parked it when the fuel pump went out, and then "mechanics" working on it apparently burned out the starter cranking and cranking and cranking and cranking and cranking and cranking...

I haven't bought it yet and I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to. I really need to get rid of one car before I get another one. But I WANT it. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

me2! Btw what do you use to play cds? I kind of born the wrong times--- nowadays portable cd players just out of production, and i really hate to buy second hand....

At home I have an old Akai component system stereo from 1980s: 2 cassette decks, CD player, equalizer, receiver and a timer.  I also have DC player in my car (2006 Scion xB - same car as Toyota bB).  I don't have any portable DC units  but I really have no need of one of those.

I started gathering my equipment when I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area. Hardly a "Dark Sky" location, although within a hour there were locations that allowed for reasonable viewing. Might I suggest (if you haven't already) look for local Astronomy Clubs and go to Star Parties if they have them. If you get lucky they'll have a Telescope Loaner program that'd allow you to try out different types and sizes of scopes prior to layin' out your hard earned cash. Were I to be limited to 1 Scope I'd have to go for a 10" F-6 Dob mounted Reflector. really good all around size and f-ratio.

I'd love a larger Scope, but $200-$250 is about the upper limit of what I'm willing to part with. As to clubs, a good idea, but I have no car at the moment, and probably won't until next year sometime, so getting around is troublesome, to say the least.

Got a new Optic for my .308 Light Chassis. It's a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 with a MRAD reticle. 

That's a nice setup you've got there. Funny I looked up the Specs on the Light Chassis .308 and it's only ~1lb lighter than my Wood Springfield M1A National Match!

I'd love a larger Scope, but $200-$250 is about the upper limit of what I'm willing to part with. As to clubs, a good idea, but I have no car at the moment, and probably won't until next year sometime, so getting around is troublesome, to say the least.

There's no hurry to get a bigger Scope. Most of the things you're looking at have been there for quite a while and will be for some time to come. For your next Scope I'd suggest a used one for two reasons, 1. They're Loads cheaper generally. Heck check around your area and you may be suprised to find a "Gem" for a REALLY good price. 2. saying the Astronomy Bug wears off there's a good chance to recoop your money. No matter your choice I hope you have MANY Years of enjoyment. There's many lifetimes of things to see up there.

There's no hurry to get a bigger Scope. Most of the things you're looking at have been there for quite a while and will be for some time to come. For your next Scope I'd suggest a used one for two reasons, 1. They're Loads cheaper generally. Heck check around your area and you may be suprised to find a "Gem" for a REALLY good price. 2. saying the Astronomy Bug wears off there's a good chance to recoop your money. No matter your choice I hope you have MANY Years of enjoyment. There's many lifetimes of things to see up there.

Yep, my fear at the moment, is that the passion I feel right now, may burn out like a Roman candle, leaving me stuck with something that's never going to fulfill its usefulness. I'll tread lightly, that's for sure.

Yep, my fear at the moment, is that the passion I feel right now, may burn out like a Roman candle, leaving me stuck with something that's never going to fulfill its usefulness. I'll tread lightly, that's for sure.

Kevin if you have any questions you think I may be able to help with feel free to PM me. If I know the answer so will you ;)

Picked this beast up. 1998 Chev K1500. Needs a bit of work to get it where I want it, but could pass it up. Always loved this body style. First task, get rid of that Mossy Oak sticker. No redneck garbage on my truck! The ultimate plan will be to turn this into a camping/expedition vehicle.

IMG_20160616_092305_01_zpsfwkrmbvd.jpg

Picked this beast up. 1998 Chev K1500. Needs a bit of work to get it where I want it, but could pass it up. Always loved this body style. First task, get rid of that Mossy Oak sticker. No redneck garbage on my truck! The ultimate plan will be to turn this into a camping/expedition vehicle.

Good looking truck. I have a '92 2-WD one of those that broke a valve spring at close to 300,000 miles. Great vehicle overall, lived through a lot of abuse at the hands of its previous owner.

Looks like yours already has some useful offroad gear, judging from the hooks under the bumper.

Great trucks. I have a 1990 2wd reg cab shorty stepside. Currently 402,XXX kms (250,000 mi give or take a little) and no major issues. Transmission rebuilt @ 160,000k and have changed the alternator, the water pump and the fuel pump. Engine internals have never been touched. I have had the truck since I was about 20 years old and like a typical twenty-year-old I wasn't gentle on it back then (120,XXXk on it when I got it). Still gets driven spiritedly on occasion and will chirp the tires shifting into second if I have my foot in it. You will like yours. They are close to bulletproof IMO.

Sticker removal is easy. A fresh razor blade and some patience. You'll never know it was there.

Edited by Toner283

Good looking truck. I have a '92 2-WD one of those that broke a valve spring at close to 300,000 miles. Great vehicle overall, lived through a lot of abuse at the hands of its previous owner.

Looks like yours already has some useful offroad gear, judging from the hooks under the bumper.

Great trucks. I have a 1990 2wd reg cab shorty stepside. Currently 402,XXX kms (250,000 mi give or take a little) and no major issues. Transmission rebuilt @ 160,000k and have changed the alternator, the water pump and the fuel pump. Engine internals have never been touched. I have had the truck since I was about 20 years old and like a typical twenty-year-old I wasn't gentle on it back then (120,XXXk on it when I got it). Still gets driven spiritedly on occasion and will chirp the tires shifting into second if I have my foot in it. You will like yours. They are close to bulletproof IMO.

