Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wow, I looked at the calendar and there is NO LISTING for the largest model car show in North America!

How did THAT happen? See you all there this Saturday April 22, 9 am - 4 pm. Arrive EARLY!

Ernie's Model Auto Parts, in the main vendor gymnasium, first aisle on your left, right side.

NNL EAST, @ PAL hall in Wayne, NJ. See ya there! -- Ernie :>)

Wow, I looked at the calendar and there is NO LISTING for the largest model car show in North America!

How did THAT happen? See you all there this Saturday April 22, 9 am - 4 pm. Arrive EARLY!

Ernie's Model Auto Parts, in the main vendor gymnasium, first aisle on your left, right side.

NNL EAST, @ PAL hall in Wayne, NJ. See ya there! -- Ernie :>)

You might want to check the Shows section on this forum. There are two posts, one dated March 22 about vendors and an April 11 post mentioning some of the vendors who are already going to be there. Should be a great show, which I could be there  hopefully someone will post pictures of the show.   

As I will be visiting the Yogi Berra Museum on Friday, let me borrow a quote to refer to NNL East...nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded... :) 

Yeah, I think the only table with any room is Tom's Cinnamon Bun Table, which he personally keeps clear :D

As I will be visiting the Yogi Berra Museum on Friday, let me borrow a quote to refer to NNL East...nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded... :) 

And we are at a new hotel. To get to the show, when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

NNL East...nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded... :) 

Which is why we don't advertise.  We want to keep it at the 1200 attendance level.  That's comfortable for the building and for the environment we try to create. We do have a business plan, our advertising is word of mouth in the community of very dedicated modelers. There are always some folks who can't make the show, and others who are coming for the first time. It all balances out.  

A good friend Peter McDonald and I have been going to the NNL East annually for a while now. It was quite unexpected and refreshing to receive a post card invitation from Tom himself. Now that is definitely a personal touch in marketing such an amazing show. Peter put the bug in my ear about going to the GSL Classic, which is the weekend after the NNL East. So, this year we are going to go on an eleven day road trip to attend the GSL. Hopefully it will live up to the standards that for me, have been set by the Tri-State organizers of the NNL. I figure the GSL will be a once in a lifetime trip for me, unless of course I come into some serious lottery winnings. Attending the NNL East is always a winning situation. It is extremely well organized. The models on the tables are truly motivating. And finally, the vendors offer seriously great deals!

Psst... it's a secret!   

Yes - as usual, I can't figure out the proper place to look for things on the computer!

But... I will be there bright and EARLY waiting to set up tomorrow morning.

I'm finishing up packaging the last of the engine kits and wheel/tire sets today before loading up the SUV tonight.

See you all at the show, and... ENJOY!! -- Ernie :>)

That 1200 attendance figure is a surprise. I thought it would be much higher given the number of models entered in the show. We pull about 1000 attendees for each of our D.A.A.M. shows here in metro Detroit with a much smaller number of model show entries ( typically 275 to 350 models ).

With the volume of people here already you're still gonna stand in line at 9am.

yeah I got there ten minutes before 9am and got in ten minutes after nine.  Someone tell me again why people get there at 6:30 to stand outside in cold damp weather to get in 20 minutes before I did.  Aside from parking closer that is the ONLY reason I can figure out.  It's surely not to get an early bird door prize or a deal on a $150 kit that is 75% off LOL. I do not get it - some one chime in that gets there 2.5 hours before the doors open and explain your reasoning.

Yup, this year's show was absolutely mind boggling. I got there at about 0830 and got in line, a VERY LONG line. Show staff goes through the line selling passes in advance of opening to speed entrance to the show. I was the very last person in the line to get an advance pass, as they stopped doing so at about 0850, and set up the ticket table at the door. Even then, they opened the door at 0900 and I was inside the show at 0903. THAT is absolutely great crowd management! And it really IS a superb show, WELL worth attending. I spent the entire day there, wandering about the show hall and the two vendor halls, and thought I looked at everything. And then today when I looked at Mr. Obsessive's excellent photos, it became apparent that I had missed a LOT. It almost seemed as if I was at a different show! There is that much to see, and so little time! Not a show to miss, if at all possible!

Oh yeah Tom! I'd estimate that there were maybe 1500 models there?? Unless the show ran a couple days, it's almost impossible to see everything there! Not to mention conversations that I had with people (a lot), there were times when it's just a bit difficult to see certain tables it was so crowded. The custom table was particularly crowded and looking at the number of models there on that table alone, the whole show can turn into sensory overload-----and then there's the sheer amount of vendors there!

From all of that it's no wonder it's the biggest show on the east coast!