Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any word on Revell or specifically the Model A Coupe?

An all new E Type?    Great!  It was high time that Revell retooled this iconic car. That old tired out from the sixties was well below par for many a year. Will it be 1/24 as opposed to the old kit in 1/25? Hopefully 1/24 by Reve!l Germany in line with their other classics I  that scale.

Regarding the 29 roadster, I’m so glad they decided to recreated this tooling after the original molds were destroyed. I’m definitely going to buy a case of these!

My one and only disappointment is given their need to completely recreate the tooling, I wish they would have taken the opportunity and added a quick-change rear end as that was an often expressed comment regarding the original release. Otherwise I’m very excited about this release.

I've read that Roger Harney from Revell-o-gram, specifically avoided using a Hallibrand Quick Change rear axle in the kit. He was trying to have a "Modern" version of the car, as it would be if built now. The rear end choice on the model was made with due thought and care.

We may not all agree with the choice, but it was deliberate.

On 2/1/2020 at 10:00 AM, SfanGoch said:

Psst......

image.png.ec916560b76c617a1a454e19cc73b7b2.png

I hate to bring this up, but when look at the E-type, I can't help but see a greenhouse that is too small. Needs to be taller, and longer towards the back.

Anyone else see that?

2 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

I hate to bring this up, but when look at the E-type, I can't help but see a greenhouse that is too small. Needs to be taller, and longer towards the back.

Anyone else see that?

It's my understanding that the kit is the early coupe and not the later 2+2 with the higher roofline and more bulbous rear end.

Early coupe

1000x.jpeg.315542888f1cf71f8586a486dd47ef5c.jpeg

2+2

jaguar-e-type-series-2.thumb.jpg.ffa103a5813d8c3b962560b01fb671d7.jpg

3 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

Anyone else see that?

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

It's my understanding that the kit is the early coupe and not the later 2+2 with the higher roofline and more bulbous rear end.

Early coupe

1000x.jpeg.315542888f1cf71f8586a486dd47ef5c.jpeg

2+2

jaguar-e-type-series-2.thumb.jpg.ffa103a5813d8c3b962560b01fb671d7.jpg

I clipped these from a video that included the model.  It looks reasonably close to the 2 seater coupe given its current state.

607074053_Annotation2020-02-02222752.jpg.8bd85712d4ea0537f89a66f2b4c9d47d.jpg1130299729_Annotation2020-02-02222803.jpg.b04a352cf086f2212bc4d3de83e483d3.jpg1627188114_RevellXKE.jpg.5d35ec469971798190eb2db43f893f12.jpg

The E Type looks good. The earlier fouled were a bit sleeker before they wanted to put 4 seats in. Revell now have the opportunity to make a toaster as well one hopes. I have the STMS white metal roadster kit in 1/24 scale but might now wait and see if Revell do one to go with their coupe.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:38 PM, designkat said:

Regarding the 29 roadster, I’m so glad they decided to recreated this tooling after the original molds were destroyed. I’m definitely going to buy a case of these!

My one and only disappointment is given their need to completely recreate the tooling, I wish they would have taken the opportunity and added a quick-change rear end as that was an often expressed comment regarding the original release. Otherwise I’m very excited about this release.

How do you know they completely recreated the tooling? I have not heard that anywhere else. My understanding is they re-tooled (or repaired) the trees that were common to both kits. That's why neither one could be released until now.

On 1/31/2020 at 4:35 PM, gwolf said:

Any word on Revell as a company or specifically the Model A Coupe kit? Thanks!

Back to Greg's original question....the '29A Roadster kit and '30A Five Window Coupe kit both share the same tool set. 

The '29A Roadster is just a few weeks away from the hobby store shelves (the other model magazine posted a video review of the kit last week). 

So....the tool set has either been repaired or restored (depending on whose version of the production interruption you chose to believe).  Thus, this would suggest to me that the '30 5W Coupe kit is ready to run when Revell decides to do so .  

IIRC there was about a one year gap between the original '29A Roadster and '30A Five Window Coupe production starts, so if the same timing applies this time that would suggest that the 5W Coupe would be produced starting about this time next year (early 2021).  

Like many of you, I am sure, i would have much preferred to see the '30A Coupe go down the molding line first this time, not the Roadster, but we are where we are.  At least we seem to have some implied level of certainty now that we will see the '30A Coupe eventually return to production, albeit later than we would like.  That's a much better outlook than before!

