Model Cars Magazine Forum

What wagon is Round 2 alluding to? Which Station Wagon would you like to see a model kit of?

Round 2 has mentioned that they are working on releasing a station wagon kit. There is much speculation as to which one it might be. It does look like some artwork has been posted showing a '66 or '67 Nova wagon- could that be it? Or could it be a re-release of their '65 Chevelle wagon? What do you think it will be, or, if further info is available, what will it be?  

We'll make the topic of this post a little more broad- also, which wagon(s) would YOU like to see offered as kits, regardless of commercial viability?   

Wagons are popular right now- they have become a thing unto themselves in the 1:1 auto hobby. Up until recently, they were often overlooked, parted out, beat to nothing, or demolition-derbied out of existence, but now, they're cool, and I think they will stay that way.  

Myself, I'm all in for a new kit of a '63-'65 Mopar wagon. I think there are a lot of possibilities for multiple versions, and I think those wagons were more or less the same from the cowl back, so offering different makes/models/years within that series might be a matter of tooling up different interior bits and front ends for them (although that would still necessitate new body sides, of course). Moebius might be the natural match for such a project, but then again, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility for another kit manufacturer to take up such a project.

Also, I think an Olds Vista Cruiser would be very nice. That would be my close second in regards to "new wagons I would like to see".  

Super Stock / Drag cars, street toys, family trucksters, police, beaters and tow vehicles are among the possibilities for kits such as these (any wagons, really).   

I've been actively hunting a decent wagon for a couple of years now. Something 70s, maybe 80s. They're either too far gone to be worth saving, or they're show queens. Either way, people are asking dumb money for them.

As for kits, I'd want the same thing. 1975-78 Plymouth Fury, Ford Gran Torino, Mercury Cougar Villager, Ford Town & Country, etc.

If anyone has a lead on a complete wagon that is in Canada, or maybe the PNW, let me know. :)

I don't think it will be another '65 Chevelle wagon, in the live event on Friday it seemed that it would be something not seen for a while or new. They made  a craftsman 1960 Chevy wagon , 1963 Chevy II/Nova Wagon, the '62 Buick Special Wagon, They also made a '64 Chevelle Wagon.  I would be happy to see any of these brought back. 

8 minutes ago, larman said:

I don't think it will be another '65 Chevelle wagon, in the live event on Friday it seemed that it would be something not seen for a while or new. They made  a craftsman 1960 Chevy wagon , 1963 Chevy II/Nova Wagon, the '62 Buick Special Wagon, They also made a '64 Chevelle Wagon.  I would be happy to see any of these brought back. 

:) this is a lot of fuel for speculation. Any of these would be welcome. In the Round 2 thread, it's been said that the '63 Chevy II wagon would be tough to bring back, as the body has been modified pretty radically (door lines wiped, etc.) to create the Boss Wagon many years ago, and that the '64 Chevelle essentially became the '65 Chevelle.

If I had to bet, it would either be on a retool of the '65 Chevelle to 2-door / 300 trim, or perhaps that '67 Chevy II that was hinted at.   

49 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I've been actively hunting a decent wagon for a couple of years now. Something 70s, maybe 80s. They're either too far gone to be worth saving, or they're show queens. Either way, people are asking dumb money for them.

As for kits, I'd want the same thing. 1975-78 Plymouth Fury, Ford Gran Torino, Mercury Cougar Villager, Ford Town & Country, etc.

If anyone has a lead on a complete wagon that is in Canada, or maybe the PNW, let me know. :)

It seems like super-stupid money is being asked for anything of that vintage these days. I'm sure something will eventually come up, they do seem to be out there. 

This makes me want to get back to my '71 Coronet Wagon project that I started way back when (it will eventually end up becoming the Rod Shop Dodge wagon- one of my all time favorites). I'm using most of a Joker Goon Car Monaco 4-door, with the front end from a junker body '74 Charger. I did see a nice build of a later Monaco wagon at the NNL East some years back, the builder used the roof section from a Tamiya Jeep Grand Cherokee for the rear roof section.       

35 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

How about a Tri-Five Chevy Twodoor, stock, panel, Jr. Stocker . . .

all kinds of possibilities.

?

Personally, my favorite would be the '57 Sedan Delivery, but it would still be neat if they tooled up new side panels for the '55 Nomad. 

I know it's been said that it's difficult to tool up new parts for variants of existing tools, but making a new '57 Nomad/ Sedan Delivery from AMT's excellent new '57 Coupe tool would be awesome.

18 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

To be realistic, I suspect it will be an existing wagon tool reissued with Coca-Cola decals. Maybe the Nomad, Vega dragster, ‘65 Chevelle or ‘79 Pinto.  That would fit the Round 2 script—reissue existing tools w Coca-Cola decals and box art.  

Probably true. We haven't seen the '55 Nomad in awhile, have we?

AMT also made a '61 Special wagon, which I presume was then modified into the '62.

A '57 Nomad or '64-'65 Chevelle 300 would probably be a best seller since Chevies tend to be good selling kits.  

A Vista Cruiser would be really cool.  Our family bought a '68 new and I drove it in college. 

21 minutes ago, Motor City said:

A Vista Cruiser would be really cool.  Our family bought a '68 new and I drove it in college. 

Yah it would, but they couldn't base it on the '69 4-4-2 because the chassis are different (wheelbase). Unless they could use the chassis from the '68 El Camino. 

Come to think of it, '68 Chevelle wagon? :unsure:

1 hour ago, CapSat 6 said:

Probably true. We haven't seen the '55 Nomad in awhile, have we?

Yeah, that is true, I could see a "Womp'in Wagon" repop with original style box art and some of the old parts added. Then follow the formula: extra set of tinted glass, "expanded" decal sheet and new pad-printed tires and slicks. The Nomad hasn't been out for around 10 years, so it makes sense. Also I forgot about the Boss Nova, it was mentioned in another thread. This is an obvious possibility, because it was last available in the mid 2000s as a Model king release. 

Actually, the '62 Buick Special might be doable, I don't think it was butchered into anything else.  I had a nice unpainted built up with all the extra parts and a really hacked up vintage built up drag car, but have since sold both. It would be nice to see this one come back, it has a lot of cool extras: the engine hoist, gas cans, trailer and a Double Dragster Hemi motor with multiple intake options. 

2 hours ago, keyser said:

Brady Bunch Satellite. Maybe more than 1 tool out of it. 

Or, someone had to say it, '68 Coronet? ?

FREE BIRD!!!!!! :)

I think that generation of Mopar Wagon (presumably the '68-'70 Dodge & Plymouth B Bodies) were more or less the same from the cowl back, as the '63-'65's were. There was different trim on the tailgates & taillights, but you still might be able to get multiple years or makes/ models out of the same tool for a '68-'70 B wagon relatively easily. 

The '71-'72 Satellite wagon would be a little more unique, but it might still be possible to develop a Satellite/ Coronet wagon tool using the same greenhouse, basic interior and chassis, and offer a Brady Bunch Satellite and a Rod Shop Coronet.