Model Cars Magazine Forum

Life with cats. Does anyone else have this happen to them?

One of the funniest posts I ever read on this subject (can't remember where):  a guy wrote that he was at the workbench attaching some small parts.  To make that easier, he put a puddle of super-glue on some tinfoil. 

His cat jumped up on the workbench to help.  Cat's rear paws went into the super-glue.  Cat then jumped to the tile floor...where its back paws firmly stuck.

The builder grabbed the De-Bonder to try and un-stick the kitty.  But the poor cat didn't know what was happening and freaked out.  And its front paws were working just fine. He finally got the cat loose, but needed quite a few Band-Aids.

Oliver , my half-British Shorthair / half-"Domestic" Shorthair , is a 14 year old kitten ! He has this compulsion to get-into everything , including my hobby supplies . Other than the occasional "swatting" of parts of the table . he doesn't get into too much trouble .

Molly Anne , my "Calico Cougar" , has always been mature . She has never gotten into my stuff .

Here's Oliver and Molly ; Oliver by himself ,  next image 15896159_10211618810526485_2271447689108720899_o.thumb.jpg.19c59d173e9072ad30f7bb40f0693aa3.jpg

27oct2017_oliver.thumb.jpg.e94452a542efeb43417dec2923809fbf.jpg

Edited by 1972coronet

Mine merely run off with the expensive, fiddly bits of my builds (like pre-wired distributors and braided stainless hose material). Never will I ever have a matched set of wheels/tires either, as inevitably one will come up missing as it was 'used' for their exercise requirements! 

My last cat friend for 14 years seemed to know the things that were absolutely verboten. She did all the entertaining and affectionate and mischievous things cats do, but never once got up on any of my model work areas (that I knew about), never did any damage, and I never had to lock her out of any rooms. 

She was a stray, and was always the indoor-outdoor kind of cat, so most of her shredding and hiding things and chasing energy got worked off outside.

Smart cat.

DSCN0804.thumb.JPG.f4daca2377790706620e68fa9337202b.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'd love to have the basement all to myself, but the cats would sit at the closed door and cry to be let down stairs. They also did this at three o'clock in the morning. It got so bad that I cut a "kitty door" into the basement door. 

And yes, they pilfer. My wife once found my #11 X-Acto knife in the kitchen.

My workshop in in the basement where out cat has full access ... we keep the door unlatched and he knows how to open it for his patrol. I was cautious at first but he never jumped up on the bench at all. If we're both down there, he never jumps up on lap or table. Maybe it's just that things stay pretty constant down there and nothing looks new. I've never seen anything displaced (from his lone excursions) and expect he doesn't jump up when I'm not there.

Pretty extraordinary.

Fur and shedding has been mentioned. When I took my last cat in to be put down a couple of years ago (18 1/2 year old Gus), the veteran offered to cut off a some fur as remembrance. I had to laugh a little, and told her no. I all ready had enough fur around the house to remind me of him for a long time to come. 

By the way, I still miss the old guy. And I hope he is happy up in cat heaven. 

I had 7 cats, all like sons. This year I adopted a stray that found her way into my garage, and was really hungry. After getting rid of the flies, some vaccines, she joined the others. Things were just a bit complicated:

She had a surprise inside...

Yes, the furry, bit of happiness kind of surprise. 

My cats are always with me, and I don't care if there is cats hair in the paint. They are worth a lot more than models.