Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will we ever see the Monogram S-10 again?

Jim H.

On 11/11/2020 at 12:18 PM, Jonathan said:

think I may have this piece.  Years ago, I picked up an early S-10 grill off of eBay - maybe part of some package deal.  It has some pinholes, but I think it's passable.  Lemme see if I can dig it up. :)

Anybody know who made this early S10 grille (grill)? 

s1-bumper2.jpg

s10bumper1.jpg

Edited by Jonathan

On 11/11/2020 at 8:52 AM, Casey said:

Perry's Resin once offered an early first gen Chevy S-10 grille which was very nicely done decent. 

Here is the Perry's Resin 1G S-10 grille and filler piece:

1784339086_PXL_20201113_1423449242.jpg.de6ae1f0a1620a062343834e2e8746ae.jpg

1592502100_PXL_20201113_1422585302.jpg.2029ca9830ab85e442f96f81caefbd5c.jpg

Edited by Casey

5 hours ago, Jonathan said:

I suppose the Syclone was really just an all wheel drive S-10.  :)

The Syclone and Typhoon were GMC's foray into performance vehicles. The Syclone had a very low load capacity and was designed to be the type of truck you hauled a set of golf clubs in. 

I am bothered by the fact that Chevy never offered an AWD S-10 and the components in the kit make it hard to represent a 4wd version without some work. Add in the turbo and it's really offputting. I will make mine as close to the 1:1 trucks I owned and go from there.

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

The Syclone and Typhoon were GMC's foray into performance vehicles. The Syclone had a very low load capacity and was designed to be the type of truck you hauled a set of golf clubs in. 

I am bothered by the fact that Chevy never offered an AWD S-10 and the components in the kit make it hard to represent a 4wd version without some work. Add in the turbo and it's really offputting. I will make mine as close to the 1:1 trucks I owned and go from there.

Sounds like the chassis and engine are based on the old GMC Typhoon AWD kit. Not all bad but like you said it's not an S-10. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

Sounds like the chassis and engine are based on the old GMC Typhoon AWD kit. Not all bad but like you said it's not an S-10. 

The original kit has always been based on the Syclone (the Typhoon was the Blazer/Jimmy SUV) as it was the original kit in the series. The 2WD S-10 parts and N/A engine parts were added afterwards, parts of the Syclone running gear are in original S-10 kits, but not the entire AWD drivetrain.

Somehow between the last run of the S-10 in 1999 and the subsequent relocation of the molds into and around China before the Syclone reissue in the 2000s most everything from the S-10 short of the chrome runner has gone AWOL.

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

This is very true.

Can the included 4x4 parts - transfer case, etc. be used to make a 4x4 S10, as opposed to an All-Wheel-Drive (fictional) S-10?

I'm planning to try that myself, I know there will be a bit of work involved since the suspension height will need to be raised. 

The S-10 used one of two NP two-speed transfer cases. The Typhoon and Syclone used two different BW single speed transfer cases. I assume that they look much different on the outside, but only a diehard S-10 fan or a rivet counter will probably care.

Looks like the biggest visual difference is the BW1372 (Syclone) has a longer section to the rear shaft along with angular bracing, while the NP231 (manual shift) has a shorter rear and no angular bracing. It actually looks like if you switch the front and rear outputs to the opposite sides, and remove the angular bracing, you could get pretty close.

TRANSFER CASE - BW1372 & BW4472 - Transmission Parts Distributors

NP231_TCCRY011.jpg

Edited by Jordan White

And now as I have found two copies of the older issue of this kit (with the red S10 on box top), they reissued it. Well, that's just my luck.:P

I had one of these in 1:1 scale for five years and just sold it away last week. Mine had an Iron Duke and 5 speed, so I'll need to source one of those engines from somewhere and start building...

1 hour ago, W-409 said:

And now as I have found two copies of the older issue of this kit (with the red S10 on box top), they reissued it. Well, that's just my luck.:P

I had one of these in 1:1 scale for five years and just sold it away last week. Mine had an Iron Duke and 5 speed, so I'll need to source one of those engines from somewhere and start building...

If you want the 2wd version, then it’s good you found those kits since the recent release only has the AWD Syclone parts.

9 hours ago, Wylde said:

I have been looking for the 1996 S10 sportside bed. I have 3 kits, all fleetside but I want to make at least 1 sportside. Anyone?

AMT released a Styleside 2nd gen S-series kit kit, so check the usual online resellers or post here on the forum in the Wanted section.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:11 PM, Jordan White said:

If you want the 2wd version, then it’s good you found those kits since the recent release only has the AWD Syclone parts.

You're correct on that. No need to search through parts boxes for stock-ish front suspension that could be modified to work on one of these.:P

the stock 2wd suspension could be sourced from a G-body kit; Monte Carlo/GNX revellogram El Camino or the newly released Oldsmobiles, just like the real trucks were,  for minimal fuss

Edited by WGaree
forgot a source

On 11/26/2020 at 2:32 PM, W-409 said:

Mine had an Iron Duke and 5 speed, so I'll need to source one of those engines from somewhere and start building...

MPC Pontiac Fiero kits (the early ones, at least) had an Iron Duke engine.  As I understand, the transverse (Fiero/X-car) version had a different block from the inline engine cars, so some rework is in order.  I'd assume all of the external items (manifolds, pulleys) will need work too.