Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

O1GQFn.gif

Totally agree with those yellow little men! My eye rejoices at this level of work!

Only minor notice: aren't those exterior door handles  slightly short for hand? Any way they look perfect! I wouldn't have succeeded either if I had tried! 😉

Edited by Sergey

On 1/4/2022 at 9:14 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I haven’t checked in on this one in a little while! WOW!!!!! Francis, you never cease to amaze me! You don’t miss a detail!! This is beyond art or craftsmanship. I don’t think that there is a word to describe this level of excellence. Truly amazing work! I’m looking forward to seeing more of this one!!

Thanks Brian!

I think I've covered most of the details that can be done at this scale (at least what I'm capable of doing) but I still have a few details to do in the engine bay.  I hope to finish it soon... after the paint job...

On 1/5/2022 at 7:01 AM, Straightliner59 said:

The box/bed braces are a perfect touch. They would certainly seem to make sense!

Thanks Daniel, your comments are always appreciated my friend!

On 1/5/2022 at 11:19 AM, Zen said:

Looking great!

Only suggestion I would make is to possibly mount the brackets to the underside of the bed lip for cleaner look. I don't know, just thinking out loud .......

Thanks for your suggestion Zen,  unfortunately, the bed floor is already assembled and the inner walls of the box are rounded in shape, I would have had to modify them at the beginning of the project to be able to mount the attachments.  Thanks for the suggestion though, it would have been a good mounting option too.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:52 PM, Mattilacken said:

Stunning pieces as always Francis! A true labor of love I would say! 

Thanks Anton, I am very happy that you love it!

16 hours ago, charlie libby said:

i am trying to keep my concentration on this. i have a 1/12 1969 camaro thats next and it keeps creeping into my mind. trying to figure out how to make a set of minilite wheels in aluminum or brass and paint them.. hmmmm?

On 1/6/2022 at 3:22 PM, Zippi said:

Those bars on the box look super nice.

Thanks Bob, I do appreciate your comment!

21 hours ago, Sergey said:

O1GQFn.gif

Totally agree with those yellow little men! My eye rejoices at this level of work!

Only minor notice: aren't those exterior door handles  slightly short for hand? Any way they look perfect! I wouldn't have succeeded either if I had tried! 😉

Thanks for you kind words Sergey!  You're right, I had mentioned it myself in my post but they took a while to make and I didn't feel like doing them again (at that time...).  Sometimes you have to convince yourself that it's acceptable and move on, this project is dragging on...😢

16 hours ago, charlie libby said:

i am trying to keep my concentration on this. i have a 1/12 1969 camaro thats next and it keeps creeping into my mind. trying to figure out how to make a set of minilite wheels in aluminum or brass and paint them.. hmmmm?

Those are some nice wheels Charlie!  I've already thought about making some of the same kind (with rounded spokes) but I haven't tried it yet, another future project...  I will be curious to see your technique, you dazzle us with your machining prowess my friend! 😊

36 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Sometimes you have to convince yourself that it's acceptable and move on, this project is dragging on...😢

I agree with you, Francis! Now I learn to convince myself that my faults are  acceptable. Sometimes I succeed, and sometimes I don't (like with Silverado's trim line; I already regretted it).😥

On 1/9/2022 at 12:47 PM, bluestringer said:

Been following this for a while. This is some impressive work. I never even realized scale car modeling could be taken this far. Fantastic. 

Thanks for the kind comments James!

One thing leads to another, we end up being carried away and that's what it gives... The beauty of this hobby is that there is something for everyone, as long as you get satisfaction from it!

I am honored that you seem to appreciate my madness!  More to come... 😊

On 1/11/2022 at 8:42 AM, mustang1989 said:

Been a while since I've been in here but I'm always amazed at the level of detail that you continue to put into this truck. Continuing to look forward to each and every update Frances.

Thanks Joe!  I'm now preparing the body for painting and I hope to show you something different in the next few days (or weeks) if all goes well... 😁

Don't worry, it's not finished yet, I still have some details to do and some other additions to make during the final assembly so you should still have something to look at!

Hello everyone,

This has to be my smallest update yet, just a few pictures to show you the first step of the paint job.  Let's just say that it adds a little bit of color to this long project even if it's not the most flashy...  I promise you that the rest of the body will be more flashy!  The color is called galaxy grey and the roll bar will be painted with the same color.  I have to wait a few days for the paint to fully cure before masking the top and painting the body with the main color.  I expect a complex job because all parts must be painted on top and underneath and inside and outside, so some parts will be painted in 2 steps.  I'm at the most difficult stage of the build (at least for me...) since I prefer by far the fabrication of  parts and the bodywork to the assembly but this is a necessary step to have a finished product... 😓  and one day be able to start another one!

I hope you'll like it, the good thing is that waiting will also give me time to make some more details... 😊

Have a good week, Francis

658_Top_Painted_1.JPG.d58fade2290422c28042e9c9d83b24e4.JPG

659_Top_Painted_2.JPG.8a0e84efc9a42758859c9111e55e6fe5.JPG

On 1/19/2022 at 3:29 AM, Straightliner59 said:

It's getting even more exciting! I'm with you--I'd rather build, than paint!

