Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Glue Bomb Makeover: '68 Motion Performance SS427 Corvette


Recommended Posts

This build was inspired by several nice builds of the Revell '68-'69 Corvettes that I've seen on here in the last few months, so, thanks, fellas!

Got it at the local toy show last year. Fell in love with the beautiful ruby maroon paint job, and thought it would be be a good candidate for one of my quick, easy “rescue” projects. The paint was very orange-peeled, so I tried to rub it out with my standard Wright's Silver Cream, which put a nice shine on the peel but didn't level it out at all. So I started wet-sanding it with 3M #1500 and cut through to primer almost immediately. Oh well, better to have that happen at the beginning of a job than at the very end, and I wasn't wild about having to live with the molding lines running across the front fenders anyway. So it got an Easy-Off bath. Here's what I started with. Notice that the OB glued the taillight bezels and license plate frame on the outside of the body—and the license plaste frame upside down to boot!





Since I had to repaint it anyway, I decided to remake it MY way. I thought a Motion Performance SS427 with the removable uptop would look badass (I already built a '69 Baldwin-Motion coupe), and doing it in '68 Corvette Bronze would make it badass with class. Did Motion build any such '68 Corvettes? Who knows? But they COULD have. Motion Perfomance was a speed dealer and custom shop; they didn't do standardized packages like the Yenko Camaros. If you wanted it and could pay for it, Motion would build it for you. Someone COULD have driven a Corvette Bronze '68 Vette into the Motion shop with a glovebox full of money and said “Fix me up, fellas.”

I took the hood and wheels from the recent Yenko issue of Revell's '69 Coupe kit, which near as I can tell is pretty much the early-'90s Baldwin-Motion issue with a new luggage rack added. The side exhausts might be from there, too, I forget which kit I pirated them from. I copped some smaller front tires from the parts box to get the front end ride height down a bit and give a little badass rake. Everything else on this model is original from the toy show glue bomb, and I did nothing whatsoever to the engine, chassis, or interior.

The role of Corvette Bronze in this production is played by Testor Fiery Orange (3 coats) over Walmart Black Primer. Then three or four airbrushed coats of Model Master Clear Top Coat enamel, all wet-sanded with 3M #1500 and final polished with Wright's Silver Cream. It's not quite dark enough and not quite red enough for '68 Corvette Bronze, but if you google-image “1968 Corvette Bronze” you can see at least a couple cars that look pretty close to this color. Oh well, it's pretty, anyway.






This was my first try at using the “foil under paint” technique, which I did on the rear deck CORVETTE, the hood SS427 emblems, and the front and rear deck crossed-flag emblems. I'm quite pleased with how the technique worked, and I'll definitely be using it again.

I really like how this one turned out. I like it SO much that I just MIGHT go ahead and build a nice dedicated interior, chassis, and engine for it.





And here it is alongside the box-stock '69 Baldwin-Motion Coupe I built in the early '90s. They make a pretty nice looking pair IMHO. As always, comments welcome.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do like that fiery orange.   It could pass for a factory color IMO.   But I must say the OB must not read instructions by looking at that taillight trick he pulled.    I about choked on that pic......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazing how much better it looks now. As for the color I'm still in rehab for my addiction to that. Glad you fixed the tail lights, not sure what the original builder was thinking. Ahh your license plate is still upside down ? The darker shade on the wheels spokes look better also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, espo said:

 Ahh your license plate is still upside down ? 

The frame was originally glued on upside down (and inside out). Now the frame is right side up and where it's supposed to be. I leave the upside down plate as a reminder of the thing's humble glue bomb origins. B)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...