Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2020

Luc Janssens

On 11/19/2019 at 8:10 PM, BVC500 said:

The 750il isn't that bad to build, though the front sit a little high. I also built the 3 series, which is fine too if you shave the back of the separate headlight buckets that then allows the bumper and lenses to sit closer to the body. The Tamiya instructions for the 8 and 3 series also had extra constructive tips that the Revell instructions did not.

If possible and have them handy, could you post pics or scans of these instructions? Thanks!

On 11/28/2019 at 11:55 PM, the other Mike S. said:

Well, I was thinking more of having all the Vettes released together if they ever did a 1/8th scale C8.  The '65 Corvette and the XKE have been reissued a few times, I believe.

Those two have been released quite a few times. I've never seen the C3 been released again, nor the Camaro and Firebird. From what I heard it had to do with copyrights, but since the '65 is also GM, I find that weird.

I don't think we'll ever going to see a new 1/8 modelkit from the plastic manufacturers, the costs are too high with a too little demand. Even though the 1/12 Mustang did sell ok, it wasn't the succes Revell expected from it.
Appearantly, Revell is more interested in the 1/16th scale, as they have now produced many new models in that scale.

(to be clear; I never would say no to a new 1/8 plastic kit! The Superbird is my all-time favourite for a 1/8th scale kit)

6 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

I don't think we'll ever going to see a new 1/8 modelkit from the plastic manufacturers, the costs are too high with a too little demand.

When Model King did a large scale funny car, it took him years to get rid of them all.  Very little demand, no matter how vocal the fans are on the boards.

On 12/1/2019 at 11:23 AM, Tom Geiger said:

When Model King did a large scale funny car, it took him years to get rid of them all.  Very little demand, no matter how vocal the fans are on the boards.

These days, 1/8 and 1/12 kits are a hard sell, and it seems rare that more will come out unless they are older kits that they rerelease. I really think Revell needs to re-release some more of their 1/16 kits, as well as make new ones. They are only slightly larger than the popular 1/18 diecasts, and they still allow for more detailing like the 1/12 and 1/8 kits.

If Revell were to tool up a new 1/16 scale kit they should start with a Porsche 911, Fujimi did a 959 in 1/16 but it appears no one ever did a 1/16 scale 911.

I find it surprising that such an iconic sports car is missing in that scale so therefore Revell wouldn't have any competition, and if they did it right
(high parts count, opening everything) I think it would be a strong seller.

On 12/2/2019 at 6:30 PM, Jordan White said:

These days, 1/8 and 1/12 kits are a hard sell, and it seems rare that more will come out unless they are older kits that they rerelease. I really think Revell needs to re-release some more of their 1/16 kits, as well as make new ones. They are only slightly larger than the popular 1/18 diecasts, and they still allow for more detailing like the 1/12 and 1/8 kits.

Revell has been making new 1/16 scale kits recently. Mostly VW's and Porsche's. My understanding is they are quite well done as well.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:30 AM, Jordan White said:

I agree with you on the 1/8 scale kits, but the 1/12 kits are a different game. They do sell quite good actually. It could be they may not run that well in the States, but in Europe and Asia, they do sell good. Italeri made a new 1/12 Fiat 500 and keeps releasing older 1/12 kits. Tamiya does good business with their 1/12 kits too. The 934 and 935 are good sellers. Fujimi released the Skylines again, Trumpeter is going to release the GT40 and MENG is even going to make their own GT40.

Call me crazy, but I would like to see a 1/12 Mopar of some kind. Ideally, it would be a '68-'70 Charger, based on their excellent 1/25 kits of the same. Right now, Mopars are just about the hottest thing going in the U.S. and elsewhere, so I could see where this could be a good seller.

I built their '69 Camaro and really enjoyed it. I had their '67 Corvette and see where that kit has a lot of potential as well. Still- they were no Mopars...

3 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

I agree with you on the 1/8 scale kits, but the 1/12 kits are a different game. They do sell quite good actually. It could be they may not run that well in the States, but in Europe and Asia, they do sell good. Italeri made a new 1/12 Fiat 500 and keeps releasing older 1/12 kits. Tamiya does good business with their 1/12 kits too. The 934 and 935 are good sellers. Fujimi released the Skylines again, Trumpeter is going to release the GT40 and MENG is even going to make their own GT40.

I bought the Italeri 1/12 Fiat 500 a couple of days ago looks like a good kit. I hope Italeri will keep tooling up new 1/12 cars.

