Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Chevy Corvette......my one and only for '18.

MrObsessive

Finally got this one done! At least as far as I'm going to take it. Some things I had to leave on the cutting room floor. For instance, MPC gives you no provision for windshield wipers.

Looking at how shallow the cowl is in relation to the shape of the hood, if I tried to put in wipers, the hood would be sticking way up in the air, so I let those go. Also, the scripts were quite faint even after the original paint was stripped.

IMO, my attempts at painting these are not as good as I'd like and I'm not that good at the BMF under paint technique. Each time I try that the BMF tears spoiling the appearance. PE is the best way to go for me, but the lack of a PE set for '74's, I just had to make do with what I have.

Before............

P1016379-vi.jpg
P1016382-vi.jpg

Edited by MrObsessive
Dual post............posted too soon.............

Finally got this one done! At least as far as I'm going to take it. Some things I had to leave on the cutting room floor. For instance, MPC gives you no provision for windshield wipers.

Looking at how shallow the cowl is in relation to the shape of the hood, if I tried to put in wipers, the hood would be sticking way up in the air, so I let those go. Also, the scripts were quite faint even after the original paint was stripped.

IMO, my attempts at painting these are not as good as I'd like and I'm not that good at the BMF under paint technique. Each time I try that the BMF tears spoiling the appearance. PE is the best way to go for me, but the lack of a PE set for '74's, I just had to make do with what I have.

Before............

P1016379-vi.jpg
P1016382-vi.jpg

After....... ;)

P1016573vi-vi.jpg
P1016563vi-vi.jpg
P1016564vi-vi.jpg
P1016565vi-vi.jpg
P1016566vi-vi.jpg
P1016568vi-vi.jpg
P1016567vi-vi.jpg

Not a lot of engine detail as I wanted to make this as simple a build as possible. Just the obligatory wiring, fuel lines, and a couple hoses.

Here's the next one that's been neglected for a long time. The '68 L88 427 convertible which I originally built in 1988. VERY dusty and the soft top is among the missing. I recently got another soft top and this will be taken apart and repainted Corvette Bronze.

New or redone wheels are in order, better detailed engine and redline tires this time around.

P1016570-vi.jpg
P1016571-vi.jpg

In the future I'm going to be doing more of these redo/rescues. I'm at a point in the hobby (and in life) that I want to get more done. That doesn't mean I won't be doing any more superdetailed builds, just changing the focus a bit more on projects that I've had literally in mind for a very long time, that need to see the light of day.

Thanks for lookin' folks!

EDIT: I deleted the pics in this second post and re-ran them through my photo editor. It bugged me that they were a bit 'dark'. I usually do this, but it slipped my mind. Looks better on my monitor on this end!

Edited by MrObsessive
Re-edited pics for better color contrast

Not much for Vettes, except the first gen Stingrays 63-67, but this one is a real beauty.  I may have to reconsider using the ones in my stash for trading fodder and actually try building one.  Of course, it will be nowhere close to the exceptional work seen here.

Edited by TarheelRick

This turned out very nice, but that's not a surprise to anyone that has seen your previous work. The modifications that you did really improve the look, and as always, a great paint job and very nice and clean overall look make it stand out from the other Corvettes that I've seen in a while. Excellent job.

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Here's the next one that's been neglected for a long time. The '68 L88 427 convertible which I originally built in 1988. VERY dusty and the soft top is among the missing. I recently got another soft top and this will be taken apart and repainted Corvette Bronze.

New or redone wheels are in order, better detailed engine and redline tires this time around.

P1016570-vi.jpg

In the future I'm going to be doing more of these redo/rescues. I'm at a point in the hobby (and in life) that I want to get more done. That doesn't mean I won't be doing any more superdetailed builds, just changing the focus a bit more on projects that I've had literally in mind for a very long time, that need to see the light of day.

Thanks for lookin' folks!

Bill, if I were you, I would just clean that one up, do any obvious needed repairs or touchups, and leave it alone as a time capsule of your 1988 modeling skills. This is a common and inexpensive kit--start with a new one and build it up to your current standards, and then you can display them together to show how far you've come in 30 years. I've done this in a couple cases and plan to do some more of it. And I have a couple of my original old builds that I stripped and now wish I hadn't. 

Just something to think about, old friend. B)

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Bill, if I were you, I would just clean that one up, do any obvious needed repairs or touchups, and leave it alone as a time capsule of your 1988 modeling skills.

I've thought about that, but I have other models which I haven't posted here which could show the differences. Besides, I've already taken this one apart! :P

P1016574.thumb.JPG.b58333391fcec24e772bb264fdd6908d.JPG

Later on once I really get rolling, I'll start a new thread for this one. Thanks for the idea though..........I did have my mind set on getting this one redone as I've got paint for it and all. I have a '57 Corvette I'll have to post sometime which I did about a year before this one. You want to see a stark contrast between that and the one I did 15 years later?? Yikes!  :blink:

This one I don't think I even painted........I think I just clearcoated the plastic for whatever reason and I've always hated that 'see-through' look you get when you don't put primer on the plastic.

Edited by MrObsessive

Beautiful work as always!

As far as the high stance, you are absolutely correct. That's how they looked. Many sports cars of that time were simply "jacked up" by the manufacturers as the easiest way to meet new federal bumper height regs. More sophisticated solutions were left for later re-designs. As I recall, MG's a really bad case of it.

5 hours ago, mr moto said:

Beautiful work as always!

As far as the high stance, you are absolutely correct. That's how they looked. Many sports cars of that time were simply "jacked up" by the manufacturers as the easiest way to meet new federal bumper height regs. More sophisticated solutions were left for later re-designs. As I recall, MG's a really bad case of it.

Ahhhh yes! The 'ole "4X4" appearance of those MG's! Back in the mid '80's I had a '71 MG Midget (yes I could get into one) and I do remember being parked to newer mid '70's MG's at the time and how mine was noticeably lower than those.

Gotta love the regs at the time. Styling is subjective, but if it weren't for the fact that many of those '70's cars were good looking, we'd have whole lost generation of vehicles due to those battering ram bumpers! Yuck!

1 minute ago, MrObsessive said:

Back in the mid '80's I had a '71 MG Midget (yes I could get into one)

Amazing. My girlfriend of the '80s drove one and I could only just barely get into the passenger seat. I don't remember if I ever actually drove the little beast or not--if I did, it was only once. :blink:

Nice Corvette, Bill.  I enjoy all your builds so if you get a few more out in 2019, all the better.   I too have realized that there is less time than I'd like to work on these things so my goal now is a good shelf model and only a few will have the extra detail.