Best...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

On 2/3/2020 at 8:56 PM, Jon Cole said:

Anyone else see that?

On 2/3/2020 at 11:09 PM, Fat Brian said:

Frankly, I see proportion and line issues on both the red box-art car and the prototype-in-white. And they do not appear to me to be the same, either.

I'm wondering now if someone in the design chain isn't sufficiently familiar with the real cars to realize there are two very different body shells, and has attempted to split-the-difference between conflicting data interpolated from photographs, rather than actually measuring one car.

Though it's admittedly difficult to draw firm conclusions from the photos we have here, the roofline and window shapes appear to me to be different on the box-art car and what the white prototype represents. And neither of them look quite right for the early low-roofline car, which is the one preferred by just about everyone with any design sense. The A-pillars on the white car are heavier than they should be, too.  

We'll hope the white-model wheels are very early pre-production versions as well. Several manufacturers...years ago...demonstrated that it's quite possible to make very nice injection-molded wire wheels. Hopefully Revell will benefit from looking at how it was done in the past. The tires are another issue. The aspect ratio is too short, and they're way too square-shouldered for anything that would have been on the real cars in-period.

During the course of my work, I see E-types constantly, literally, so I'm kinda familiar with the way they look from every conceivable angle.

Revell USA demonstrated their then-ability to hit the shapes and curves pretty much dead on with their 3D-scanned Foose Caddy and Ford pickup. One would hope the reorganized Revell Europe has maintained that capability.

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Back to Greg's original question....the '29A Roadster kit and '30A Five Window Coupe kit both share the same tool set. 

The '29A Roadster is just a few weeks away from the hobby store shelves (the other model magazine posted a video review of the kit last week). 

So....the tool set has either been repaired or restored (depending on whose version of the production interruption you chose to believe).  Thus, this would suggest to me that the '30 5W Coupe kit is ready to run when Revell decides to do so .  

IIRC there was about a one year gap between the original '29A Roadster and '30A Five Window Coupe production starts, so if the same timing applies this time that would suggest that the 5W Coupe would be produced starting about this time next year (early 2021).  

Like many of you, I am sure, i would have much preferred to see the '30A Coupe go down the molding line first this time, not the Roadster, but we are where we are.  At least we seem to have some implied level of certainty now that we will see the '30A Coupe eventually return to production, albeit later than we would like.  That's a much better outlook than before!

Best...TIM 

I asked Ed Sexton about the coupe specifically at the last NNL East. He answered without hesitation that it will be back. No date given however.

2 hours ago, Modlguy said:

I asked Ed Sexton about the coupe specifically at the last NNL East. He answered without hesitation that it will be back. No date given however.

Which is smart business. ?

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I would have much preferred to see the '30A Coupe go down the molding line first this time, not the Roadster, but we are where we are.

As is this.

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Best...TIM 

Thanks Tim!

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Frankly, I see proportion and line issues on both the red box-art car and the prototype-in-white. And they do not appear to me to be the same, either.

I'm wondering now if someone in the design chain isn't sufficiently familiar with the real cars to realize there are two very different body shells, and has attempted to split-the-difference between conflicting data interpolated from photographs, rather than actually measuring one car.

Though it's admittedly difficult to draw firm conclusions from the photos we have here, the roofline and window shapes appear to me to be different on the box-art car and what the white prototype represents. And neither of them look quite right for the early low-roofline car, which is the one preferred by just about everyone with any design sense. The A-pillars on the white car are heavier than they should be, too.  

We'll hope the white-model wheels are very early pre-production versions as well. Several manufacturers...years ago...demonstrated that it's quite possible to make very nice injection-molded wire wheels. Hopefully Revell will benefit from looking at how it was done in the past. The tires are another issue. The aspect ratio is too short, and they're way too square-shouldered for anything that would have been on the real cars in-period.

During the course of my work, I see E-types constantly, literally, so I'm kinda familiar with the way they look from every conceivable angle.

Revell USA demonstrated their then-ability to hit the shapes and curves pretty much dead on with their 3D-scanned Foose Caddy and Ford pickup. One would hope the reorganized Revell Europe has maintained that capability.

I'm far from an e-type expert but I agree the box art car looks off, it's like a mashup of the 2+2 roofline and rear quarter window with the coupe doors. Until there are better pics of the kit I'm withholding judgment there due to inexperience with the subject matter. There is definitely room for improvement in the areas you mentioned though.