On 12/3/2019 at 3:38 PM, chitownbri said:

If Revell were to tool up a new 1/16 scale kit they should start with a Porsche 911, Fujimi did a 959 in 1/16 but it appears no one ever did a 1/16 scale 911.

I find it surprising that such an iconic sports car is missing in that scale so therefore Revell wouldn't have any competition, and if they did it right
(high parts count, opening everything) I think it would be a strong seller.

I am building the Porsche 356 1:16 right now and it is well done.  The body etc look correct to me.  I wonder why the 911 hasn't been done also.   The kit is not an ez snap kit by any stretch of the imagination btw.  

9 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

True, it may be more locational nowadays. My comment above though doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see more 1/12 kits, I actually have around 14 in my collection.

8 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Call me crazy, but I would like to see a 1/12 Mopar of some kind. Ideally, it would be a '68-'70 Charger, based on their excellent 1/25 kits of the same. Right now, Mopars are just about the hottest thing going in the U.S. and elsewhere, so I could see where this could be a good seller.

I built their '69 Camaro and really enjoyed it. I had their '67 Corvette and see where that kit has a lot of potential as well. Still- they were no Mopars...

I'm on the same page with a 1/12 MOPAR, though I was thinking maybe a '70 Cuda based on their recent kit.

Pocher does a 1/8 scale 993 and an Aventador. Not cheap, rarely seen, even rarer built. Doubt market there really, retailers tie up $$$ and huge shelf space. 

The EZ build Revells seem to be better idea, and far more realistic than Lego stuff. 

On 11/23/2019 at 5:58 PM, 1959scudetto said:

rather boring "new" releases - nothing of interest for me here...

I agree. Over the last few years there has been zero new kits from any manufacture to keep my interest in continuing to buy and build. I'm starting to get that sell my collection itch again. But this time it's stronger than the last time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 3:55 AM, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Rarer.

But not never.

I disagree, the lamborghini Aventador does pop up regurarly on the second hand marketplaces. Some build, some still in box (hoping/speculating on upgoing value, which it doesn't (yet)).

even though the 911 does pop up a few times per year, it is by far not as much seen as the Lamborghini. The Aventador has been sold quite a lot actually, the Huracan would be more rare, but still was sold pretty good and recent.
I would say that the Aventador, Testarossa, F40 and the Mercedes are the most common Pochers popping up.

On the issue of large scale, I wish everyone would settle on just one large scale for all new kit releases, 1/12th would be my preference. All model cars should be 1/24-1/25th, or 1/12th in my opinion.

I do love 1/8th, but it's expensive, and large!

1/16th is good but there's not a great selection of great models available now, I have a lot of them but the detail is disappointing on most, no better than 1/24th, and usually not even as good.

What I love building includes a lot of "kit bashing" but in the larger scales, well, you can't mix 1/18th parts with 1/16th models, or 1/12th with 1/8th, and so on, like you can with 1/24th and 1/25th.

3D printers are making all scale parts available, but those too are quite expensive, I wish there were more kits in the same scale! 

Anyway, I am happy with the stuff that is available, I was just "venting", it's all good, really, Cheers!

IMG_1250re.JPG

1 hour ago, dino246gt said:

On the issue of large scale, I wish everyone would settle on just one large scale for all new kit releases, 1/12th would be my preference. All model cars should be 1/24-1/25th, or 1/12th in my opinion.

I do love 1/8th, but it's expensive, and large!

1/16th is good but there's not a great selection of great models available now, I have a lot of them but the detail is disappointing on most, no better than 1/24th, and usually not even as good.

What I love building includes a lot of "kit bashing" but in the larger scales, well, you can't mix 1/18th parts with 1/16th models, or 1/12th with 1/8th, and so on, like you can with 1/24th and 1/25th.

3D printers are making all scale parts available, but those too are quite expensive, I wish there were more kits in the same scale! 

Anyway, I am happy with the stuff that is available, I was just "venting", it's all good, really, Cheers!

IMG_1250re.JPG

I do like the detail opportunity with the 1/12 and 1/8 scale kits, however I think the 1/16 scale is the perfect blend between ease of detailing and ease of shelf space. That’s not to say that I don’t have my share of 1/12 kits!

I would REALLY like to see this reissued! It's only been kitted once to my knowledge and the prices for it are way out of my budget.  ScaleMates shows this kit as 1/12. IIRC it is 1/8th.

Revell, the Knucklehead again Please.

lachop.jpg

• Xingu locked this topic