Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 65 Chevelle AWB Question

VW93

Thank you SteveG.  I'm looking forward to the Chevelle AWB kit, especially with the vinyl tires which I see as good news. The plastic two-piece slicks always had a taper and the plastic two-piece fronts had no tread - just a draft angle to get them out of the molds.  Sometimes, depending how my day was going, they were difficult to assemble. 

Hoping the vinyl tires will be available as a parts pack.   I don't think this size has ever been available in vinyl and they can be used on many other cars.  One less thing to tool if more new AWB and drag racing kits are in the pipeline.

• 1 month later...

Stevens International has the Time Machine Chevelle AWB kit listed in the AMT section.

AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITSAMT-13021/25 1965 Chevy Chevelle AWB Time Machine Funny Car$35.99TBA

Edited by GMP440
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, milo1303s said:

Release date yet!!!

The production samples arrived this week and were just approved to be shipped.  They should be on the water by next week.  I'd say they should be available for purchase end of August or early September.  I'll have one in hand shortly. 

-Steve 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 11:10 PM, GMP440 said:

Now that the AWB Chevelle kit is on the way; what are the chances that we will see the Chevelle drag team kit come out in the near future?   We already have the 63 Impala and trailer.

Chevelle Drag team - Copy.jpg

It's certainly possible now although it not part of any specific plans.  It's also been suggested to me that we make an all-new team using the AWB Chevelle and the '65 El Camino and Camper.  Any thoughts on that combo?

-Steve 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SteveG said:

It's certainly possible now although it not part of any specific plans.  It's also been suggested to me that we make an all-new team using the AWB Chevelle and the '65 El Camino and Camper.  Any thoughts on that combo?

-Steve 

I would definetly go with that combo.  The camper shell on the El Camino/camper gives the builder a mobile support vehicle for the Chevelle drag car.  You can put my name down for that combo you suggested.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

...make an all-new team using the AWB Chevelle and the '65 El Camino and Camper...

That. Is awesome. I should mock up some packaging art in the vintage style to really tug at those nostalgic feels. Looks like the Cal Drag, Indy Drag, and Chevelle Drag combos all use the same trailer, yes?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve 

Either that or the 65 Wagon, 55/57 Chevy pickup or 60 Chevy pickup

I'd vote for either 1965 Kit.

The El Camino, as seen in the Construction kit, with the small shell, or the Wagon. Both kits are perfect Choices for Race Track Tow vehicles.

Be really nice if the Combo had matching markings for both Units.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got my '65 Chevelle AWB Funny Car kit delivered a few days ago.

FYI:  I decided to remove the chrome treatment on several of the engine parts and used my usual Easy-Off oven cleaner stripping method that works every time for me. On this kit, the chrome came off as usual, but the layer beneath the chrome stayed on the parts as a gooey residue that took a lot of extra effort to remove and in some deep recesses on the parts never came completely clean.

Just wanted to provide this heads-up.

But the Revell kit is a Z-16, only 201 of those were built.  Different trim and taillight panel from the more common Malibu, and the frame is slightly different (Z-16 used the convertible frame).  Revell would have been wiser to have done a run-of-the-mill Malibu.  The interior might be usable if it fits the AMT body.