Model Cars Magazine Forum

hobby lobby

6 minutes ago, Hawk312 said:

Still nothing in Hilton Head...everything regular price. :( I was really hoping to come home with an airbrush. :( At that price, that would push me over the edge (been painting with sprays only for 35+ years).  

Do you have a Walmart? If so, go over to the home/tools section, where the compressors are, and see if they have the Campbell-Housefield airbrush kit for $20. This is a Chinese made copy of the double action Badger 150. I bought one last month, have only used it once so far but I was VERY impressed with it, especially for the price. 

i lucked on on the hobby lobby clearance about a week ago. I happened to go in for canvas paint and lo and behold a woman had just gotten finished putting up the clearance signs for the models. I bought almost every clearance model kit they had, about 30, doubles and all. Planes, cars, ships even a few display boxes, the whole works. Most of the kits are not my cup of tea, but i figured for 2.99 - 7.49 what the heck. I was told they would have all been gone in a day or two. I timed it perfect. That was a good day.

Edited by foxbat426

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Do you have a Walmart? If so, go over to the home/tools section, where the compressors are, and see if they have the Campbell-Housefield airbrush kit for $20. This is a Chinese made copy of the double action Badger 150. I bought one last month, have only used it once so far but I was VERY impressed with it, especially for the price. 

Wow. Thanks for the tip Snake! Cant go wrong for only $20. I`ll give it a try. 

After watching this post start a week ago i knew markdowns were coming at my local store. Fortunately I had other business in town that allowed me to be able to check nearly each day last week. I'm a builder, so I was looking for myself, not resale. The last markdown like this re-sellers swooped in and emptied the shelves very quickly, so I knew I would have to be there either day of or day after markdowns. By Friday i was getting frustrated that the models were still not marked down. But, I heard the telltale sign of the ticketing guns in action in other aisles, so I had a feeling it was coming. Stopped in Saturday morning, and sure enough, the markdowns had hit the model aisle. Oh happy day!

I left plenty of clearance kits on the shelves for others to share in the discounts.

And BTW, I do support my LHS. I buy my kits, supplies, magazines and scratchbuilding stuff there. But since the prices of Revell and Round2 kits have gotten so high, buying a $30 kit just for a part or two is no longer feasible, so these big store clearance sales are great.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

The amusing thing about people trying to swoop in and buy the entire Clearance section to resell is of course this is happening nationwide at 822 stores, and so now there will be a glut of kits that...well had to be clearance'd out because they couldn't sell them at the 40% off price.  Which of course means the price of any of those kits is now $10 max, and when you figure out all the fees you pay on eBay, people will either end up sitting on a pile of stuff they can't sell, or barely break even in the process.

19 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

The amusing thing about people trying to swoop in and buy the entire Clearance section to resell is of course this is happening nationwide at 822 stores, and so now there will be a glut of kits that...well had to be clearance'd out because they couldn't sell them at the 40% off price.  Which of course means the price of any of those kits is now $10 max, and when you figure out all the fees you pay on eBay, people will either end up sitting on a pile of stuff they can't sell, or barely break even in the process.

Yeah, it amuses me as well. But, within the last week I have watched a bunch of the HL clearance items pop up on the various swap and auction groups I'm a member of on Facebook. 

I went to 3 hobby lobby stores on Saturday. The first I bought the following

1 Porsche 914

1 Mazda rx-7

2 Dodge 330

1 64 thunderbolt

1 gran tofino

19 can of spray

2 paint marker replacement tips

2 make your own paint marker

Second store I got nothing (No clearance).  The third store I got 1 rx-7 and 2 cans of paint. 

I did the math and if everything was retail I would have spent $367.  Everything being clearance I only spent $91. Those amounts are pretax. Paint was $1.25-1.50 each. Could pass it up.  I only buy what I plan to build.

20180630_193337.jpg

Edited by suprafastcelica

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Yeah, it amuses me as well. But, within the last week I have watched a bunch of the HL clearance items pop up on the various swap and auction groups I'm a member of on Facebook. 

