Model Cars Magazine Forum

Desirable Reissues

GerN

1) Now that the 65 Pontiac Bonneville is coming again 
  it would be very nice if primaily the 1960 and -63 would come out.
   With proper decals and wheels / tyres for both drag racing and NASCAR.
   Apparently it can be ok cost/businesswise to include double sets of wheels/tyres, judging from the -62 Polyglas kit,
   I assume, if proper vinyl NASCAR wheels/tyres from that period were tooled, they could be used in other kits also,
   to distribute the tooling  cost
   These two model years would make it possible to build the entire, quite remarkable, performance development for Pontiac, really starting with the -60,
   via the variuos Moebius -61s and AMT -62s, over the various GTOs and Firebird/Trans Ams.
   The introduction of the fast backs in MY-65, certainly gives the -65 Bonneville its deserved place in that chain
   but after that the full size cars at least in my eyes became less interesting
   Of course also the nice -64 would be a wellcome addition

2) A good Cobra Coupé
    Gunze ?

On 10/9/2021 at 10:17 AM, kjohan said:

2) A good Cobra Coupé
    Gunze ?

Did Gunze own their own molds or did they lease and release kits by other makers?  An awful lot of Gunze kits came out in other brands.  Porsche 935 Moby Dick, Mustang II race car, Alfa Romeo GTV (THAT'S a kit I'd like to see again), Triumph TR-3, Bug-eye Sprite

On 10/7/2021 at 2:42 AM, Smoke Wagon said:

I wonder what condition the tooling for AMT’s Ford Ranger and Explorer is in. I’d sure like to see them reissued. My mom used to have a ‘97 Explorer XLT in Light Prairie Tan metallic. The Explorer kit came with Limited and XLT grilles and bumpers.

AMT did '96 and '97 Explorer kits.  I have one of each in the stash, but am not sure what the differences were, if any. The '96 says "4x4" on the boxtop and the '97 doesn't, but both kits have a 4WD chassis.  

I'd guess the chances for a re-issue are slim, since I've read...probably in here...that they didn't sell very well at all.  I remember seeing them dirt cheap at kit swap meets long ago.  You should appreciate this:  they were often dissed as "Mom-mobiles." 🤦‍♀️

Which is a shame,  I'd like to see them re-issued myself.  A lot of police agencies used Explorers in the 1990s.

1 hour ago, carnut said:

AMT 1974 Javelin on top (white) glue kit??

Johan 1974 Javelin on bottom (green) snap kit.

I think that they are different - IMHO.

But that doesn’t matter much to me. I would like to see the AMT reissued.

FB2532DD-40A3-435A-8674-BF2F4D7F8910.jpeg

884FD163-B0D8-4E1E-9F3E-D96C37B11FFB.jpeg

Yes, they're different, but they're all Johan.

MPC produced the 1/20 AMX kits, Revell did a 1/32 Javelin

There may be other oddball kits out there, but basically any 1/25 Javelin or AMX kit out there was produced by Johan, including the ones in AMT boxes (I can think of at least four examples of AMT-boxed Johan Javelin/AMX kits off the top of my head).

AMT had a business relationship with Johan starting in the mid to late 60's  There were numerous AMT releases that were made by Johan. The '67 Toronado, '69 and up AMX's, and the early 70's pro-stock Maverick to name a few off the top of my head.

AMT also released IMC's GT40 MK2 and a number of Heller F-1 cars and other racing subjects so AMT's reboxing of kits wasn't just limited to Johan tooling.

On 10/16/2021 at 5:46 PM, Phirewriter said:

AMT had a business relationship with Johan starting in the mid to late 60's  There were numerous AMT releases that were made by Johan. The '67 Toronado, '69 and up AMX's, and the early 70's pro-stock Maverick to name a few off the top of my head.

AMT also released IMC's GT40 MK2 and a number of Heller F-1 cars and other racing subjects so AMT's reboxing of kits wasn't just limited to Johan tooling.

I'd love to see some of that Heller stuff come back. Like the Matra / Brabham F1 set.

I too would like to see the return of those Heller kits. Unfortunately some of those along with numerous IMC molds were sold/leased? to Union Model Co. of Japan and were released in the late 70's and early 80's After that they seemed to have disappeared and Union, although still in business is a completely different company and no longer in any hobby related ventures.

An additional note, in the late 60's and early 70's AMT also re-boxed aircraft kits from Frog, Hasagawa and possibly a couple others.

Edited by Phirewriter

• 2 weeks later...

Re comments above: Built a few of the Heller kits 40 years ago; Brabham (F3 I think) , Porsche 907 (or 908?), Ferrari P4 & 512, Porsche 917 Gulf/ Wyer, have the -71 Martini in the stash.
They were quite nice and assume at least the Ferraris would catch interest in the wake of the Ford vs Ferrai film (perhaps dwindling now)
The Porsche 907/8  was a bit short on parts/ details but looked quite fine 
The Brabham was so petite and spidery in the suspension, but very nice looking

Now to my own little wish:

The 1964 Mercury Marauder
With proper Nascar wheels/tyres, barren interior and instrument panel, decals for the Bill Stroppe cars (Panelli J, Darel D, Dave McD et al)
And proper routing of the exhausts coming out in the sides/above the sills/ behind the B-post. 
(No moulded in exhausts all the way back to the rear)
Probably something could be added around the tank/fuel filling system
That is: a kit similar to what Moebius did with Weatherlys -61 Pontiac (plus little more)

Those old Nascar racers have in my eyes a very distinct allure and should deserve kits that "go one step further"
Venture a guess that those interested in these cars could perhaps be willing to spend a few bucks extra to get the real thing

Heller kits were never that great in my opinion. I do agree with your comment on the older Nascar kits but it seems that brief time of making these latest kits have come and gone already. I hope not but how long has it been since a new one has come out?

The chassis from the Tom Daniel 'Vette was recycled into the 1/24 scale '65 Corvette.  None of the C3 versions (TD or "wagon" version) has been issued since the '65 came out, so the change is apparently a permanent one.

On 10/31/2021 at 11:30 AM, TonyK said:

Heller kits were never that great in my opinion. I do agree with your comment on the older Nascar kits but it seems that brief time of making these latest kits have come and gone already. I hope not but how long has it been since a new one has come out?

Depends on the vintage of Heller kit to which you're referring. The earlier kits like the Porsche and the Ferrari are a lot better than the later ones like the Ford Focus, Peugeot and Citroen rally cars.

Edited by ZTony8

On 10/31/2021 at 3:30 PM, TonyK said:

Au contraire, mon ami… the 70s Classic cars (Delahaye, Hispano Suiza, Bugatti), F1 (McLaren, Lotus, Brabham) and sports cars (Ferrari 512, 917, 908) plus oddballs like the hotel bus and Delahaye fire engine are, IMHO about as good as it could have got in an era of analogue design and old-school prototyping and tooling…

best,

M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 9:19 PM, Smoke Wagon said:

Not sure if there’s a market for it now, but MPC’s Stutz Bearcat would be nice to see.

Also the Thomas Flyer. I am not sure of that kit's pedigree. Weren't there some other classic cars MPC released, perhaps mostly in 1/32nd scale? 

Thomas Flyer.jpeg

• Like 1