Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post pics of your fave paint jobs!

philo426

On 4/15/2021 at 11:41 AM, papajohn97 said:

Thanks Bob for your compliments on my Willys. I think I clear coated this one with TS-13 after laying down the transparent red. I’m slowly learning ‘best methods’ with Tamiya gloss lacquer color and clear coat rattle cans for me. Things I do are to pre-heat can in hot water, wipe down model with damp paper towel and then wipe dry to discharge static electricity/ reduce dust/ lint, spray multiple thin coats and allow to dry 5-10 min between coats, on final “wet coat”, rotate body around randomly relative to gravity for the first few minutes of drying to prevent wet coat runs. I lucked out on this Willys, most of my gloss jobs have some slight orange peel or semi-gloss to them, I’m definitely still learning....

I always recommend getting the Tamiya static display brush to remove dust and static charge between coats. It takes care of 90% of debris. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JustCraig said:

This is my latest custom paint job. All done with House of Kolor candies. 

20200223_223304_IMG_6445.JPG

20200223_223847_IMG_6457.JPG

20200223_223434_IMG_6449.JPG

20200223_224520_IMG_6464.JPG

Hi Craig!

Both cars are top notch, bravo! I see a pattern here... You obviously studied the trends that were dominant in the 60's: Panels and lace. However, the flares and body modifications bring them in the current era. 

I'm jealous of your Hornet! I've searched for one, but they are quite rare. Even promos are scarce. All we see once in a while seem to be Johan Funny-car versions...

CT 

15 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Craig!

Both cars are top notch, bravo! I see a pattern here... You obviously studied the trends that were dominant in the 60's: Panels and lace. However, the flares and body modifications bring them in the current era. 

I'm jealous of your Hornet! I've searched for one, but they are quite rare. Even promos are scarce. All we see once in a while seem to be Johan Funny-car versions...

CT 

Thank you, the Hornet started as a resin body I found on ebay. It was a nicely molded piece. A copy of the amt kit or promo. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2016 at 3:19 PM, Badluck 13 said:

Not my actual paint job but nevertheless my favorite,my daughters very first build/paint right before she turned 11,not one sag,run,or dry spot on this car........love to know her secret......

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm54/badluck-13/042-4.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm54/badluck-13/046-5.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm54/badluck-13/053-3.jpg

Amazing build''' I love it.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 5:36 PM, doorsovdoon said:

Nice looking Spitfire. I built a lot of those when I was a kid, they were by Airfix. The local market had a model stall and sold tons of Airfix stuff.

Thank you!

I used to love airfix. I really want to get back into aircraft building again. Used to do tons of airfix aircraft. Good prices and the quality is what you pay for, so I like them quite a bit.

Good looking Spit and it's an American bird at that. Extra cool!! Which kit is this?

As far as Airfix goes, they have really stepped up their game in the last few years. Better detailing and just better kits all the way around.

Edited by mustang1989

10 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Good looking Spit and it's an American bird at that. Extra cool!! Which kit is this?

As far as Airfix goes, they have really stepped up their game in the last few years. Better detailing and just better kits all the way around.

Thank you! I really liked the American livery, saw it on WarThunder and had to make it.

That spitfire is the Spitfire mk 1A.

Airfix A01071B Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a 1:72 Scale Plastic Model Kit 1 (36  Piece), Gray, Toys & Games - Amazon Canada

I can't say much for upping their game, considering I started modelling with these kits. Though I can say they are wonderful, and when I started Revell aircraft, I was sorely disappointed. I thought everything was as good as airfix.

• Haha 1

Yeah....Revell.....They're fun kits and all but accuracy in their early kits was not one of their strong points.

I built an old vintage 1/48 Monogram Dauntless a few years back and used alot of interior parts from a Hasegawa SBD to help it out in addition to tweeking what was there on the Monogram offering. All in all she didn't turn out too bad and consider it to be one of my better early paint jobs in regards to military aircraft. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

11 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Yeah....Revell.....They're fun kits and all but accuracy in their early kits was not one of their strong points.

I built an old vintage 1/48 Monogram Dauntless a few years back and used alot of interior parts from a Hasegawa SBD to help it out in addition to tweeking what was there on the Monogram offering. All in all she didn't turn out too bad and consider it to be one of my better early paint jobs in regards to military aircraft. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Holy cow, that is a nice paintjob! I can't stand the raised panel lines on Revell kits

I'VE DONE IT!!! I think I finally crossed that pinnacle line in my skill set. I got this near perfect paintjob out of my very finicky airbrush. I was so pleased with this finish, that I immediately knew I had to share it. This is the best paintjob I have ever ever ever done, and I am so proud of it. It isn't as good as anyone else here but I worked *dang* (whoops) hard on it, and it paid off.

Using Mission Models Deep blue:

IMG_4866.JPG.5d25ab4ac5d971bf7263fd75a10e128f.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG.4ccb4f838b27d0483d77d8617956bb7c.JPGIMG_4868.JPG.c7bd112514927c462b78855918368340.JPGIMG_4869.JPG.b712b345764683510bbd45a4bbae03da.JPGIMG_4870.JPG.37290eef66c00412b7ac54428b3cfd37.JPG

Edited by Ceaser_Salad