Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell "Eldorado" model

Motor City

Something makes me think that Revell would have been better off giving us a stock Eldorado from this era.

I believe that it would have appealed to a much larger audience.

Most customizers that I know would rather do their own work anyway, & you would have had all of us who would like to see a stock kit.

Seems like a wasted effort to me.

I won't waste my money on one.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

The two all-new Foose kits generated more buzz than nearly anything else Revell has done in the last few years.  They're somewhat simplified yet have good detail.  They're accurate as the finished 1:1 vehicles yet leave meat on the bone for those who would do things a bit (or a lot) differently.  And, both kits have chassis, wheels/tires, engines, and interior parts that are adaptable to other projects.  Anyone I know who bought one, bought more than one.  These kits, and the new-tool modified Model A coupe and roadster pretty much knocked it out of the park for Revell. 

A stock '56 Ford pickup would probably sell well...stock Cadillac would sell well among the fanatics, but there just aren't enough of them around. 

I'll be sure and let Revell know they need to get your seal of approval before releasing new kits.

Seriously guys, what a bunch of whiners. Don't like it? Don't buy one. Spare us your righteous "stock bodied" indignation.

Image result for dead horse meme

Edited by Jantrix

40 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Spare us your righteous "stock bodied" indignation.

There was none in my comment. I was stating my personal preference.  Personal preferences, and opinions are always correct and aren't stated as talking points for a debate on the merits of what these kits are. If I, or anyone else for that matter, cares to opine one way or another about a particular kit, no big deal in the larger scheme of things. These comments won't sway anyone else's decision whether or not to buy a kit. 

Clearly Revell did the market reasearch . And as much as I’d like to see a stock bodied cad , I’ll take what I can get . It’s awesome kit , with lots of kitbashing potential ... quit yer complainin’ , nobody wants that negativity ...

Edited by Dale Gribble

Remember, these kits were the ones chosen by popular vote.   Foose's subjects are popular, and these kits seem to be good sellers.   I'm not into customs, but I think it's a neat kit.  I'd like to see a stock '48-49 Coupe de Ville or '53 Eldorado, but I know the odds of that happening are slim to none, more of a subject for resin. 

7 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Remember, these kits were the ones chosen by popular vote.   Foose's subjects are popular, and these kits seem to be good sellers.   I'm not into customs, but I think it's a neat kit.  I'd like to see a stock '48-49 Coupe de Ville or '53 Eldorado, but I know the odds of that happening are slim to none, more of a subject for resin. 

Facts, just getting away of a good complaint thread :lol:

6 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I dunno. Moebius's line of Hudsons and their relative success tells me that early 50's Detroit steel can sell. I'd lean towards a 1948-53 Cadillac Series 62 with a recommendation that at some point they release a 1950 Series 61 done up as the Briggs Cunningham Le Mans racer!

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

I'll be sure and let Revell know they need to get your seal of approval before releasing new kits.

Seriously guys, what a bunch of whiners. Don't like it? Don't buy one. Spare us your righteous "stock bodied" indignation.

Image result for dead horse meme

Lol!!:lol:

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

No need to get the panties in a wad. :rolleyes:

My only point is that you're limiting your audience by producing a "custom only" kit.

A stock kit can be customized.

A custom kit like this cannot be made stock.

There goes half of your sales potential.

Kit manufacturers today are always trying to maximize their tooling and trying to make room for future versions from the same molds.

well, there's no where to go from here with this kit.

Not only that, but what customizer would not rather start with a clean slate rather than being spoon fed a body that's been so radically customized already.

Only makes sense to me.

Steve

3 hours ago, Mark said:

stock Cadillac would sell well among the fanatics, but there just aren't enough of them around. 

I don't think that I agree at all with that statement.

Does anybody remember the Monogram 1959 Cadillac Eldorado kit?

I'm pretty confident that it's been a very successful kit.

As were the Monogram '59 Impala, '65 Impala, and a whole slew of other "stock" kits from that series.

Does anybody think that the AMT '58 Edsel, '60 Ford Starliner or '57 Chrysler 300 were failures?

I don't think so.

All unusual "stock" subjects.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

54 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

My only point is that you're limiting your audience by producing a "custom only" kit.

A stock kit can be customized.

A custom kit like this cannot be made stock.

There goes half of your sales potential.

Kit manufacturers today are always trying to maximize their tooling and trying to make room for future versions from the same molds.

well, there's no where to go from here with this kit.

Not only that, but what customizer would not rather start with a clean slate rather than being spoon fed a body that's been so radically customized already.

Only makes sense to me.

Steve

Steve, you make very valid points, and normally that would apply, but in the case of the Fooseball kits, it doesnt,  this was a one and done kit is my understanding and there was never going to be stock versions offered.  There is nothing wrong with doing a one off kit once and awhile.

Edited by martinfan5

4 hours ago, mike 51 said:

I'm just not a Foose fan I guess.... 

X2. Foose customs do nothing for me. Not my cup of tea. And no, that doesn't make me "right", but neither does it make me wrong. I'd be another vote for stock kits, especially late 50s and early 60s, say from '58 to '62. Lots of major changes in styling in those years. Just think of what the Impala went through in those 5 years.

Edited by smhardesty

Yeah that Foose FD-100 is such a lousy choice for a kit that the new Revell decided to do another run of it on it's first dozen kits to be re-stocked.  I bet all the manufacturers wish they could have such a failure.

Edited by niteowl7710