Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

1 hour ago, maltsr said:

I'm working on an auction purchase Monogram Deusenberg that unfortunately is missing the top part of the engine, so after a few hours, 12 pieces of styrene and 13 pieces of brass rod I have this - good enough for me!

That engine looks great!  Nice scratchbuilding! 

I did a little assembly work on my Known Survivor build for NNL East - enjoying working with various metals for a change!

5E1AC7E1-6D61-4790-BD42-860C1D13352A.thumb.jpeg.d9ee18489b360ddb559f5237cca29f63.jpeg

Detailing a 1/24 scale Winchester lever-action rifle. For a build I hope I'll finish soon, which needed some vintage weapons.  

After checking dollhouse companies, resin figures, soft plastic cowboys and everything else in the known universe, I came up with one sorta-workable Winchester:  from the Revell 1/24 "Big Game" GMC pickup.  But it's molded into a gun rack and had to be cut away.  It's also very blobular and needs a lot of general sharpening up and fiddly work to look good.

I did find one 1/24 resin figure with a Winchester, a nicely detailed cowboy. But that figure was $25 and I had the Revell rifle already. 

While looking for vintage guns, I did find these nice 1/24 scale white-metal double-barreled shotguns.  They're from a dollhouse company on eBay and come in a package of 2, for about $10.

shotgun.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

9 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Detailing a 1/24 scale Winchester lever-action rifle. For a build I hope I'll finish soon, which needed some vintage weapons.  

After checking dollhouse companies, resin figures, soft plastic cowboys and everything else in the known universe, I came up with one sorta-workable Winchester:  from the Revell 1/24 "Big Game" GMC pickup.  But it's molded into a gun rack and had to be cut away.  It's also very blobular and needs a lot of general sharpening up and fiddly work to look good.

I did find one 1/24 resin figure with a Winchester, a nicely detailed cowboy. But that figure was $25 and I had the Revell rifle already. 

While looking for vintage guns, I did find these nice 1/24 scale white-metal double-barreled shotguns.  They're from a dollhouse company on eBay and come in a package of 2, for about $10.

shotgun.jpg

Replicas & Miniatures Company of Maryland has--or at least used to--a resin package called The Armory with a bunch of 1/25 scale guns. I don't remember what-all's in it or if there's anything you can use, but it might be worth checking out. 

I seem to recall there's at least one pump shotgun in it, maybe. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Replicas & Miniatures Company of Maryland has--or at least used to--a resin package called The Armory with a bunch of 1/25 scale guns. I don't remember what-all's in it or if there's anything you can use, but it might be worth checking out. 

I seem to recall there's at least one pump shotgun in it, maybe. 

Thanks for the tip.  I think I've seen that set and it was mostly guns from the Gangbuster kits and police cars.  I'm looking for stuff from the early 20th century.

If anybody else needs a 1/24 scale vintage machine gun, these Lewis guns from Gaspatch are great.  They're resin and come in a pack of 2 with 8 ammo drums (4 regular and 4 aircraft type with a carrying handle).  The ammo drums are even detailed on both sides, so the individual rounds are visible on the bottom of the drum. You can find them on eBay, in several different scales if you don't need 1/24 scale.

lewis-15.jpg

Got one '63 Buick wheelcover modified to the Riviera version and sank it in the purple pond to dechrome it and get it ready to cast.

After that, I started experimenting with some acrylic paint to weather the '65 Nova chassis. I'll discuss the result of that under Questions and Answers...

Cool 41!  I may put mine in my queue!  

I’m working on my 50 Chevy pickup truck daily. Yesterday afternoon I weathered the chassis and hood. I put the decals on the doors, added setting solution and put the  body aside overnight. 

I should be able to assemble chassis and weather the body and bed today.

Nothing worth posting photos of, but I've been spending a considerable amount of time working on re-building the interior on my '64 Pontiac Grand Prix project.

And when I get tired of that, I spend time re-scribing virtually every piece of faintly molded trim on the body!

Very monotonous, but it will help a great deal when it comes time to foil.

Steve 

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I spend time re-scribing virtually every piece of faintly molded trim on the body!

Very monotonous, but it will help a great deal when it comes time to foil.

I heard that! I've spent many, MANY hours of my life doing the same thing. Also, door lines, and otherwise unrepresented body panel seams. B)

10 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I heard that! I've spent many, MANY hours of my life doing the same thing. Also, door lines, and otherwise unrepresented body panel seams. B)

I just posted a tutorial in the "tips and Tutorials" section describing how I've been re-vamping interior door panels.

I use that same basic technique as a rule on the body trim and panel lines.

Takes some time and effort, but the results are generally well worth it.

Steve