Model Cars Magazine Forum

Inspiring work by Juha Airio

... My favourite build of his is this 'Cuda concept from the late 90's...

That was the one that got my attention. It's such a totally competent, clean, well-balanced and original design...and a ONE MAN DESIGN...it really makes you wonder how most of the real-car manufacturers, with huge styling staffs and budgets, continue putting out geegaw-laden and superfluous-styling-gimmick-encrusted crapp, year after year after year.

I assume he's an industrial designer, and I hope a very well paid one. (Sorry...I couldn't find any other pix of the car online, and this one doesn't do it justice.)

Image result for Juha Airio   'Cuda concept

It was great to meet him and his crew at the NNL East this past spring; his work has inspired me for decades. I'll be building the Marauder X100 resin kit he mastered soon. His eye for both design and detail is amazing; his customs are really cool. 

I won't be surprised if they're a yearly fixture at NNL East; they sold a ton of product this year and it easily covered their trip expenses (Airtrax resin from Juha and Tapani Rauramo, and Eero Kumanto's Highlight Studio etched products mainly for vintage VW's). 

The 'Cuda Concept was a great inspiration for me as well. After seeing that, I've checed out his work and sought for his stuff. If was, I believe, at Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland that I found this kit: https://public.fotki.com/Rikster/model_cars/model_cars_from_others/models_by_juha_airio-1/48_ford_custom/

This kit is stunning, to say the least and it's kinda my holy grail kit. I haven't built it yet, because I hardly dare to. But boy, is it gorgeous...

Unfortunately, obtaining this kit als set the benchmark for other resin kits/parts really, really high...

I kinda feel lucky I got this kit!!

Edited by matthijsgrit

I kinda feel lucky I got this kit!!

I feel lucky to have one as well. When I saw this kit in the RMCM booth almost 20 years ago, the casting was so excellent I though the hood was molded shut, but it is removable. I had to have one and purchased it that day(despite having blown my budget already that day) Juha's design on the master is excellent, and my skills couldn't do justice to the design at the time, so I never finished it. I think I've only seen one finished. it was metallic orange(can't remember the builder)

Juha does some phenomenal work, on his factory stock conversions, what-if design studies and customs. But his execution and paintwork(and photography) are also amazing. Looking forward to his endeavors into resin casting. 

Edited by Mr. Metallic

That was, if I'm correct, Michael Winkler. He's active here and know as Carsntrucksforyou (if spelled correctly).

Then there was this one:

What's not to love about this car???

Is there any info on the number of kits produced?

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1579.JPG

Edited by matthijsgrit
text added, other pics

Michael's orange car:

Sorry Matthijs, can't see your pics.

Bob, I'm guessing the one I saw was Choppers since it was at NNL East. it was phenomenal (another reason I haven't dragged it out to finish it because I'll keep comparing it to that build)

Edited by Mr. Metallic

At this past NNL East, I got to have a very lengthy and nice conversation with Juha. It was the first time I had met him, and I got some very nice compliments from him, and I to him. He was set up at a table next to Tapani Rauramo (Airtrax Resin), and one of my regrets is that I didn't pick up one of Tapani's absolutely beautiful Aston Martin kits! :(

I had the money then and didn't get it...........now I don't have the money and want one!

I got some neat insight into how Juha does certain things, and I gotta tell you-----pictures don't do his models justice! You HAVE to see them in person to be taken aback as to how nice they truly are!

I didn't think to take a picture of him, but several people that were around us did, so somewhere out there in the hinterlands of someone's hard discs is a picture of Juha there at the show, and me talking to him. :)

Edited by MrObsessive
Grammar!

Sorry Matthijs, can't see your pics.

Bob, I'm guessing the one I saw was Choppers since it was at NNL East. it was phenomenal (another reason I haven't dragged it out to finish it because I'll keep comparing it to that build)

Don't know what happened... I'll try to find an alternative. Might take some time...