Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

On 1/1/2020 at 8:17 AM, Jantrix said:

This would be Willow Persephone Mattis, my granddaughter, born yesterday morning. 7lbs, 2oz of perfection. My wife and I are just over the moon. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful new year. 

FB_IMG_1577836330512.jpg

The best gift anyone can have !!!!!

My new baby is a '96 5-speed Land Rover Discovery with about 90K on the clock. One owner, from the same guy I bought the white XJ6 from last year. 

He's getting older and downsizing his fleet. One of the reasons we've been friends for about 100 years is because we have similar interests and taste in vehicles, so I've been getting first dibs on some keen stuff. The Rover includes a spare low-mile takeout engine, and a pickup load of parts.

I'd intended to buy a 4X4 after I got moved West, but the deal on this thing was too good to pass up, even if I have to pay to get it there.

Both the Jag and the Rover will be coming home in a couple months, after I move a couple cars down to the shop.

EDIT: Just bought a brandy new 1000 + page factory manual for the thing too. I must be planning to keep it. Happily, it's OBD II, so I can talk to it when it's not feeling good (though I'd rather have the earlier SU carbs and a distributor).

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I also received this from a pal. When the set was received by him, the drill was broken pretty badly (as seen in this photo), so they just sent him an entire replacement set and he gave me this set. After buying a replacement drill for the set (no photo, for some reason), which was fairly cheap, I now have an excellent beginning for some more Ridgid 18V "stuff".

4Ul76P.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yesterday at a gun show, I bought an old Crosman .22 CO2 pellet gun, Model 44, which looks just like an old Colt Single Action Army .45 and is almost as heavy (all metal, no plastic except the grips). Dunno if it works, but it's complete, and if it doesn't, for no more than I paid for it ($20), I'll hang it on the wall. 

The cylinder is a bit stiff in rotation. I just went on eBay and found a "factory service manual" available for it cheap, so I bought that, so if it's fixable, I should be able to fix it. (Hey, it's just a 1:1 scale model, right?) 

I have several of the old Crosman 38C and 38T CO2 revolvers, too. Some of them work; at least one needs seals. While I was manual shopping, I bought one for them, too, from the same seller. 

The idea of getting some of these things working and shooting them in my basement is getting very appealing. Last time I did the math it was almost as expensive to shoot CO2 as it was .22 rimfire, but .22RF prices have more than doubled in the last decade, so the gas guns might be a more economical option now. 

I have been having a major squirrel moment the last month or so. My wife is an amateur photographer and has been all her life. I used to be, but not at her level. Recently I was inspired to dig out our old 35mm slr cameras (she has been dslr for many years now) and start tinkering with them again. I find that I enjoy the tinkering with probably more that the taking of pics. Here is an old Minolta that I just rescued, as well as my current collection.

I am always looking for more, and am willing to trade plastic for cameras,  lenses, etc, in any condition. 

20200218_121534.jpg

20200218_142108.jpg

20200218_142241.jpg

A letter from the city saying my Jeep needs to be off the property in 7 days for being inoperable.......as well as a gallon of brake fluid, Dad wants to start digging into what failed in the brakes last winter and fix them. Part of the reason is to put it back in service so we can use it again.

On 2/23/2020 at 1:08 PM, Snake45 said:

Yesterday at a gun show, I bought an old Crosman .22 CO2 pellet gun, Model 44, which looks just like an old Colt Single Action Army .45 and is almost as heavy (all metal, no plastic except the grips). Dunno if it works, but it's complete, and if it doesn't, for no more than I paid for it ($20), I'll hang it on the wall. 

The cylinder is a bit stiff in rotation. I just went on eBay and found a "factory service manual" available for it cheap, so I bought that, so if it's fixable, I should be able to fix it. (Hey, it's just a 1:1 scale model, right?) 

I have several of the old Crosman 38C and 38T CO2 revolvers, too. Some of them work; at least one needs seals. While I was manual shopping, I bought one for them, too, from the same seller. 

The idea of getting some of these things working and shooting them in my basement is getting very appealing. Last time I did the math it was almost as expensive to shoot CO2 as it was .22 rimfire, but .22RF prices have more than doubled in the last decade, so the gas guns might be a more economical option now. 

Yesterday I got the factory service manuals in the mail. These should be of great help. Sometime soon I need to dig all these CO2 guns out, test them to see what each needs, and then get to work fixing them. 

Here's some of my old Crosman CO2 guns. 

CrosmanPistols.jpg.3a15dc9540689c54b7558d1e27856e99.jpg

1 hour ago, Hotrod 97 said:

Not sure if this belongs here or in the diecast section, but I found this miniature of the first Hess truck at an antique market today. I'm a bit of a Hess truck collector, so this was a nice addition to the collection.

There's a "What Did You Get Today" thread in the diecast section, might be one in the Truck section, too. 

On 2/27/2020 at 6:40 PM, Joe Handley said:

A letter from the city saying my Jeep needs to be off the property in 7 days for being inoperable.......as well as a gallon of brake fluid, Dad wants to start digging into what failed in the brakes last winter and fix them. Part of the reason is to put it back in service so we can use it again.

Geez. I really don't like it when ya got a possible Gladys Kravitz living next door! Been through that. Arrrrg!

1 hour ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Geez. I really don't like it when ya got a possible Gladys Kravitz living next door! Been through that. Arrrrg!

Doubt that’s the issue, it’s had the left side on stands for the last 13mo since we haven’t had the time with caring for Mom before her passing and the bad weather we had last summer (mostly cold and rainy, except August, which was HOOOOOT until before Labor Day). We were planning on getting it running enough to get it through emissions testing again in June, this just has sorta bumped the timeframe to being drivable enough to drive across town on “days 7 and 8” for now then get brakes fully up to snuff once it actually warms up. So long as the battery has a charge, it starts, drives, turns, but only stops with the handbrake at this time....... Luckily, Dad found the failure and has a game plan on getting it driveable by then!

5 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

That's good news, cars can be the best or worst things you'll ever own.

I was going to try and get rid of it and Mom was going to help try and convince Dad we needed to, but when she passed, I figured it might help with as grief therapy as well as physical, to some extent for him instead. He was even more insistant on keeping and fixing it at this point as well, sooooo......

Annd I've found water has been getting into the Jeep's passenger footwell and frozen, plus mold! I've decided to just empty my model and R/C stuff out of it and get rid of it. Texted a former customer from when I worked at HTU who got into 4wd Toyotas in the last couple years to see if he knew anybody that needs a parts XJ, he's going to check and get back to me?

209324356ff031a2658fe45516ae375d--jeep-s

Edited by Joe Handley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of days ago, at a local Barnes and Noble, I found a new reproduction of the 1960 version of the game Life. I had to get it! Mainly because I hate that in the new versions the game, you use game pieces that are politically correct, soccer mom, mini vans. The reproduction version gives us back the convertibles with fins! I couldn't pass up a chance to drive my blue finned convertible around. With my pink plastic wife, and four or more plastic kids in the back. It's the way "Life" should be. The good "Life." In more ways than one. 

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

Edited by unclescott58