Model Cars Magazine Forum

SOME CURRENT ROUND 2 INFO TODAY...

AC Norton

14 hours ago, Casey said:

As for the BRAT, let's keep our fingers crossed:

Update: I suspect we'll see this kit reissued sometime next year....presuming this happens, it is just more proof that Round 2 really does listen to what the modeling community has to say.... TIM

On 7/17/2018 at 4:01 PM, Dale Gribble said:

And that's the great thing for those of us who build vs. the speculators ..... Speculators are killing the hobby ..... 

I wanted an unbuilt '63 impala kit for 20 years when ERTL released the Prestige kit for $14 in 1987 . $200 originals tanked to $50. I was happy to get a kit.

1 hour ago, Bob Ellis said:

I wanted an unbuilt '63 impala kit for 20 years when ERTL released the Prestige kit for $14 in 1987 . $200 originals tanked to $50. I was happy to get a kit.

You've got a few years on me ....  When I wanted one the prestige kits were starting to skyrocket - $75, 100$  .... Then they released the teal box art version and suddenly I could get them for 10$ ...the screams of angry hoarders could be heard from the rooftops...   The kits they bought thinking that they had a retirement fund suddenly tanked...

I'll say again , speculators are killing the hobby .. It's one thing to make a dollar if you are a real hobbyist  , it's another to only buy to sit on them waiting to strike that unsuspecting builder .... And I understand there's a finite number of kits , and every built one is one less unbuilt "box queen" , but we have to come together to not buy from the speculators who only want a fast buck on our backs ... 

In defense of collectors, I am one, and I'm happy to see re-issues of them all! Originals will always be originals and collectible. I'd never sell a rare unbuilt kit to be built, the value to me isn't in the money, it's the fact that they can bring back fond memories, and they're just so cool to see! I love building and there are so many great kits available at regular prices to be built, chopped, cut up, kit bashed, and more! As a collector, I am NOT a speculator, so I hope I am not killing the hobby!

On 7/15/2018 at 2:11 PM, Snake45 said:

I missed this the first time around. I've now done a few things in the same general vein and would get one--but ONLY if it's molded in color (preferably a metallic/pearl) to match the other stuff in my collection. 

The box says "Molded in 4 Colors" so I'm guessing purple, black, light grey, and ??? This is the snap-together version, so it absolutely should come with a purple colored body.

4 hours ago, Dale Gribble said:

You've got a few years on me ....  When I wanted one the prestige kits were starting to skyrocket - $75, 100$  .... Then they released the teal box art version and suddenly I could get them for 10$ ...the screams of angry hoarders could be heard from the rooftops...   The kits they bought thinking that they had a retirement fund suddenly tanked...

I'll say again , speculators are killing the hobby .. It's one thing to make a dollar if you are a real hobbyist  , it's another to only buy to sit on them waiting to strike that unsuspecting builder .... And I understand there's a finite number of kits , and every built one is one less unbuilt "box queen" , but we have to come together to not buy from the speculators who only want a fast buck on our backs ... 

This is why ya won't see me on EVIL bay and KRACK list

6 hours ago, dino246gt said:

In defense of collectors, I am one, and I'm happy to see re-issues of them all! Originals will always be originals and collectible. I'd never sell a rare unbuilt kit to be built, the value to me isn't in the money, it's the fact that they can bring back fond memories, and they're just so cool to see! I love building and there are so many great kits available at regular prices to be built, chopped, cut up, kit bashed, and more! As a collector, I am NOT a speculator, so I hope I am not killing the hobby!

I'm torn on this. I have a few kits in my collection that I will probably never build. But if I was to sell them I don't think it would bother me if I knew they were going to be built .  After all, isn't that the entire purpose of a model kit?  In all honesty I think I would rather give them to a builder than sell to someone who is just going to let them sit on a shelf .. 

1 hour ago, Dale Gribble said:

I'm torn on this. I have a few kits in my collection that I will probably never build. But if I was to sell them I don't think it would bother me if I knew they were going to be built .  After all, isn't that the entire purpose of a model kit?  In all honesty I think I would rather give them to a builder than sell to someone who is just going to let them sit on a shelf .. 

I respect builders and collectors of the hobby...

As for those of us who have large kit collections, if it weren't for collectors the manufacturers would have gone under some time ago. Proof of this can be found in most hobby rooms. How many of us have three times the kits we'll ever build yet we keep buying! Compare the number of kits that get opened, looked at versus built. A quote attributed to Paul Lindberg was something to the effect of they didn't sell model kits. They sold the thrill of opening the box.

8 hours ago, iBorg said:

A quote attributed to Paul Lindberg was something to the effect of they didn't sell model kits. They sold the thrill of opening the box.

I believe it. On the MTV special about the final days of Warren Zevon, he quoted some old German philosopher who said "When we buy books, we think we are buying the time to read them." 

11 minutes ago, Deano said:

My take:  If I'm selling a rare kit and we agree on a price, I couldn't care less whether the buyer stashes it in a closet or grinds it up for mulch; it's his, now. :D

Absolutely. I remember selling a bunch of AMT and MPC original issue stock cars to one individual. His building was poor but they were his.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:32 PM, iBorg said:

As for those of us who have large kit collections, if it weren't for collectors the manufacturers would have gone under some time ago. Proof of this can be found in most hobby rooms. How many of us have three times the kits we'll ever build yet we keep buying! Compare the number of kits that get opened, looked at versus built. A quote attributed to Paul Lindberg was something to the effect of they didn't sell model kits. They sold the thrill of opening the box.

And as a bonus, you got the big letdown once you opened it...

What's with all the Coke models? I hope Coke is paying the modelmakers for advertising, and not the other way around for licensing.

Or is Coke collecting so big that Coke kits will be guaranteed hot sellers? I personally wouldn't pay an extra dime for a kit (or diecast) that had Coke on it. In fact, if it came printed/tampoed on, the first thing I'd do would be to remove it.