Model Cars Magazine Forum

Saw “Ford vs. Ferrari”

ToyLvr

Loved the movie!

Even if you’re not a racing fan, lots of fun with all of the “eye candy” in the background with the cars from the 50s-60s.

Recommend that you see this one on the “big screen” to get the full effect.

Here’s the GT-40s from my “Matchbox” collection. About as close to a real GT-40 as I’ll ever get?

3049B77D-AB88-447C-AD74-A3CC28ED157E.jpeg

C1FA056B-A5B2-420A-9AA9-A928C3E2EBD1.jpeg

8E1A60CE-775E-40B8-806D-E4700EB02D20.jpeg

4711E9CD-90C4-4E9B-B33C-278137324D96.jpeg

Edited by ToyLvr
Added photos

I'm not a fan of movie theaters, but I'll make an exception for this one! Having been just a little kid when all of this was going on, it'll be neat to see all those cars in the street scenes which were a part of my landscape back then. I saw VERY few Cobras as a kid-----in fact I can think of only a gold one (small block) that ran around town. I have no idea who owned it and I didn't know what it was till years later.

Maybe I'll make a point of it next weekend........certainly BEFORE the Christmas rush!

13 hours ago, Lizard Racing said:

Just got back from the movie.  A few factual errors (speedometer in a race car?), but the general public would not notice.  Really good flick.  

The cars where intended to be based on production sports cars and would have included speedos so that would be historically accurate.

photo2-vi.png?1573908855Image result for ford gt40 mk2 dash

Edited by afx

Disclaimer: I'll admit I am bias. A lot of the story is kinda told through the eyes of Ken Miles son. I'm about the same age as he. Dad was not a racer but head of Valvoline racing 1960-70. And like Miles' son I tagged along to many a race. We lived in So Cal, I went to many of the places in the film.So take it for what it is........

The film is lots of fun start to finish. Most of us know the overall story but cool to see it played out on screen. For the vast majority they got it right. Yes....if a race car spins there will be fire. That's what Hollywood figures the audiences need. Not a deal breaker. They did NOT have to add any Hollywood drama to the racing, at night, in the rain at Le Mans.....these guys had guts! I'll not give any real spoilers......I will say the trailer is a little misleading which is good as there are a few surprises.Bale looks like Miles and becomes him. Damon is good, but not as good.....maybe because we know Shelby better and he was a tough one to play. Everyone else is good in the film.....I'd like to know if some of the corporate bad guys were really that 'bad' (can't use the words I'd like!!). I'll go again before buying it on BR to sit and freeze frame it.

Little things I didn't like:
Daytona was really Fontana with safer barriers, digital scoring pylon and corp suites above pit road. The big billboards around the outside.....lots of wrong details. 90% of folks will never know.......but why not go to Daytona???
Star Wars speeder sounds added to the GT40 sounds. Again....what Hollywood thinks we need. I've ridden in a big block mid engine car....it ain't a Speeder.
Some cars were not correct......I'll not say more less I spoil......but they could just as easy made them correct....why not???

In the end A+
Thanks

20 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Disclaimer: I'll admit I am bias. A lot of the story is kinda told through the eyes of Ken Miles son. I'm about the same age as he. Dad was not a racer but head of Valvoline racing 1960-70. And like Miles' son I tagged along to many a race. We lived in So Cal, I went to many of the places in the film.So take it for what it is........

The film is lots of fun start to finish. Most of us know the overall story but cool to see it played out on screen. For the vast majority they got it right. Yes....if a race car spins there will be fire. That's what Hollywood figures the audiences need. Not a deal breaker. They did NOT have to add any Hollywood drama to the racing, at night, in the rain at Le Mans.....these guys had guts! I'll not give any real spoilers......I will say the trailer is a little misleading which is good as there are a few surprises.Bale looks like Miles and becomes him. Damon is good, but not as good.....maybe because we know Shelby better and he was a tough one to play. Everyone else is good in the film.....I'd like to know if some of the corporate bad guys were really that 'bad' (can't use the words I'd like!!). I'll go again before buying it on BR to sit and freeze frame it.

Little things I didn't like:
Daytona was really Fontana with safer barriers, digital scoring pylon and corp suites above pit road. The big billboards around the outside.....lots of wrong details. 90% of folks will never know.......but why not go to Daytona???
Star Wars speeder sounds added to the GT40 sounds. Again....what Hollywood thinks we need. I've ridden in a big block mid engine car....it ain't a Speeder.
Some cars were not correct......I'll not say more less I spoil......but they could just as easy made them correct....why not???

In the end A+
Thanks

No doubt the budget was pretty big and yes ideally they would have gone to Daytona but that's the challenge of doing a move recreating events at a specific place and time, unlike SciFi where you do just about anything you want except breathe in outer space without oxygen.  I liked the movie and yes the "car" use in one of the last scenes wasn't close to accurate but I'm sure they figured 99% of people would not notice or care.

25 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

No doubt the budget was pretty big and yes ideally they would have gone to Daytona but that's the challenge of doing a move recreating events at a specific place and time, unlike SciFi where you do just about anything you want except breathe in outer space without oxygen.  I liked the movie and yes the "car" use in one of the last scenes wasn't close to accurate but I'm sure they figured 99% of people would not notice or care.

But as you too noticed the 'wrong' car it was not just me. Everyone complains of CGI, I not a fan either, but wish they had done small things like CGI the billboards around the turns at Fontana away to give a little better look. Fake the J car too.......

Still a great film I'll see again. Thx

I just saw this movie this afternoon with my wife and cousin and really liked it. It's "entertainment." I'll be buying the DVD in a few months when it is released. I may have seen Ken Miles at Meadowdale back in the 60's, not sure as I'll have to check my 8mm movies and my computer to see if he raced there at the time. I also got to talk to Dan Gurney back in '67 at Watkins Glen New York for the Grand Prix of the United States.