Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are these?

The dark one is a mashup of a '62 Corvette (front half of body, custom rear window turned windscreen), '57 T-Bird (rear half, its rear window could be that windscreen too), and a Double Dragster (two of the three engines).  The other car is an AMT (produced by MPC) Car Craft Dream Rod.  It was later modified into the Tiger Shark, which was recently reissued and could provide a lot of parts to rebuild this one.

13 minutes ago, Mark said:

The dark one is a mashup of a '62 Corvette (front half of body, custom rear window turned windscreen), '57 T-Bird (rear half, its rear window could be that windscreen too), and a Double Dragster (two of the three engines).  The other car is an AMT (produced by MPC) Car Craft Dream Rod.  It was later modified into the Tiger Shark, which was recently reissued and could provide a lot of parts to rebuild this one.

No more calls, please, we have a winner! B)

That vette-a-bird streamliner is pretty creative! Gotta love how the engines are potvin-blown  (with carbs) AND fuel injected. Heheh. Somebody pulled out at all the stops, thread for wiring and everything. I bet that model was built in about '64 or so!

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Interesting, ambitious model. Lotsa plumbing and induction and other stuff going on there that has no basis in reality and couldn't actually work, but still a cool thing in its own way.  B)

Love the gas tanks on weird angles.  

I've always loved to find these old classics, and wouldn't be surprised if someone remembered it from a contest or a magazine.

NEATO! 3 GAS PEDALS!!! & the last two engines aren't hitched to anything, so they must be along for the ride just to provide extra noise!!! :)

The black one has a definite "Fury Road" vibe to it when you take the body off.  

You didn't ask, but I'll say it anyway: don't touch a thing on that black one! The black one is pure Folk Art right there!!!

Edited by CapSat 6

Isn't this the cool thing about our hobby, as a kid, you can built practically anything and it's  ok. I remember building stuff like this growing up and had a lot of fun doing it. Didn't need video games (they were barely invented yet), cable tv was aways off yet. Yea, some of my builds didn't make much sense,  I rarely used drive shafts, just stuck a huge,  honkin' engine with a blower on it in the engine bay and away I went to the races, lol. Wish I left some of those early builds alone, most got tore apart and added to the parts stash, others just were destroyed. Ahhh.... simpler times.

Jeff 

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Interesting, ambitious model. Lotsa plumbing and induction and other stuff going on there that has no basis in reality and couldn't actually work, but still a cool thing in its own way.  B)

And when you look at it, it's not THAT far removed from some of the stuff being built at the time by pioneers such as Mickey Thompson, Tommy Ivo, etc. :blink: