Model Cars Magazine Forum

What wagon is Round 2 alluding to? Which Station Wagon would you like to see a model kit of?

14 hours ago, ranma said:

If Round2 said that the wagon hasn't been issued in a long time I'd say that leaves out the '65 Lincoln as it was reissued just a few years back. 

Maybe. But Round 2 has done quite a few re-re-issues of kits pretty close together, sometimes with new parts and decals.  The recent Pinto/Popper kit, the '23 T Delivery Truck, etc.  Also the '77 Ford Coke van.  They re-issued the original "Cruising Van" version in 2018, then the new Coke version a year later or less.

According to Scalemates, the last re-issue of the '65 Lincoln was also in 2018. It seems longer ago.  Last year, my closest Hobby Lobby put one of those Lincolns in the Clearance section for less than $2.00.

22 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

With the recent reissue of the Vega wagon F/C and the upcoming Grumpy Vega, it may be a Vega wagon. It wasn't that long ago that they reissued the Pinto wagon.  

The more I think about it, the more sure I'm getting that it will be an Impala

Some parts they had to tool up for the supernatural they also will need for a wagon (please correct me if I'm wrong)

- new front bumper-grille

- new hood

- bench seat

- 4dr. interior side panels

So what do they need to tool-up

- new body (co-designed in 3D when they were doing the 4dr.)

- new windshield, back and side windows

- extensions for the 4dr. (or all new) interior side panels

- wagon interior floor and inner tailgate trim

- backseat with backing

- rear bumper-taillight part

- new stock wheels (one can use to convert the 4dr. hardtop to stock)

Edited by Luc Janssens

What would be required to turn the First-Gen Nova wagon back to stock? Biggest problem is that the door lines have been erased. I'm wondering if today it might be possible to restore those lines by laser-cutting grooves in the molds, and then inserting proud material into those grooves to form the lines in the molded body? (I hope I explained what I mean.) I'd definitely buy a restored Nova wagon. 

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

The more I think about it, the more sure I'm getting that it will be an Impala

Some parts they had to tool up for the supernatural they also will need for a wagon (please correct me if I'm wrong)

- new front bumper-grille

- new hood

- bench seat

- 4dr. interior side panels

So what do they need to tool-up

- new body (co-designed in 3D when they were doing the 4dr.)

- new windshield, back and side windows

- extensions for the 4dr. (or all new) interior side panels

- wagon interior floor and inner tailgate trim

- backseat with backing

- rear bumper-taillight part

- new stock wheels (one can use to convert the 4dr. hardtop to stock)

They could tool up some woodgrain trim and woodgrain decals, too.

30 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

What would be required to turn the First-Gen Nova wagon back to stock? Biggest problem is that the door lines have been erased. I'm wondering if today it might be possible to restore those lines by laser-cutting grooves in the molds, and then inserting proud material into those grooves to form the lines in the molded body? (I hope I explained what I mean.) I'd definitely buy a restored Nova wagon. 

I think it’s a compound problem. First there’s a very good chance that the rest of the kit got trashed when the molds were modified into the funny car. Second, todays buyers are looking for much more detail in a “new” release.  If indeed there was a need to have an early Nova wagon, they’d be better off starting from scratch 

Permit for me to preface the following by stating that I'm not knocking Round2 ( et alia ) by making this statement

I just hope that if they modify an existing kit's tooling / restore tooling , that it doesn't become the disappointment that was the cancelled-at-the-last-minute 1971 Demon 340 . For an instance ; let's say that the tooling for the c.1962 Nova Wagon is restored to stock . That's no small feat , even if the rest of the tooling exists ---- that body was heavily-modified ! 

Now , hope-against-hope that the Nova wagon is restorable ; I propose that its original engine ( 4 or 6 cylinder ? ) be supplanted with the engine from the 1970 1/2 Z~28 , or perhaps the L~79 from the 1966 hardtop .

Now , how about a backdated Chevelle Wagon ? I'm certainly not alone in having a strong desire to see that 1964 version make its return , 6 cylinder and all . 

As I've mentioned, per JohnG at Round2, the '63 Nova wagon's interior and chassis molds are lost :(.

Seems like nobody responded about the wagon on the Round2 site's latest post, so I just now did - it's awaiting moderation.

http://www.collectormodel.com/round2-models/4899-round-2-models-live-2020-model-kit-preview/?unapproved=222097&moderation-hash=10bc5caf955e47b37ba142da9ff099ef#comment-222097

I’m really intrigued by your mention of a station wagon kit of some kind. Without tipping your hand of course, can you tell us if this is a new tool, reissue, or a mod to an existing tool? Thanks!

