What are the worst kits you've ever built?

• You cannot reply to this topic
161 replies to this topic

#121 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Pugh

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

Revell's '57 Chevy hardtop and AMT's '69 Chevelle.

So far........

#122 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,253 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

Ya know guys after all this listing and discussion it might be fun to do a "Terrible Kit CBP".

#123 robertw

robertw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

Building one right now, the old Revell Lincoln Futura concept car. Multi-part body (trying to get it to the point where its only two parts top & bottom), started by sanding the whole body just to discover the low points then started to fill and re-sand. I'll have to strip chrome from the bumpers sand and reshape slightly then rechrome, Other parts don't fit well, etc...etc. Don't know why I'm building it except I'm a sucker for red cars and I recently watched the '59 movie in which it had a major role as a red custom car.

#124 RickRollerLT1

RickRollerLT1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manri

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

AMT/MPC/ERTL '68 Plymouth Cuda

Why, the frame and engine are week and ill-fitting. Use the '68/9 Dart kit or the AMT '71 Duster to make a buildable 'fish.

#125 fumi

fumi

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Silvester Man

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

3) Aoshima Veilside RX-7. it doesn't fit well, and there's wheel gap issues. In fact, Aoshima typically lacks on quality and they're extremely over priced for what you get, or in some cases - don't get.

I'd have to disagree with that, quality of Aoshima kits refined dramatically during the late 80's, and most of the stuff they developed after 1991 had been great. They are probably the first manufacturer to make platform style interior with realistic 3D side panels in 1990-91; AMT started in around 1993 IIRC, Revell-Monogram has had separate door panel for a long time but the rest of the interior was still molded as a tub, Tamiya didn't get out of the tub style interior until the mid 90's and Fujimi still hasn't made up their mind how they'd do their interior. While their chassis has not been the most accurate, the bodies are well proportioned and nicely molded.

Their body kits do need some work to fit properly, but they are no worse than Fujimi. And they probably went to far with the chassis sharing lately as witnessed by the FC3S RX-7 and S13 Silvia. But quality-wise I find them on par with Tamiya most of the time.

#126 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Wagonrod

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:12 AM

I'd have to disagree with that, quality of Aoshima kits refined dramatically during the late 80's, and most of the stuff they developed after 1991 had been great. They are probably the first manufacturer to make platform style interior with realistic 3D side panels in 1990-91; AMT started in around 1993 IIRC, Revell-Monogram has had separate door panel for a long time but the rest of the interior was still molded as a tub, Tamiya didn't get out of the tub style interior until the mid 90's and Fujimi still hasn't made up their mind how they'd do their interior. While their chassis has not been the most accurate, the bodies are well proportioned and nicely molded. Their body kits do need some work to fit properly, but they are no worse than Fujimi. And they probably went to far with the chassis sharing lately as witnessed by the FC3S RX-7 and S13 Silvia. But quality-wise I find them on par with Tamiya most of the time.

I have to dissagree with you, the first "modern" AMT/Ertl kit to feature a platform style interior was the 66 Nova SS which came out in 1988. Also, I just finished building a mid 70's Ford Carpi II a few weeks ago, also an AMT kit that featured a platorm interior although I will atmit it was not the norm at the time.

#127 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

Ya know guys after all this listing and discussion it might be fun to do a "Terrible Kit CBP".

Yeah, that would be fun. A "Terrible Kit OOB CBP"

#128 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,253 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

Yeah, that would be fun. A "Terrible Kit OOB CBP"

Whoa there Trigger! OOB CBP? I'd just like to say for the record that was NOT my idea. I doubt seriously many people would be interested in an OOB build off of bad kits. In most cases the only way to build one (and retain ones sanity) is to replace the offending parts.

#129 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

Whoa there Trigger! OOB CBP? I'd just like to say for the record that was NOT my idea. I doubt seriously many people would be interested in an OOB build off of bad kits. In most cases the only way to build one (and retain ones sanity) is to replace the offending parts.

It was a clear case of British humour in action.

Speaking of terrible kits, was the Barnabas Vampire Van mentioned yet?

