Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model project ideas you WISH you could get around to if you had the time.

If you are like me, you probably think way too often about future projects, knowing you will never have time or resources to

complete them.

Or maybe you just don't have the correct parts in hand to build it or your research on that particular car is fruitless.

Here are a few of the project ideas buzzing thru my head currently.

1) The Mopar Missile "Wire Car" 1974 plymouth pro stock car.   Never raced but a very cool car nonetheless.

2) "Tyrrell-ible T" Just an idea I had for a six wheeled T-bucket custom with a formula 1 theme.

3) "horn-Dog" A Tom Daniel model car mash-up. This one I may be able to start, tho using the Sand Shark body parts.

So what's on your idea list of cars you WISH you could start?

1) 1/8 scale Iroc, built as a drag radial car, or a drag week/fastest street car shootout participant. I have the kit, just need about $800 in parts.

2) 1/12 drag bike. Built after the extreme street bikes, stretched swingarm, massive turbo, lowered...

3) Dually or tow vehicle for my 4 car hauler.

There are a bunch I would work on, if I had space, time and money.

That 1974 Mopar Missile Pro Stock Duster is such an incredible car ! From its "massaged" proportions , to its 355 cube LA engine , and to its magnesium Dana 60 ... WOW !

Okay , now here are some projects I wish that I could undertake :

1.) 1972 'Cuda Convertible . The MPC-come-AMT 1974 Barracuda hardtop would relinquish  its '72-'74 grille , facia , tail panel , and tail lamps ; the Revell 1970 'Cuda would provide the meat of the carcass ; and the rest would have to be sourced from other kits ( aiming for a 'phantom' kit means it would have a 340 as its powerplant ) .

2.) 1978 Chevy C-10 Longbed . I already have the '78 annual MPC kit , now I would just need two beds from the Fall Guy (et al.) issues to make one longbed .

3.) 1972 GMC Sprint SP-1 454 .

Two big scratch build / sculpts that will never be kitted, 

1. 1974 Dodge Monaco Bluesmobile.

2. 1954 Corvette Nomad.

No one but me seems to be interested in these cars, so un-saleable.....

I would really like to get one of those Bluesmobiles

Two big scratch build / sculpts that will never be kitted, 

1. 1974 Dodge Monaco Bluesmobile.

2. 1954 Corvette Nomad.

No one but me seems to be interested in these cars, so un-saleable.....

I have the '54 Corvette Nomad from the Danbury Mint, otherwise known as the Waldorf Nomad and it looks gorgeous.

I'm liking' this thread.

Here are a few of mine.

Tyrell mustang. I have the 1/12 scale tryrell. I would have to make the body since there is no 1/12 mustang to modify.

LR6wheelmustanggtp1_-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Front drive, rear steer top fueler. I figured it would be the last Garlits Swamp rat.

FWDTopFuel-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Cord delivery, but as a boat tail. Pizza by the slice is a fitting theme. Notice the pizza slice rims.

PizzaDeliverylores-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Finally, Ivo's Lincoln. Super Brick.

Lincoln-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

My replica build of my former car.  A black - with  black interior 1970 Road Runner 440 six barrel 4 spd car.

I have a Johan builtup to do it with . Its just theres always something else catches my attention and it gets boxed back up.

Someday I guess. When I do it, it will be as far from box stock I have ever gone .

20160113_081248.thumb.jpg.15408495100573

OK, it's not a car model, so feel free to skip ahead... ;-P

It's a 1/35th scale diorama set in the Libyan desert. In the centre is an LRDG Chevrolet truck. Half the diorama is black and white, half colour, with the dividing line down the centreline of the truck. In the black and white half, the truck is loaded and carrying it's LRDG crew.  An SAS jeep is parked next to the truck, and several SAS troopers are gathered around the bonnet, looking at a map. The other half of the truck is in colour, and looks like this:

v_wb3.jpg

Parked next to it is a modern Special Forces Land Rover WMIK, in full colour, with a several modern figures, one holding a GPS receiver, and the other two looking at the truck.

