Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC 7500 Fertilizer Spreader Truck

I picked up a pair of resin cabs off of Ebay a while back that were just terrible. They're the same cab that Dave sells, but they were cast in a strange colored resin. This was the best of the two and it is pretty bad. The resin was very swirly like it wasn't mixed well. It seemed good and solid unlike the other cab, but seems to be reacting with the paint in one spot and not allowing the paint to dry well. The cab was full of deformations as well. So here's the plan (if I can get paint to completely dry in one spot), This is going to be a fertilizer spreader truck used on a farm, maybe even built by the farmer himself. A little banged up from a life of hard work. The front tires will be 48" and the rears 66". This will be a curbside, but I will cut down an 8v-71 to replicate at least the bottom side of a 6v-53. I plan to build this out of mostly junk parts considering that's what the cab is. I have a salvaged IH 4200 frame that it will sit on. The bed will be scratch built.

IMG_0416.jpg.7dfac376caa99b2e2afc4f6261f153f6.jpgIMG_0415.jpg.d48c800767a9d0cef086b6944ab42227.jpg

Here's my reference: Notice these truck are two wheel drive.

5cd8a0dd39629_offroadtruck66.JPG.05dec6ec7df7926478acfb446c7a955e.JPG

Thanks guys!

I'm having some real trouble with this cab. I knew that it looked rough, but I never expected it to react with the paint. Lacquer that normal dries in minutes doesn't dry in days on two ares of this cab. I repainted with enamel today thinking maybe that a paint that wasn't as hot may not react the same with the resin. I have it sitting in the sun now and everything is dry to the touch except for my problem areas. The other cab had really bad curing problems causing large bubble all over the place. When you cut open the bubbles it is slightly soft underneath. I'm thinking maybe there was a curing problem with this cab as well. I'm sure something wasn't mixed well as it was very swirly. I'll give it more time to see if it dries. I may have to call Dave and get a new one. I'm really wanting to do this project now!

1 hour ago, gotnitro? said:

My 2 cents sounds like youd be further ahead getting another cab . Dave will definitely help ya out , I've needed parts I boogered up and hes hooked me up

I may have to do that I was trying to save a couple of dollars. I'm going to give this paint a couple of days and see what happens.

Thanks for all the comments! This is its newest form. The body is still rough, but shiny. :D It is closer to being dry than it ever has been after sitting in the sun all day with enamel paint. I set it in the sun for 4 hours with the lacquer paint that was two days old but it was still sticky. I hate to buy a new cab. I really liked the idea of a junkyard build. We'll see what happens.

IMG_0421.jpg.c72189b01898577394a10f0bfbe6ed72.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg.efa7c7e779df0f68c7a9bd70cea37765.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg.a9776193550a802e656dd0f6ad02e76e.jpg

Here is the other cab. Every spot that you see was a bubble.

IMG_0419.jpg.8586a51ea24fa4c42526cbf28c5fc413.jpg

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Oh, the things we build....sorry to hear of the paint problems, when u get it rite should be a fun build. ive been kicking this around for a yr or so with a topkick, local farm supply has a couple of em. But went another direction. Hope it turns out, look forward to the finish.

Thanks everyone!!

I think I've gotten the paint to dry and even some dullcoat.

I also worked on the other cab too. I soaked all the soft craters with super glue and let it dry. I use Tamiya putty to do body work. It turned out better than I expected, although it developed a hairline crack in the body work on the nose after the paint dried. The yellow cab is the green cab pictured before that was full of craters.

IMG_0424.thumb.jpg.7934635d09c0e83d3118614f3f76503b.jpg

IMG_0426.thumb.jpg.87b67c81c2eeaa7841d07ed69808c56f.jpg

Well I'm pretty much at the end of my rope with these cabs. I don't think that I'm going to be happy with neither. The red one was dry, but the swirl marks began to "ghost" in the problem area which was mostly the driver's door. After it began to ghost it got soft again. I scraped to the paint off of the door to find the resin soft and flaking off. I think that the putty in the other cab will continue to crack because it is pretty thick as you can see in the crater pictures. These cabs are currently unavailable from Dave right now until he can make new molds.

So here you can see the swirly green resin after the paint came off. Notice the lower part of the door is fine with the primer still bonded.

IMG_0435.jpg.8ec3d5968fc677f60bb5960ddb42de47.jpg

In other news the spreader bed is coming together. So whatever kind of cab that I have to use, I'm planning to make a spreader.

IMG_0437.jpg.6e2a8c3fbdbade4bc70751aeda19d7df.jpg

If anyone has a spare GMC 9500 cab or even a C70 cab that they're willing to part with, let me know.

Thanks,

Brian