Sticker removal is easy. A fresh razor blade and some patience. You'll never know it was there.

Thanks guys. When we got married, my wife was driving a 1991 2Wd. Should never have sold it.

Detailing cars at the local VW/Porsche/BMW dealerships put me through university, so before long, this thing will get detailed to within an inch of its life. Looking as close to new as possible. Then the mods begin. :)

• 3 weeks later...

00202 epVmfS3AbK 1200x900

This one followed me home the other day!   2006 Pt Cruiser GT, Turbo Automatic. One female owner, 61,000 miles.   

And yes, there is a kit of this one so I didn't break any modelers rules!  :P

I have always like them PT's more so of the  model you have there.

Good for you Tom ??

This one followed me home the other day!   2006 Pt Cruiser GT, Turbo Automatic. One female owner, 61,000 miles.   

Nice little PT convert, Tom. Just be ready to spend around $2000 when it needs a timing belt at around 100k. 

It's prudent to do it earlier, like at 80-90k, especially on the turbo, as underhood temps accelerate belt deterioration. You'll also be well advised to replace the belt tensioners, front crank seal and cam seals, AND the water pump while you're in there. And only use MOPAR parts. The aftermarket stuff for these cars is outsourced offshore trash and fails early.

Ask me how I know.  ;)

I'd also recommend switching to full synthetic oil. I've torn down multiple engines that have used it, and it really makes a difference in the internal wear characteristics of any engine. We got right at 200,000 miles on a Geo Metro 3-cylinder, and when I went in it to look at the rod bearings, they  looked like they would have easily gone for another 20 or 30k. The 160k PT engine I was in recently for cylinder head work looked almost brand new inside.

WATCH THE TEMP and the coolant level on the PT, too. The plastic-tanked radiators are known to begin leaking, and the electric fan hub sometimes detaches itself from the shaft. If you drive one in the "red" zone for long, a warped head and blown head gasket will be the result.

Clunking and banging coming from the front end starts with the failure of the outboard tie-rod ends, then the inners and the balljoints all about the same time.

The batteries are also under-spec'd for the application. High underhood temps make batteries fail much more frequently that you'd think they would. The early cars (with a simple modification) will accept a larger group 24 battery in place of the smaller OEM-style unit, and it will last longer.

Actually, they're really pretty good little cars in spite of the whining and horror stories...just a pain to service when you have to do anything to the front (RH) of the engine.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I always liked PT Cruisers but nobody I know does. Bill I remember the saga you posted about working on one that I believe was a friends. Two grand for a timing belt ? Ouch !

Yeah, some of the websites say $500-$750 for a timing belt job, but by the time you deal with the extra complexity of the turbo model, and the really required tensioners, seals and water pump (you HAVE to remove the timing belt to do a water pump or any of the seals on the end of the engine, so you may as well do them all when you do the belt) plus the almost inevitable broken fasteners...then throw in an oil change, air filter, plugs and wires that will most likely be finished by the time you do the belt, you're up to two grand easy. A design flaw also allows the water pump to leak coolant on to the timing belt if the pump seal goes bad, which will hasten the belt's demise considerably. The Chinee pumps, even the "lifetime guarantee" aftermarket pumps, last about a year. And the guarantee DOES NOT COVER LABOR TO REPLACE THE THING ALONG WITH THE TIMING BELT, which drives it. That's why it's IMPERATIVE TO USE OEM PARTS. 

There's another potential problem too. "Mechanics" who quote lowball prices to do the job will often FORCE the timing belt on the sprockets without getting everything out of the way..."saving money". The problem with this is that IF the side of the timing belt gets nicked, it WILL fail prematurely, leaving you stranded by the side of the road, or worse yet, resulting in a full engine shut-down on an interstate with potentially dangerous or fatal results...because when the engine quits, the power steering and power brake assist quit too.

The engine compartment is EXTREMELY tight due to the cute retro styling, and though it could have EASILY been engineered to be simple to service by allowing only ONE MORE INCH between some components, nobody in the design chain thought it was necessary to make the thing reasonably easy to work on. So it's a double-barreled bugger.

Cute and fun to drive though. Keep it well maintained by NON-CHIMPS with USA-quality parts and it will give you hundreds of thousands of miles.;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

00202 epVmfS3AbK 1200x900

And yes, there is a kit of this one so I didn't break any modelers rules!  :P

There are modeling rules that state you have to own a vehicle that is available as model kit only? I'm in big trouble! The only car I've ever owned that meets that requirement was my '77 Volare. I wad a '62 Buick. But, rather than a 2-door Electra like AMT's kit, mine was a 4-door LeSabre. A sedan no less! I'm sorry. I didn't know the rules before this. When you guys figure out the appropriate punishment, please let me know. ?

Nice looking Cruiser by the way, Tom.

There are modeling rules that state you have to own a vehicle that is available as model kit only? I'm in big trouble!

Yes Scott.  I checked with the model car governing authorities and they approved the PT Cruiser convertible.  I was thinking of buying a red Kia Soul, but the board denied my application. I squeaked  by on my 2000 Jaguar S Type.  My application was denied until I showed that there was a large scale diecast, even in the same color! 

Yes Scott.  I checked with the model car governing authorities and they approved the PT Cruiser convertible.  I was thinking of buying a red Kia Soul, but the board denied my application. I squeaked  by on my 2000 Jaguar S Type.  My application was denied until I showed that there was a large scale diecast, even in the same color! 

Man! Am I in trouble! Please don't let the model car governing authorities know what I've done. I hear they can be brutal.

Edited by unclescott58