Model Cars Magazine Forum

What wagon is Round 2 alluding to? Which Station Wagon would you like to see a model kit of?

5 hours ago, espo said:

Many years ago I toured Mr. Harrah's Automotive Museum on several occasions. I think Jay Leno would have been impressed. I don't recall the exact year but at the time Mr. Harrah was driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee, you remember the big ones with the wood trim and all. The power plant at that time was a duel overhead cam V-12 from on of his import dealerships. I also have seen one of his personal speed boats at the Wood Boat Show at Lake Tahoe. Stainless Steel roof covering the main Solon and an Allison air craft engine for power. I guess when you have that much money your transportation needs are only limited by your imagination.    

The Wagoneer with the Ferrari engine had smoothed bodywork and the nose of the 365GT2+2 that the engine came from.  It was called the Jerrari.  It looked sort of Citroen-y.  There was a story about it in Road & Track.

Jerrari.jpg

Edited by sfhess

2 hours ago, sfhess said:

The Grand Cherokee with the Ferrari engine had smoothed bodywork and the nose of the 365GT2+2 that the engine came from.  It was called the Jerrari.  It looked sort of Citroen-y.  There was a story about it in Road & Track.

Jerrari.jpg

It was a Wagoneer....this was decades before the Grand Cherokee name.   Two were built--the green one with the Ferrari nose was a '69, there was also a '77 with a stock body in orange w/ woodgrain trim.

Edited by Rob Hall

Harrah's first Jerrari, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerrari kind of an ugly mix of a 67 365 GT 2+2 he wrecked and an earlier Wagoneer. Ick. 

Image result for harrah Jerrari"

The second Jerrari was better. 365 GTC/4 twincam V12

800px-Bill_Harrah%27s_Jerrari.JPG

Ex-George Whittell Hacker 50'. Harrah bought it from him as well as several Duesies. Whitell bough more new Duesenbergs than anyone on planet. 5 IIRC. Harrah put the Allison aircraft V12's in it. https://autoweek.com/article/car-life/thats-duesyImage result for whitell hacker 50 boat"

On 2/3/2020 at 11:59 AM, Snake45 said:

Yah it would, but they couldn't base it on the '69 4-4-2 because the chassis are different (wheelbase). Unless they could use the chassis from the '68 El Camino. 

Come to think of it, '68 Chevelle wagon? :unsure:

A '68 Chevelle wagon based on the El Camino would be sweet!  Seems like they could reuse all the dirty bits, similar to the Revell '66 siblings.

Regarding the Vista Cruiser, that generation (along with the Buick Sportwagon) actually used a stretched 121" wheelbase, I believe.  The "standard" (non-Vista Cruiser) Cutlass wagons used the same 116" wheelbase shared with the other A-body 4 -doors and the El Caminos.  Since Olds didn't offer a true full size wagon at the time, the Vista Cruiser helped fill a gap above the standard 116" wagons.

I really like the idea of a '69 Vista Cruiser, and a tie-in with "That '70s Show" would match up with Round 2's marketing strategy.  The main problem is that there is very little that they could use from the existing '69 442/Hurst Olds.  Really the only things I can think of are the engine block and auto trans from the H/O, front glass, front bumper/grill surround, and probably (?) the dash and rear axle.

Everything else would need to be newly tooled: body, interior, long wheelbase chassis, driveshaft, exhaust, rear bumper, taillights, wheel covers are all different.  Even the grill inserts would need to be new, and the non-power-dome hood is different too.  I can still imagine Round 2 doing it due to the marketing tie-in, but it would be a LOT more ambitious than the Supernatural Impala, which is itself pretty impressive.

I agree that one of the Brady Mopar wagons also seems possible, but I think it would be a similar situation to the Vista Cruiser: almost everything new.

Family Truckster seems possible too, but I think that would have much less appeal.  Can''t really think of any other iconic TV/movie wagons that could be a candidate?  Looking where Round 2 is spending their money for major new tooling, I really suspect any kind of new wagon tooling would have some kind of show biz tie-in.

8 hours ago, Bucky said:

A first gen Falcon wagon might be nifty. One of my cousins had a 1964 Falcon wagon. I'd buy a kit of that.

Interesting thought - the '60 Ranchero wouldn't require too much retooling to make a two-door wagon: modified body, an extension for the rear 2/3rds of the interior bucket, and rear windows. Still should have a stock six-banger.

Hmm. Same deal for the '59 El Camino...?

Wait a minute. When's the last time they issued the MPC '29 A Woody? Since they were investigating that tool anyway - reissue it with '60s chrome reverses, surfboards and new decals/box art. THAT sure sounds like a Round2 effort!

What do you think?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

On 2/5/2020 at 2:32 PM, Rob Hall said:

I forgot about the ‘29 woody.  That’s a real old school station wagon.   I could see that in a Coca Cola livery. 

I could see it with crates of bottles in the back.

Better yet, how 'bout the Depot Hack with vintage Coca-Cola logos and bottles in it!

I know, it's not a wagon, but it would be cool anyway.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

If I had to choose only one wagon, Volvo Duett! ?

image.png.c5ca8619dbc49ab42f064e650b00571e.png

Yes, I know that I'll have to wait forever, but you said regardless of commercial viability, so....

To keep it more realistic, a Falcon wagon based on the Ranchero tooling would not hurt.

Edited by Cpt Tuttle

26 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Speaking of wagons, I wonder how well the Revell '66 Malibu and '57 Del Rio sold? Has either been reissued? I bought two of each. But, have only built the Del Rio and started a second build. I never have touched the Malibu wagons.

The '66 Chevelle wagon was reissued in 2013, and the '57 Ford Del Rio was reissued w/ the gasser option in 2016..

Edited by Rob Hall

52 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

The '66 Chevelle wagon was reissued in 2013, and the '57 Ford Del Rio was reissued w/ the gasser option in 2016..

Either the Chevelle or the Ford would make great tow vehicles, being Revell kits I would think Round 2 would have to work off of something from AMT's past. This is one of the reasons I had mentioned the '67 Impala kit they're getting ready to release  would be a logical possibility. With the development of converting the 2 door Hard Top to a 4 door Hard Top going on to a wagon wouldn't be that much of a reach.  

2 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Muscle Wagons, eh?

Way back when the '64 and '65 Chevelle 300 2 door wagon was released they could be ordered with any engine that was offered in any of the other models, except the '65 SS396 model. Most of the ones you find today with the high performance drive trains were ordered cars since most dealerships didn't even stock that model and if they did it was more often than not a 6 cylinder or one of the 283 V8's. That said I knew of a couple of people that did in fact order their wagons. One couple that I remember ordered one with the 275 hp 327 cu with a close ratio 4-speed and Positraction. I wish that Chevrolet had continued to offer that model for a few more years too when I bought a '66 but they're not in the business of offering something that isn't selling in great numbers.