Thank Daniel, paint is a necessary step and there are many factors to its success that are out of our control, this is what contributes the most to the difficulty of this aspect of a project (at least for me...).

On 1/19/2022 at 3:17 PM, Bainford said:

Titillating

The wait is coming to an end, I hope... 😁

On 1/20/2022 at 4:33 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Well, having seen many of your spectacular creations "in the flesh", I'm not the least worried about what will be a brilliant "finish".

Keep on!

CT 

Thank you for your vote of confidence Claude, the main difference with my previous efforts is the all scratchbuilt body so I hope the finish will be nice enough to accompany the countless hours I put into making all the pieces of this puzzle... 😉

On 1/20/2022 at 5:03 PM, Nazz said:

Another great couple of chapters Francis!  I am going to have mixed emotions when this one is done. I will be happy to see how it turns out, but sad there will be no more to the story.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, It will be strange for me too when the truck will be finished and I won't have anything new to propose to you from this project but as they say, every good thing has an end...  I'm not done with this hobby and I have a lot of kits on my shelves... 😉

17 hours ago, charlie libby said:

paint is always scariest for me. i have no patients , i can never wait for it to cure. i am really excited to see it in color. it is such a pretty truck it will be fun to see it.

I understand you Charlie, like you I have infinite patience for making parts but much less for painting and assembly.... the goal is to cross the finish line with the feeling of having realized our vision!

3 hours ago, Codi said:

So much goodness here Francis.  I was surprised to see you got to some color and can't wait to see what you do with truck.

Best to you sir,  Tim

Thanks for the visit and kin words Tim!

The months are piling up since the very beginning of this project (and I know you understand what I'm talking about...) and I hope to be able to finish it at the end of winter or early next spring.  I have lots of ideas for a new project but I have to keep focused on this one, I am unable to work on two projects at the same time and I bow in admiration for all those who do it successfully!

Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate it!

I have masking tape waiting for me on the corner of my workbench... 😁

Francis

Hi Francis, You know I’m really excited to see that you’re starting your finish work!  But then, I’m really excited to see every phase of this project that you share with us!  What brand/s and type/s of paint/s have you decided to use for your exterior paint job?  Do you have any issues with painting during wintertime there?  Have you considered water base paint?

Always anxious to see what you come up with next.

TCOTT

Hello everyone,

My last update was one of the smallest so far but can I do even less? How low can I go? By posting only one picture!

The wait is finally over, it's green, lime green to be more precise, I hope you won't be too shocked by my choice but there were some reasons behind this choice.  First of all, my uncle's truck (the one that inspired me for this build) was green (Turf Green) but I thought this color was not the best choice for a drag racing vehicle. Secondly, I wanted my red anodized parts to be visible, so I was looking for a nice contrast to make them stand out and finally, I love this color, in fact all high impact colors, I find it gives a performance feel.

Now the painted parts will rest for several days and I'll move on to the finishing when the paint is well cured.  During this time, I will finish making the last missing parts and finish assembling the engine and install it in the chassis.  There are a lot of small parts to make under the hood so you're not done with me yet... 😁

Francis

The big green machine!660_Body_Painted.JPG.c76a13070a0959fd608e97032c6e243e.JPG

On 1/22/2022 at 8:54 PM, foghorn62 said:

Hi Francis, You know I’m really excited to see that you’re starting your finish work!  But then, I’m really excited to see every phase of this project that you share with us!  What brand/s and type/s of paint/s have you decided to use for your exterior paint job?  Do you have any issues with painting during wintertime there?  Have you considered water base paint?

Always anxious to see what you come up with next.

TCOTT

Hi Tim, sorry for taking so long to reply but I was busy working on the body as you can see....  😉

The paint is lacquer based and other than my very dusty basement, I don't really have any more problems painting winter or summer.  I use a mist humidifier to try to keep all that nasty dust down, it's my only defense... 😢

Francis

10 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Well, let me see...

OK, I would bet your next A&W burger at the restaurant across the street from next fall's Quebec model expo that this very color is, indeed, a Mopar bright green of early 70's vintage...

Thinking Dodge Demon...  Sure looks the part, and it will look racy!

CT 

It's pretty close to "Sub Lime", I would say!🙂

13 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Well, let me see...

OK, I would bet your next A&W burger at the restaurant across the street from next fall's Quebec model expo that this very color is, indeed, a Mopar bright green of early 70's vintage...

Thinking Dodge Demon...  Sure looks the part, and it will look racy!

CT 

You are a visionary Claude!

I think this lime green will also make a nice contrast with the beautiful fall leaf colors.  Let's give them time to grow back and I hope to be sitting down with you to take a bite out of a juicy burger... 😁

The green of the Demon is just a little lighter than the D100 by the way. 😉

Francis