#130 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:31 AM

LOL, and that one is being released shortly . . . :lol:

#131 fumi

fumi

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

I have to dissagree with you, the first "modern" AMT/Ertl kit to feature a platform style interior was the 66 Nova SS which came out in 1988. Also, I just finished building a mid 70's Ford Carpi II a few weeks ago, also an AMT kit that featured a platorm interior although I will atmit it was not the norm at the time.

Good for them.

In all fairness AMT's toolings in the 90's were pretty good. Too bad they reissued so many crappy kits in the same time frame, which really brought down their reputation.

#132 ChrisPflug

ChrisPflug

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

Thank Wal-Mart in part, and the $5 "checkered box specials" for sullying AMT's reputation- they went from concentrating on modern, highly detailed and engineered new releases to bringing out whatever tooling was usable with no budget for needed repairs and maintenance to provide quantity at a dictated price point

They did sell the later, nicer kits cheap as well but they seemed to get buried under the barrage of reissues that already needed help since the 80s

#133 fumi

fumi

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

Some of their moves just baffled me, to say the least. Like the decisions to reissue their horrible 66 Mustang and long in the tooth 68 Shelby Mustang, when they had the excellent 67 Mustang/Shelby toolings at their disposal.

#134 Evil Appetite

Evil Appetite

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Rousseau

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:41 AM

Only one i can remember being so bad that I refused to even concider finishing it was the FF Charger. I think it's so bad that even when I walked into the local Giant Tiger department store, and saw they had them priced at $4.99 I had to stop and wonder if I should by a dozen for parts, normally at that price it's a no brainer!

#135 Nate

Nate

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Full Name:Nate Johnson

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:11 AM

It was a clear case of British humour in action.

Speaking of terrible kits, was the Barnabas Vampire Van mentioned yet?

I'd have to second that since they destroyed the AWESOME 1933 Chevy Panel truck to make that kit.

Edited by Nate, 05 January 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#136 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

That old Revell radioactive puke green and black multi-piece bodied VW Bus with the California something or other theme. Plenty of kits out there that are sub-par, but that thing was just flat out horrid.

#137 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts
  • Full Name:Martin, Andrew O.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

That old Revell radioactive puke green and black multi-piece bodied VW Bus with the California something or other theme. Plenty of kits out there that are sub-par, but that thing was just flat out horrid.

I love those old VW panel kits and not because they build well! :rolleyes: I think you are remembering the California Roller version. That was neon green. They had a Rubber Ducky CB radio version in yellow. The first version of the panel was the Surfing version of which I don't recall the name. Too bad they trashed the Window bus to make the panel. The original version of that kit was a 57 or so 23 window Deluxe Microbus and you had to make all 23 windows from clear flat stock!!!! They modified it to a mid sixties style 21 window later. The new Fujimi and New tool Revell make up for it, though.

#138 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts
  • Full Name:Martin, Andrew O.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

I like the idea of a Craptastic Kit CBP. I have a Pyro VW Beetle beach buggy half done and need an excuse to finish it.

#139 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,639 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

I like the idea of a Craptastic Kit CBP. I have a Pyro VW Beetle beach buggy half done and need an excuse to finish it.

This a great excuse right here :) . Show how you can make a nice model out of a craptastic kit.

Edited by sjordan2, 05 January 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#140 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

I love those old VW panel kits and not because they build well! :rolleyes: I think you are remembering the California Roller version. That was neon green.

Yep that's he one. I had to be around 10 or 11 when I got that. Pretty sure I threw it against the wall halfway through. lol. I grokked one at a show as an adult and it almost sent me into seizures. :D

The new Fujimi and New tool Revell make up for it, though.

I've built one of the Hasegawa pickup versions. That was a treat. Didn't even paint the body or interior, it was so nice. Just detail painted here and there where it mattered. I've built a Fujimi 365...I'd imagine that their VW's are also pleasant. Will get around to one of the new Revells one of these days.

I've also noticed several mentions of the Revell '56 F100. Truth. Talk about a tooling that was ridden hard and put away wet. But, I manage to massage one into a very nice truck, 'bashed together with a twin I beam from a junker van, a parts box rear suspension, and the wheels & tires from the F350 kit. It was painted (my first good one, if I remember right) and about a days work away from final assembly...when my gf at the time...destroyed...it...in one of her many fits of utter clumbsiness. I haven't been able to put myself through that kit again. Took me months to get it to where it was. :D