It'll be called: "Who Dares Wins: Ghosts"

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

OK, it's not a car model, so feel free to skip ahead... ;-P

It's a 1/35th scale diorama set in the Libyan desert. In the centre is an LRDG Chevrolet truck. Half the diorama is black and white, half colour, with the dividing line down the centreline of the truck. In the black and white half, the truck is loaded and carrying it's LRDG crew.  An SAS jeep is parked next to the truck, and several SAS troopers are gathered around the bonnet, looking at a map. The other half of the truck is in colour, and looks like this:

v_wb3.jpg

Parked next to it is a modern Special Forces Land Rover WMIK, in full colour, with a several modern figures, one holding a GPS receiver, and the other two looking at the truck.

It'll be called: "Who Dares Wins: Ghosts"

bestest,

M.

Did you get that catch phrase from "Only Fools And Horses"?!  -its great!!

My replica build of my former car.  A black - with  black interior 1970 Road Runner 440 six barrel 4 spd car.

I have a Johan builtup to do it with . Its just theres always something else catches my attention and it gets boxed back up.

Someday I guess. When I do it, it will be as far from box stock I have ever gone .

20160113_081248.thumb.jpg.15408495100573

I know exactly what you mean. A while back, I built a model of my 1970 Plymouth Duster 340 Wedge in primer after I did the body work on it. the idea was a before and after the paint shop builds. Still waiting to do the "after" build.

John...

The Mopar Missile is a very cool car for its time, It is hard to find good documentation for these early pro stock cars.

The "wire car" is quite interesting, and some of the available info leaves me with more questions.

Example- if they moved the doors forward 2 inches, did they move the cowl forward also.

Possibly raking the windshield back???

For anyone who is interested, here is a link to an article on this car.

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/1312-1974-plymouth-duster-start-to-finish/

Richard...

That Gaylord Gladiator I have never seen before, It is just beautiful to me with all the period styling cues that I still appreciate.

Scott...

Love the drawings, That "IVO'S LINCOLN SUPER BRICK" is Screaming to be built.

It is interesting to hear some of the DREAM builds percolating in the minds of you all.

IMG_0615.JPG

Mine is probably getting the nerve to Start my 1/20 McLaren MP4/4. I have the Top Studio super upgrade kit [don't ask how much], I also have the tobacco decals and a set of metal wheels for it. There are so many pieces to the upgrade kit it's a little daunting. I have the paint and everything in place and all that's lacking is the nerve to get on with it.

I think I'm glad i didn't get the whole thing in 1/12 scale.

Cool ideas everyone.  I have a huge amount of project ideas...

build replicas of vehicles the family owned over the years...most will be tough to do due to needed parts,etc.

My own version of a Tom Daniels like show rod or two.

Dream...to find what my dads oldies need to restore them...might as well keep dreaming about this one.

A old FWD semi road tractor.

60s pull behind camping trailer with full interior.

large diorama of a 60s gas station.

60s/70s station wagon kits,conversions even if there my own ones.

75 Pontiac Trans Am...got to find one first to make it from.

And others.  For me the main issue is finding the needed parts,models,etc. to do them...I have plenty of time.

Did you get that catch phrase from "Only Fools And Horses"?!  -its great!

Seriously? No...

No more so than Semper Fi, The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday or Sua Sponte come from Sanford and Son...

It's the motto and cap badge of the SAS, which is the only organisation that was operating deep behind German lines in Libya in 1941, and was back there again 70 years later...

bestest,

M.

It's long been my dream to do a diorama of a 1969 Chevrolet dealership/showroom (would have to be a very small dealership). I have all the kits including a rare unbuilt AMT Impala, and I have all the showroom brochures to photo-reduce for the racks. Could even photo-shrink a couple 1969 car mags for the salemen's desks or lounge, too.

Seriously? No...

No more so than Semper Fi, The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday or Sua Sponte come from Sanford and Son...

It's the motto and cap badge of the SAS, which is the only organisation that was operating deep behind German lines in Libya in 1941, and was back there again 70 years later...

bestest,

M.

Sorry, I didn't Know.