Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finding stuff you forgot

Was looking for my builtup of 41 Lincoln yesterday.  I have moved twice since some of this stuff was packed.   Some was packed by my ex to give to me during our divorce.   So I found several "new" goodies and LOTS of builtups I had forgotten.  Mostly NASCAR, but I'll put those on eBay I guess.   But also occurred to me that whenever I want a new toy car, I should go down to my boxes and find one.  LOL.  Much cheaper that way.

Anyone else find "new" stuff when you're looking for something else?  Builtups can bring back some fun memories, especially.  Kits and diecasts have their own rewards as well.  

I had packed away all my model stuff about 10 years ago when my son was a baby and I wanted to focus on restoring my real car. Time marches on and my son is old enough, we get to talking about models. I decide to start pulling out the boxes I have stored away in the garage and in many other places around the house and I'm finding stuff I didn't know I had!

I keep opening boxes and find more things that I was wanting to go out and buy, but I am finding I already have it.

It's like going to a model kit show and finding that elusive kit that I knew I wanted, only I don't have to pay collector prices for it. It's already mine!

Sometimes senility is a wonderful thing. ?

Edited by Oldcarfan27

When unpacking from my move last year, I found kits that I had forgotten I had, including duplicates.  Even found an order of kits from Model Roundup that I hadn't opened (it came when I was packing my last moving pod, I must have put it in directly from the mail). 

I wish I could say no, but not true.  I am constantly finding stuff I didn't know I had.  Stash is too big and often I bought aftermarket stuff and threw it in the box so there are a lot of little surprises in the boxes. 

All the time. Thats how I end up with multiples of some of the early annuals I have . After buying a second ( or a third ) I finally decided to make up an excel  list in the computer. Of what I have, when I bought it, costs and what parts if any are needed.  Age tends to play with ones mind when I get to a show and see a part ' I THINK ' I need.

Recently a kit on eBay caught my eye and I thought I wouldn't mind having one . So I put it in my watch list. 

Then a couple days later  was rummaging around the model bench storage  area. Low and behold found out I already had that kit. Huh, lucky me .

It was Heller kit of a Citreon something (early 30s car )

Edited by gtx6970

As far as kits go... I stack boxes sideways on top of each other so there open to the front ... and fill them with kits so I can always see where they are and what I have.... built models and die-cast are in display cases so I can see them... Now after-market parts,  craft supplies, paint, etc. is another story.... Always run across things I forgot I had when looking for something..;)

a few years ago Alan Barton was here and we spent an entire day opening boxes in my basement  model car storage room.  About half way through the hoard he asked me how many Valiant kits I thought I had... I estimated a dozen and he laughed, "we've unwrapped double that already!"  We also found twice the number of 65-66 Barracudas I thought I owned including one I swear I never saw before!

Those of you who know exactly what you have are very sick individuals.:P.  And you are missing out on a LOT of fun of rediscovering things.   I have things of all scales from Micro Machines up to the 1/12 motorcycles and the Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 935 turbo.    And when they were packed by my ex, she did not pack in any sort of organized manner - she did pack carefully, but there may be 1/64, 1/43, 1/24-5, and 1/18 all in one box.  And slot car stuff too.  I've got to get rid of a lot of it - just not enough room in my life.  Selling on ebay slowly, but need to step it up soon if I have any hope of getting rid of it all before I leave this coil.  

Thanks for the replies - great reading.