Model Cars Magazine Forum

An accurate 69 Cuda

BobbyG

It's been a while since I have worked on my projects because of a couple of home moves in the last couple of years, but it's time to get back in the grove and finish up on some MOPAR projects. So here is my 69 Cuda that I have spent a lot of time correcting the trim, grills, interior all to mount on AMT's 71 Duster chassis. My original plan was to use this as a master for a resin model but I have the urge to build it. I have the side marker light opening so I can cast the lens in clear resin. I am trying to hook up with someone to make the grill in 3D as well as the taillight panel. Fireball's excellent Cuda hood scoops will work well for the project. Let me know what you think. 

unnamed (10).jpg

unnamed (8).jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (7).jpg

unnamed (11).jpg

unnamed (14).jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments and inspiration. I can't wait to get this done. Since this morning, I found someone who can do take a crack at the 3D grille/headlight buckets and taillight panel. So I will keep everyone posted. Now I need to find someone willing to make some P/E pieces so this project can knock the ball out of the park. BTW, the 440 engine out of Revell's 69 Charger is the choice for the Cuda engine. I have to complete the seats, console and dash (the console and dash are from Revell's 69 Dart). I know Keith Marks offers the correct decals as well.

Thanks again.

I will be watching, I have this kit and was planing a slant 6 engine for a stock Grandma style/base model Cuda. But I opened the box to pull out the engine to trade to someone, and found the kit to be utter poop. The chassis is junk and the details on the rest of it are very poor. Good thing I only gave $6 at HL for it. Looks like I need to find a duster kit, but if I do that I will end up putting the Slant 6 in it instead.

Edited by Oldmopars

On 4/4/2018 at 6:23 PM, Snake45 said:

Very nice work, very interesting! Maybe when you get it finished, you can do an accurate '69 Firebird body, starting with the Revell '69 Camaro, and get it resin-cast for the rest of us. B)

Ha! Just late last evening, I was looking over models for possible future projects. I forgot I had bought decals from Fred Cady a while back for the '69 Firebird TA. A model that's NEVER been done correctly. Soooo......being my compulsive self, I dug out a Revell '69 Camaro kit that I have, and was comparing that to the hoary MPC '69 Firebird.

Looks VERY doable to me, but once I get rolling on it (I have no timeline), I'm not so sure I want to stop midstream and have it cast. That would take the wind out of my sails to get it done.

That was also one of the kits I strongly advised to Ed Sexton at last years NNL East that could be done. He said that he thought that was done before, but I told him that it's woefully inaccurate, and they already have the "bones" for the kit via their '69 Camaro, and '68 Firebird models.

Sadly, the shape that Revell's in these days, I don't expect them to ever do that model so it's gonna have to come out of my mind and my own two hands.

I want to add that I'm definitely watching this thread! Many years ago, I thought about using the Revell '69 Dart for a chassis donor, but using the '71 Duster looks to be a much better fit! It looks like you didn't have to do any hacking which is a major plus, and the floor pan looks to be very close to the 1:1 as far as the stampings go. Keep up the excellent work!

On 4/7/2018 at 1:57 AM, MrObsessive said:

I want to add that I'm definitely watching this thread! Many years ago, I thought about using the Revell '69 Dart for a chassis donor, but using the '71 Duster looks to be a much better fit! It looks like you didn't have to do any hacking which is a major plus, and the floor pan looks to be very close to the 1:1 as far as the stampings go. Keep up the excellent work!

Thanks to all for your comments.

Thanks Bill, coming from you, I really appreciate your comments and any suggestions you have. This project was halted for quite a while, we had 3 moves in 5 years, now that we are in our new home, I can resume some work on my Mopars I want to get done, which includes my 63 Ply Savoy SS and 62 Dodge Dart Ramcharger. All are detailed and made the same as the Cuda. The Duster's chassis was a shoe-in, not much modifying, just the rear edge to same it to the Cuda's. I used the Duster's door panels for the Cuda's, one thing that was missing from the Cuda kit was the rear quarter panels rise to the rear window, on the deluxe interior, this would be carpeted.

I've always felt that AMT/MPC Cuda's were great while we were growing up, but with what we have today, they are sub-par and deserve better. I am talking with someone who does 3D art to create the 69 Cuda grilles and taillight panel. So stay tuned. The body is complete and polished for casting as well. I have cutouts for the front and rear side marker lights that will be cast in clear resin.

