Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24th scale gilligan's island diorama

michelle

the ss minnow is 3d printed and is 19 inches long  i added some extra details  of a life ring and backup interior ship wheel a fog horn  and some broken  hull ribbing  behind the  bigger holes of the boat and some glassin the windows and the main cabins roof ribbing    i used a mix of  light powdery sand from the gulf coast of florida  and darker more gritty sand from the atlantic  coast of florida that two different relatives brought home for me  in empty  water bottles i only had  3 1/24th scale figures  i modified 2 of them to make them into gilligan and skipper since the figures outfits did not fully match  thier clothes and i made thier hats from air dry clay  so i mimiced a scene from a episode with lots of flashbacks to the castaways first day on the island  i also made  some of the luggage and table  from legos and i made the transmiter and the transistor radio from peices  of plastic same with the  legs of the table the rock the professor is sitting on came from the road behind my house  at the end of my driveway 

i hand painted  the backdrop  on a large peice of ghostline foam board 

IMG_5990.JPG

IMG_5991.JPG

IMG_5992.JPG

IMG_5998.JPG

IMG_5999.JPG

IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_6002.JPG

IMG_6021.PNG

1:24 scale is quite a nice scale in which to work, Michelle........ but of course, the diorama takes up lots more space than the same diorama in 1:72 scale.

The 3D-printed SS Minnow boat is a large model at 19 inches in length, and it is very realistic too. Nice work you've done on the 1:24 figures, which are so much easier to work on than say 1:43 scale........ the two dioramas that I am currently working on, are both in 1:43 scale, but my previous diorama was in 1:24 scale, and there are some really good figures available..... such as those from ICM, which is a Ukraine company, and they are easily assembled from around 12 pieces.

David

1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

1:24 scale is quite a nice scale in which to work, Michelle........ but of course, the diorama takes up lots more space than the same diorama in 1:72 scale.

The 3D-printed SS Minnow boat is a large model at 19 inches in length, and it is very realistic too. Nice work you've done on the 1:24 figures, which are so much easier to work on than say 1:43 scale........ the two dioramas that I am currently working on, are both in 1:43 scale, but my previous diorama was in 1:24 scale, and there are some really good figures available..... such as those from ICM, which is a Ukraine company, and they are easily assembled from around 12 pieces.

David

thank you it was alot of fun   and very cool 

10 hours ago, peteski said:

Gilligan's Island times two!  I like this diorama too!  But it can't be the first episode - it is in color!  ;)

thanks you   no but all the first season episodes were edited into color at one point they aired on tv  i think i remember  reading it was around the time Turner bought the franchise   in late 80's or early 90's and only for a short time in the mid 90's -early 2000's did they air them  also when they were filmed everything was in color they just used black and white camera and film  since tv in the day when it originally came out were only black and white no  the colore tv did not come out till the around the time the second season was begining to film 

Edited by michelle

8 hours ago, michelle said:

thanks you   no but all the first season episodes were edited into color at one point they aired on tv  i think i remember  reading it was around the time Turner bought the franchise   in late 80's or early 90's and only for a short time in the mid 90's -early 2000's did they air them  also when they were filmed everything was in color they just used black and white camera and film  since tv in the day when it originally came out were only black and white no  the colore tv did not come out till the around the time the second season was begining to film 

Thanks Michelle - I know that.  I was just having some fun.  But a year or two ago I have seem some first season episodes un-colorized (B/W) on MeTV.  I can also just turn down color saturation on my TV and watch the colorized episodes in their original B/W format.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a clever idea, Michelle, and you've done a pretty good job. I should have looked at this five months ago! Like one person wrote, you might take more photos of it outdoors without the harsh shadows and post them here, too. That show has a lot of possibilties for more scratchbuilding. I think that there was even a sort-of vehicle that was probably made of bamboo. Keep up the good work!

On 6/28/2020 at 10:20 PM, chepp said:

That's a clever idea, Michelle, and you've done a pretty good job. I should have looked at this five months ago! Like one person wrote, you might take more photos of it outdoors without the harsh shadows and post them here, too. That show has a lot of possibilties for more scratchbuilding. I think that there was even a sort-of vehicle that was probably made of bamboo. Keep up the good work!

thank you  and yes the professor made a  bamboo,and thatched reed  peddle powered car   that  appeared in a few of the episodes of the final season of the series  

On 6/28/2020 at 4:35 PM, Bills72sj said:

Great job on the work you have done. May I suggest softening the lighting or taking pics outdoors. The shadows take away from the scene you are creating.

i might  take it outside for pics  when it gets cooler outside  

Edited by michelle

On 7/16/2020 at 11:33 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

How did I missed this earlier.  Looks great and brings back memories. 

We had a black and White TV for a long time in the 70's, as a young kid I didn't understand it was the TV and not the Show. LOL 

thank you 
the first season of the show was black and white  while seasons 2-3 were in color