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Time to weigh in with a couple of wagons that I'd like to see from my past. 

My first car was a 1956 Chevrolet 210 Handyman 2-door wagon.

Another is a 1967 Chevrolet Caprice Custom wagon - think of an Impala with the woodgrain trim.  Big block of course.  Although mine never served this purpose, I can remember when a lot of drag racers arrived at the track with the race car on an open trailer pulled by one of these.

I grew up in a Mopar family so something like  a 1960 Dodge or 1965 Belvedere II would also be interesting

Sorry guys, My money is on Luc Janssens , that's probably why the Supernatural   4 dr was delayed . They added wagon parts to the mold? Also  the station  wagon version could be a Coke delivery version, stock, tow car, taxi , police, drag car , ambulance, and a low rider? Now they will get the money out of the tooling costs!!!!!!! Also could be the tow car for the Indy drag car combination II, instead of the Nova wagon.

1 hour ago, paul alflen said:

Sorry guys, My money is on Luc Janssens , that's probably why the Supernatural   4 dr was delayed . They added wagon parts to the mold? Also  the station  wagon version could be a Coke delivery version, stock, tow car, taxi , police, drag car , ambulance, and a low rider? Now they will get the money out of the tooling costs!!!!!!! Also could be the tow car for the Indy drag car combination II, instead of the Nova wagon.

1 hour ago, paul alflen said:

Interesting idea. That would be a nice Wagon to have...

8 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Acquired one in resin recently.

58 Yeoman.jpg

58 resin body.jpg

I had a 1:1 Yeoman wagon back when they were not cool.  The paint was Forest Service Green with a Gray roof. The engine was the 283 with a 4 barrel, 3 on the tree with Overdrive. With 100k miles plus it didn't use a drop of oil between changes and with the OD you would not believe the top end. Should Round 2 do this Yeoman wagon I would buy one or ten myself.  

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2020 at 9:30 PM, Robberbaron said:

The main problem is that there is very little that they could use from the existing '69 442/Hurst Olds. *snip*  ...it would be a LOT more ambitious than the Supernatural Impala, which is itself pretty impressive.

After watching the video/live stream in question last night, I got the feeling the wagon would be an all-, or at least mostly, new tool, and not Round2 bringing back a '60s era kit. So, with that in mind, and Robert's words above, combined with Bill's post here...:

...a 1967 Impala wagon would make some sense. The wheelbases for all 1967 Impalas are the same, and Round2 just re-tooled some parts for the Supernatural release, specifically including separate rear bumper guard...hmmm:

67-CIW-4.jpg.13007ccc57f13d7b1d2f1160d0f82cf1.jpg

Yes, tail light housings are different, but the design work is all done for the bench seat, column shifter, door panels/cards, hood, grille, and a few others. Not an easy, slam dunk creation by any means, but its's a Chevy, the chassis and engine can carry over unchanged, and it's a gorgeous bodystyle in wagon form, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

67ImpWagon.jpg.7bc8de7862bcf471154d43cd64d11458.jpg

67impwag.jpg.d3e86fbd8cfea443ac9c6f7045ec378f.jpg

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

After watching the video/live stream in question last night, I got the feeling the wagon would be an all-, or at least mostly, new tool, and not Round2 bringing back a '60s era kit. So, with that in mind, and Robert's words above, combined with Bill's post here...:

...a 1967 Impala wagon would make some sense. The wheelbases for all 1967 Impalas are the same, and Round2 just re-tooled some parts for the Supernatural release, specifically including separate rear bumper guard...hmmm:

67-CIW-4.jpg.13007ccc57f13d7b1d2f1160d0f82cf1.jpg

Yes, tail light housings are different, but the design work is all done for the bench seat, column shifter, door panels/cards, hood, grille, and a few others. Not an easy, slam dunk creation by any means, but its's a Chevy, the chassis and engine can carry over unchanged, and it's a gorgeous bodystyle in wagon form, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

67ImpWagon.jpg.7bc8de7862bcf471154d43cd64d11458.jpg

67impwag.jpg.d3e86fbd8cfea443ac9c6f7045ec378f.jpg

I'd buy at least one! Would make a cool Junior Stocker, or surf wagon, or patina'ed modern street cruiser. Heck, now I'm in for at least two! 

You could even get a Light Commercial vehicle out of it. Ambulance, Coroner's Car, Airport Taxi, Fire Chief Car, Sheriff Car, or even a Coke Delivery Wagon. Lot's of ways to go, to get mileage from the tooling.

I hope Casey is correct.