I agree with you about the 69 Firebird as MPC did not get it right, the body is too chunky above all in my opinion. I'm sure the MPC tail panel and front grille can be surgically removed and made to fit Revell's 69 Camaro. The door panels can be modified to the Firebird's, either standard or deluxe depending on the Camaro kit you use. Hopefully Revell will find its way to new ownership and we can get new blood to drive for obvious modified reissues, makes so much sense especially with the technology we have. I don't want to get started on what Round2 and Revell can do...that's another topic!

See you at the NNL. 

3 hours ago, BobbyG said:

Thanks to all for your comments.

Thanks Bill, coming from you, I really appreciate your comments and any suggestions you have. This project was halted for quite a while, we had 3 moves in 5 years, now that we are in our new home, I can resume some work on my Mopars I want to get done, which includes my 63 Ply Savoy SS and 62 Dodge Dart Ramcharger. All are detailed and made the same as the Cuda. The Duster's chassis was a shoe-in, not much modifying, just the rear edge to same it to the Cuda's. I used the Duster's door panels for the Cuda's, one thing that was missing from the Cuda kit was the rear quarter panels rise to the rear window, on the deluxe interior, this would be carpeted.

I've always felt that AMT/MPC Cuda's were great while we were growing up, but with what we have today, they are sub-par and deserve better. I am talking with someone who does 3D art to create the 69 Cuda grilles and taillight panel. So stay tuned. The body is complete and polished for casting as well. I have cutouts for the front and rear side marker lights that will be cast in clear resin.

I agree with you about the 69 Firebird as MPC did not get it right, the body is too chunky above all in my opinion. I'm sure the MPC tail panel and front grille can be surgically removed and made to fit Revell's 69 Camaro. The door panels can be modified to the Firebird's, either standard or deluxe depending on the Camaro kit you use. Hopefully Revell will find its way to new ownership and we can get new blood to drive for obvious modified reissues, makes so much sense especially with the technology we have. I don't want to get started on what Round2 and Revell can do...that's another topic!

See you at the NNL. 

Absolutely.

Other than the "multiple-year" rear fascia , what's truly 'wrong' with the old MPC 1969 Barracuda  appearance-wise

Certainly , the engine compartment is totally incorrect ( round shear panels and the  1966 & earlier brake master cylinder come to mind ) ; the chassis leaves a bit to be desired (moulded-on exhaust) ; and the 383 is the typical "generic" MPC take on the B/ RB engine series (that "distributor" is a joke in itself ) ; but , other than those easily-rectified nuanced artifacts , the car builds-up nicely .

I applaud you and your work here , Bob . That interior alone looks labour-intensive !

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have any more comments on the rear inner panels? I'm building a '69 Barracuda into an SCCA A/Sedan (same as Trans Am race series, but the amateur hip-pocket financed racers). I have found a photo of one that was raced back in the day, but only a poor quality photo of it passing by on a race track. So I don't have any detail shots of the interior of that race car and don't know for sure if the interior side panels were removed leaving the inner structure exposed, or if the panels were there . I was an SCCA Tech Inspector back then. But that car was not raced in my area and not everybody reads a rule book the same way.

I've been aware since the 1960s that MPC got the rear side interior panels way wrong.

I'm also using the AMT '71 Duster chassis. I find it to be correct in wheelbase, but the body is actually a couple or 3 inches short in scale. So I've shortened the chassis to fit. About 1/8" actual. Then it fits beautifully.

The rules for A/Sedan racing then required the 273 V8 engine in the car as the max was 5.0 liters or 305ci. Starting in 1970 the rules were changed to allow de-stroking bigger engines to 305, I'm using Duster 340. 1st, there aren't any 273s available in 1/25. 2nd, visually the 340 looks close enough that nobody would know. 3rd, it just might be built as a 1969 Barracuda being raced later on and using a de-stroked 340!;)

I don't want to take over your thread here, so if you're interested, I can share photos of my project so far.

3 hours ago, Force said:

Isn't the 273 and 318-340-360 close in outside apperance, at least in model form, all of them are small block LA family engines.

Essentially, Yes.

Except for the intake , and exhaust manifolds .( and sometimes valve covers )  they are all basically the same outside appearance