Model Cars Magazine Forum

'40 Ford coupe with just a touch of Winfield - more photos

mr moto

This is AMT's venerable '40 coupe (first issued 1960) but built from the recent Round 2 release. It's not much changed from the original. I plan to post some more photos and text later but the short story is that this is my first attempt at doing the "Winfield fade" type paint job.

IMGP3810.thumb.JPG.86e6496ff66255c777ffc

IMGP3818.thumb.JPG.7ebb6844ad84e7ad13f04

IMGP3806.thumb.JPG.66bbaf612a5f363e91b63

Thanks for all the great comments, guys! As promised, here are some additional photos. The engine is the 389 Pontiac from the AMT '36 Ford with the Latham blower setup from the '25 T kit. I used the Pontiac engine because I liked the side pipes from the "36 Ford and the headers on that engine were made to tie into them.

IMGP3839.thumb.JPG.46d2a593c0d1126352bb9

The front fender coves were made by cutting identical pieces out of each front fender and swapping them from one side to the other. Then I used some half round Evergreen plastic to make the beads. The kit came with a nice set of Keystone mags but I decided to use Cragars that were left over from a '40 Ford sedan kit.

IMGP3814.thumb.JPG.bd32b804f78c91a4f678a

The interior has '62 T-Bird buckets and the dash is updated with round instruments using a gauge cluster that came in the kit. A dash mounted tach was pretty common back in the day.

IMGP3775.thumb.JPG.88c7c89a4ffca7fc2fb97

Thanks again, everybody!

IMGP3825.thumb.JPG.d7dc466bc9c73fb6d22a5

Edited by mr moto

Whoa, yeah! That's my kinda model car!

I love the fade paint, tunneled taillights and antennae, mags and pinstripe whitewalls. The nerf bars, scoops, and side pipes are killer too.

I'd love to see more of these kinds of builds on the forum :)

//Just noticed you put a cove behind the front wheel arch too. Awesome! Just like Car Model magazine depicted in one of their how-to articles in the 60s.

It  has already been said but I am going to say it again - beautiful paint and the subtle changes you have made to the body just add to the overall beauty of the build.  IMHO the '40 Coupe was one of the best looking Fords to roll out of Detroit.  Nice custom.