Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is why I want to find an AMT '67 Ford Galaxie kit

blunc

About five years ago, there was a lot of activity in the "What if" thread here (if you haven't gone through it, you should check it out here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/61461-what-if/).

While participating in that thread, I decided to apply  some of the body mods to a '67 Ford Galaxie that Chip Foose had done to the '65 Chevy Impala (2015 Ridler winner) that is called The Imposter, below is the resultant PhotoChop:

67galaxie-sport.thumb.jpg.9dce1e3b2aec76b37f210896135ec38a.jpg

Here is the original for comparison:

5c15378eb863a_1967FordGalaxie500side.JPG.a77c69526b2f722c17dc9fe383ee9d5f.JPG

Edited by blunc
fix

• 4 months later...
On 12/15/2018 at 12:26 PM, blunc said:

About five years ago...I decided to apply some of the body mods to a '67 Ford Galaxie that Chip Foose had done to the '65 Chevy Impala (2015 Ridler winner) that is called The Imposter, below is the resultant PhotoChop:

67galaxie-sport.thumb.jpg.9dce1e3b2aec76b37f210896135ec38a.jpg

I well remember this beauty, and think it surpasses what Foose did by miles. This one is SO good, it really needs to be built full-scale. That is one gorgeous set of lines, sir.

16 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I well remember this beauty, and think it surpasses what Foose did by miles. This one is SO good, it really needs to be built full-scale. That is one gorgeous set of lines, sir.

I appreciate the compliment, the Galaxie had some good lines to start with, I just distilled it a little bit (occasionally...the blind squirrel comes up with a good nut).

• 7 months later...

'I would take LESS out from in front of the rear wheels. The visual centerline of the C-pillar should intersect with the center of the wheel. Have you ever noticed SAABs from the 80's look weird? That is why.'

I don't understand what you mean, Bill. A drawing would help!

To me it looks fine.  

Edited by DonW
more info.

Notice centerline of C-pillars hits the top of the quarterpanel at or forward of the centerline of the rear axle. The Saab C-pillar centerline hits the top of the panel way behind the axle centerline. When you shorten the wheelbase on your galaxie, be cognizant of this relationship.

C-pillar to axle centerline camaro.jpg

C-pillar to axle centerline Cougar.jpg

C-pillar to axle centerline GSX.jpg

C-pillar to axle centerline GTO.jpg

C-pillar to axle centerline mustang.jpg

C-pillar to axle centerline Saab.jpg

12 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Notice centerline of C-pillars hits the top of the quarterpanel at or forward of the centerline of the rear axle. The Saab C-pillar centerline hits the top of the panel way behind the axle centerline. When you shorten the wheelbase on your galaxie, be cognizant of this relationship.

Be cognizant of the fact that if the C-pillar on the very well proportioned restyling exercise presented here was as wide horizontally as those referenced, the visual center of mass would be where the leading edge of it is in the exercise...precisely where you want it to be.

Also be cognizant of the fact that the intersection of the lower rear line of the sail panel and the horizontal element of the quarter panel on all your examples of "correct" is directly over the rear edge of the tire...precisely where it is on the exercise.

Further, be cognizant of the fact that the proportions of the Saab and the exercise bear no resemblance to each other whatsoever.

Thanks both for the clarifications. To my mind the upshot is that the exercise looks good.

And clearly Malcolm Sayer and Bill Heynes had it completely wrong, as did Enzo Ferrari when he described their Jaguar E-Type as  "the most beautiful car ever made". ?

image.jpeg.4ad5bc8403d58a759722cabe20ef45d8.jpeg

1 hour ago, DonW said:

Thanks both for the clarifications. To my mind the upshot is that the exercise looks good.

And clearly Malcolm Sayer and Bill Heynes had it completely wrong, as did Enzo Ferrari when he described their Jaguar E-Type as  "the most beautiful car ever made". ?

image.jpeg.4ad5bc8403d58a759722cabe20ef45d8.jpeg

I agree with you completely, sir.

The Ford exercise looks better than just about any restyle I've ever seen. The lines of the original are nice, but Mike's condensation of what's already good makes a striking improvement. Kinda like cooking a sauce down to intensify the flavor.

His restyle shrinks a wallowing boat down to a nicely tossable package, but retains a distinctly American feel.

I can envision that body built in composite materials, over Corvette C5 chassis and running gear to give it handling and performance to match its looks...but maybe with vintage Ford 5.0 pushrod or even Coyote power.

Just my opinion but I don't think the E-Type shown above is a good comparison to the Galaxie. The Jag, for lack of how to term it, is more of a fastback, similar to the Mustang listed above. As a "fixed head (or drop head) coupe" it looks to be in the ball park. The Barracudas are another example.

etype.jpeg

cudafb.jpeg

cudacp.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm just not seeing how you get "short and squat" out of the redesign.

It's lower, more aggressive, and if it were real, would remove at least 1/2 a ton of useless blubber.

When I saw your comment, had to look at this topic.  Ditto, reduces the barge look.

36 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm just not seeing how you get "short and squat" out of the redesign.

It's lower, more aggressive, and if it were real, would remove at least 1/2 a ton of useless blubber.

Just my opinion guys.

I think GM, Ford and Mopar did a pretty good job in aesthetics department as a general rule during this time period.

I guess that's why I don't usually care for customs.

Someone always feels that they have a better idea of what is pleasing to the eye, and in most cases, they don't.

Again, just my opinion.

Steve

in my original post of this artwork back in 2013, I stated: here is my concept for what Ford might have made if they had made a beefy "big brother" to the 67 Mustang: a 67 Galaxy Sport Coupe

It's not meant to be a custom, it's meant to be a "What If?".

On 1/19/2020 at 6:43 PM, blunc said:

in my original post of this artwork back in 2013, I stated: here is my concept for what Ford might have made if they had made a beefy "big brother" to the 67 Mustang: a 67 Galaxy Sport Coupe

It's not meant to be a custom, it's meant to be a "What If?".

Custom or what-if concept, it's still a striking piece of work.

Imagine showing up at a car show with that built on Mustang underpinnings...with no backyard hacking, everything built like the factory would have done it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Maybe I'm missing something, but the sleek version is nothing more than a Photoshopped vertical "squish" with the wheels pasted back in to be round.  Yes, it looks wickedly cool.

It would be a massive undertaking to do on a real car, and likewise on a model.  It is not just a chop and section.

Unless one had a digital solid file that could be dis-proportionally scaled, much like the image and outputted...

actually not just a vertical squish, it was digitally sectioned and shortened (I know this because I did it),  part of it was a vertical squish to give the impression of a laid back windshield.

it would have to be "modeled" similar to how Foose built the Imposter.

it would also require more artwork since just a profile is insufficient to styling cues for the front and rear ends.