Model Cars Magazine Forum

Simple question I can't figure the answer to...

You could probably think up a bazillion such scenarios

It has been hypothesized by intellects greater than mine that this is directly related to the "second gunman on the grassy knoll" theory through a very unspecific, indirect and vaguely indeterminate set of non-coincidental and unconnected events. 

Or why we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway? :lol:

Sorry to bother you with such a minor triviality. Feel free to ignore this thread... ^_^

Nothing doing, man. It's things like this which lighten the load on the neural synapses and make the day more enjoyable. :)

And I'm wondering why you put a hyphen between the words "hot" and "dogs"... :P

Ah, the mysteries of life...

I simply momentarily confused the compound adjective with the noun. My most sincere and humble apologies.:D

http://waldenwritingcenter.blogspot.com/2009/12/by-jeff-zuckerman-director-of-writing.html

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm still working on the mystery of why hot-dogs and buns come packaged in different numbers. That, and the meaning of life. ;)

I can answer the hot-dog roll part, anyway.

A friend in lodge is a baker at Gold Medal Bakeries in Fall River, Ma., which is a large bakery that produces incredible quantities of mostly private-label bread and does a lot of contract baking for several of the major brands. 

Hot-dog rolls come in two types, New England style (opened on the top,) and Coney Island style (open on the side.) Depending on the style being made, the pans will hold either 48 or 54 rolls, which is why Coney Island are usually packaged in packs of 8 or 12, and New England style are packaged in 6. 

As to hot-dogs...I remember reading somewhere that it had to do with weight, but now, with all the dumb screwy weights being used in everything to squeeze every last haypenny of profit out, maybe they should standardize on 6 or 12 packs. 

Charlie Larkin

There are 2 types of spray can caps: one type locks onto the inside collar on the can (the metal part where the spray nozzle is) and the other one locks onto the outside collar of the can.

I have only seen the vent hole on the caps which latch onto the outside collar of the can.  Maybe the outside collar cap seal is more airtight than the other type (so it needs that vent hole)?

Harry, make note to yourself: never decant spray can paint into the cap! :D

If the cap does not have a pry slot to open, the air needs to be able to escape when the cap  is placed on the top in the factory and in your home. As Curt posted earlier.

It may also be placed in the cap so that it will come out of the mold easier because of vacuum and surface tension.

Andy, I believe you have the answer here.  Depending upon the factory that iinjection-molds the caps, their tooling may or may not need to have some vent in the finished caps to enable them to release quickly from the mold, more than likely the "female" part of the tooling.  Without say, an ejector pin in that female mold, it could be a serious production problem to have those caps sticking inside the tooling,  necessitating the mold press being shut down, possibly having to have a tooling teck come over, remove the offending piece.

Art

I understood that hole was their in the event that if the nozzle blew off the can that the cap would contain the nozzle and the hole would help vent the gasses and keep the cap on. But if that is true then that does not explain why some do and some don't.

The bigger question is: Why is it CARgo if sent by ship and a SHIPment if it is sent by truck?

These little holes are a good example of "a feature built into a product so that it can handle unusual or unexpected situations." We don't think about or see these situations in the normal use of the product. For example, if you look at the sheet metal under the hood of your car, you will see little bends in it. Those bends are placed there so that in an accident the front of the car will fold like an accordion and absorb the impact. The bends don't do anything unless a crash occurs, and then they are very important.

With a can of Pam, the lid fits very tightly so that oil won't ooze from the nozzle down the side of the can and onto your shelf. If the manufacturer puts the caps on the cans in New Jersey and then ships the cans to Denver (the "Mile-High City"), a funny thing happens -- the air pressure inside the lid pops the lid right off. So the poor stock boy at the grocery store has to put the lids back on 30 cans before he can put them on the shelf. What a pain!

When the lid was put on the can in New Jersey, the air inside the lid had a certain pressure (the same pressure as the air outside the lid). The outside air pressure in Denver is lower than the air pressure in New Jersey (pressure decreases as elevation increases), so when the can arrives in Denver, the pressure outside the lid is lower than the pressure inside the lid. With this imbalance, the air inside the lid tries to expand and ends up popping the lid off.

By putting a small hole in the lid, the air can exit through the hole, and the lids stay on during shipping!

The real question is why some caps don't have a pin hole ?

I once asked Bic pens how come the cheap regular ball point pens have a hole in the top of the caps. They used to be solid. I got a reply that it was a liability issue that some kid might put it in his mouth and choke. The hole was so some air could get through until help could be given. A lid is kind of big, but maybe for the same reason? 

My "stupid images/photos/cartoons" did. 

Knock it off with the stupid images/photos/cartoons

Gregg, 

I'm not trying to get antagonistic or combative with you; at the same time, I'm not going to walk on eggshells just because you're the guy who pulls the strings here. So, in the spirit of a friendly discussion, allow me to ask this question:

Are you telling or asking me this because I violated any specific Rule of Conduct; or, is it because "stupid images/photos/cartoons" bother you? Your description is a personal, subjective opinion and doesn't necessarily reflect those of everyone else on this site. These "stupid images/photos/cartoonsdon't seem to elicit negative reactions from anyone else here. 

I know it isn't the former because I did read the RoC; and, there's nothing which pertains to what you refer to as "stupid images/photos/cartoons". As a matter of fact, here's what you yourself wrote in "General Rules of Conduct":

the basic rules are keep it clean, be courteous to others, watch your spelling and grammar, and of course, have fun!

I believe I observe all of the above, in various combinations, whenever I post a comment. I always keep it clean, I'm always courteous, my spelling and grammar are impeccable and lastly, I do try to have fun. As previously stated, I see nothing written, or implied in any form or manner, which prohibits, proscribes or otherwise forbids the inclusion of "stupid images/photos/cartoons" within a comment. Therefore, it must be the latter. If this is the case, you are allowing your personal likes/dislikes supersede your own General Rules of Conduct and you are not following the spirit of your own rules which you expect others to abide by. With all due respect to you, as an individual and in your position as Root Admin, if I haven't violated any of this forum's RoC, which were written by you, there was no good reason to delete my post(s). What you personally like, or don't, shouldn't be a factor. I offended no one; nor, did I violate any of your site rules.

Basically, it comes done to being a troll.

If you want to raise stink on this, be my guest.

I am so sick of these types of posts getting out of hand

This is why all the problems start

It has been nice and quiet for a while now.

You seriously want that to change?

Plus, the only reason why I showed up is that someone reported it.

Not my kuleana

I responded to a reported post/thread

Basically, it comes done to being a troll.

If you want to raise stink on this, be my guest.

I am so sick of these types of posts getting out of hand

This is why all the problems start

It has been nice and quiet for a while now.

You seriously want that to change?

Troll, huh?!? Are you serious?!? How is posting an image which is relevant to the comment I made trolling? My comments were in the same vein as other humorous replies. That means everyone, including the OP, who posted a humorous, off-topic reply in that thread is guilty of being a troll, right? Did any of my "stupid" images sow discord, start an argument, upset anyone besides you or were in any way inflammatory? They were intended to add a visual reference to what I mentioned in those particular replies. But, you know what? Your site. Your rules. Zei gezunt.