Me too! Reminiscent of when Ollies had a big clearance a couple of years ago, saw some people at a swap meet two weeks later trying to get $18 for a kit they paid $6.99 for! Needless to say, those folks went home with those kits.

As mentioned, for these prices it is hard to beat picking up a kit for $7-8 if you are going to just use certain parts, which is what I intend to do. The rest of the kit will be given away or traded for other parts, something I surely would not have done had I paid full retail.

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

After these sales, I'm amused when I see the close-out kits at the big local flea market.  Marked up to twice or more the clearance price, of course.  I did sort of admire the chutzpah of one vendor with some very familiar-looking kits, whose sales pitch was: "You'd pay $30 for that kit at Hobby Lobby!"  No I wouldn't. I'd do what you did, go to Ollie's and buy it for $7.99.   

On 7/1/2018 at 5:34 PM, Hawk312 said:

Wow. Thanks for the tip Snake! Cant go wrong for only $20. I`ll give it a try. 

Hawk, I just used it for the second time. 

The first time I used it, it was to touch up some small areas, and for this it did a superb job. 

I just used it again, this time for touching up a much larger area (an entire model car roof). Didn't like it as well for that. The pattern is pretty small, and what would have been three or four "passes" with my beloved old Badger 350 became more like 10 or 12 or more with the C-H. In the end it did the job, but I'm not sure I would want to try to paint an entire model car body with it. 

Still a VERY nice airbrush for small areas and detail work, and I'm sure sooner or later I'll be doing some model airplane camo with it. But for a typical whole model car body, I think the Badger 350 or Paasche H is a better choice. 

Just sayin'. 

Sat. 7/7: just went to the Hobby Lobby.  Only 2 car kits were still marked down to $7.49: the Revell Mazda RX-7 and the stock '76 Ford Torino.  All other kits marked down last week were back up to regular prices, like the PL McEwen Barracuda and Lindberg '38 Ford.

A few airbrushes were still marked down. The Iwata Eclipse had a red-sticker price of $149, regular price $249.

On 7/2/2018 at 4:04 PM, ranma said:

Well I tried the Lima Ohio Location, But the person who works that section of the store told me that 1 Customer bought every  and all of sale item's in the model section.

Ralph Kramden get rich quick scheme..... so ya see Norton....

I don't know,the HL near me just opened about a year ago.I have yet to see anything on discount,not just models.I asked about a discount section,and the worker looked at me like I had snakes crawling out of my eyes.I've decided to simply boycott the store.Theres another HL that just opened about 2 months ago.I haven't been there yet to see about a clearance section.I may take a look.But I think more than likely,I'm going to wind up just boycotting them as well.Again,I'll stick to my LHS.Help the little guy,that's my thought.??????????????

No kits left in Evansville, IN. However, I bought several cans of spray paint. The paint rack was a real mess so I asked a kid which of the paints were on clearance sale. He looked me dead in the eye and said, "All of them". I grabbed a BUNCH of cans of spray paint and headed to the check out. The gal asked me about the difference in the prices. Some were still marked the regular $6.99 and some were marked down to $1.54 and still others were marked down to $1.24. So she called the kid that worked back there that I talked to and he told her they were all $1.24. Yeah, buddy! I walked out of there grinning like the cat that ate the canary! I got over 20 cans at $1.24 each.

HL at 75th and Bell in Glendale had 3 clearance kits today. The Lindberg 37 Ford Convertible, the Revell Porsche 914/6 2n1, and the Lindberg Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria ship kit (all three ships in one box. 1/144 scale).

I bought one each of all 3. Didn't really want any of them, but what the heck. When I left the store there were still 2 of each of the above on the shelves. These were all in the regular model section. I looked in the clearance section, but nothing there.

They had several of the other kits mentioned in this thread, but those weren't on clearance. :( Had a few (very few) cans of Testor's spray paint on clearance, but no colors I would likely ever use.

Hoping I can use the 37 chassis for something else. Don't know why I bought the Porsche other than it was cheap. Not something that interests me at all.

Thanks,

Russ