Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Grand Prix

StevenGuthmiller

7 hours ago, beeRS said:

Sunfire Red looks ace, as does that foilwork. This going to be real special!

Thanks Sonny!

Last night I applied the first coat of Duplicolor clear.

Today I foiled and detailed the G/P badges on the front quarters as well as the hood badge, followed by another coat of clear.

Over the next 36 hours, I will apply another 2 or 3 coats of clear and then it should be ready to polish and foil.

image.jpeg.6c8af5f256f839ae24b15124dc250218.jpeg

image.jpeg.0e17a262e088ecc3520ab062a6ddad11.jpeg

image.jpeg.206f1a47c625ec5ae7d2c98dbd94e640.jpeg

image.jpeg.07819e5ae61124432f1bb88d6baea535.jpeg

image.jpeg.19a2abafcc9bc0a960dff5a4161f6c46.jpeg

Steve

On 5/28/2020 at 5:17 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Today I started out by foiling the very tiny Grand Prix scripts, (especially the front quarter panel scripts) and then shot the final color coat, followed by cleaning off the scripts.

I really didn't see the possibility of being able to foil each letter on the quarter panels separately, so I was forced to break the cardinal rule and foil the letters with rectangular pieces of foil.

You can currently make out the edge of that piece under the paint, but it will disappear under the clear coats.

Clear coating will commence over the weekend.

image.jpeg.08ec55cf215af176b837cd39653da8f3.jpeg

image.jpeg.f8eb9e1e4e9c4a960eb647e0e4950846.jpeg

image.jpeg.b8cd293ac03a68ff8a5d061792ee50fe.jpeg

image.jpeg.21050468cb8247082904f4641201b8ed.jpeg

image.jpeg.7a558fd3225a79e8906b67c9c47abd45.jpeg

Steve

Color Looks Excellent Steve!

Thanks everyone!

Spent a little time doing some interior stuff this afternoon and will hopefully get one more clear coat on the body tonight.

1 hour ago, gotnitro? said:

The sunfire red is already getting a depth and richness to it! Do you shoot your duplicolor clear right from the can or airbrush

I shoot it right out of the can.

The fan spray nozzle on Duplicolor cans spray so well that I really don't believe that I could do a better job with an airbrush.

Steve

7 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Steve that foil work is absolutely impressive. Im sure it takes a little practice to get it down but you've clearly mastered it. The car is looking great.

Thanks Scott!

I finished up the clear coats today.

I have to say that I'm not entirely happy with the paint job.

I used my smaller Badger airbrush for the final color coat because I wanted to open it up to get a wetter coat.

My PS-290 does a marvelous job of covering a wide area, but it goes on in lighter coats.

Unfortunately, I wound up with some color variation if you look squarely down at the roof, trunk lid and hood, due to the overlap of the passes.

This was not evident at all in the color coats until the clear started to go on.

I should have given the body another light coat with the PS-290, but I didn't see any issue until clear began to go on.

I will not make this mistake again.

Anyway, it's not a major problem, but you know how little things like this can bug a guy.

The issue is almost completely imperceptible in full sunlight, but if you are looking for it, you can see it in unnatural light.

Now the question is, leave it, or completely strip it and start over?

I hate to think of starting over.

image.jpeg.50b24e5222748033dbd513311b0196b0.jpeg

image.jpeg.7ab13afc3f41a741763f70e912bf2d54.jpeg

image.jpeg.57cdfc9ab66af84bbdc16985b6470401.jpeg

These photos illustrate what I'm talking about.

What do you guys think?

Bad enough to do over, or good enough to leave alone?

image.jpeg.73cca1b69d5e32bf336d17eb5f969f2c.jpeg

image.jpeg.d51a154c322c77dd12ca10b2aaa0ddde.jpeg

image.jpeg.149eaa15bc3000483b4a17cd932e9790.jpeg

Steve

So many considerations here, Steve. You've done a lot of great foil work on this one, that would be sad to lose. Also, who's to say the same problem won't show up, again. 

I've never thought about it, but could you shoot more color over the clear coat you've already done, and go from there?

Steve, I'd leave it alone. I've seen new 1:1 cars waaaay worse than that from the factory. That looks nearly imperceptible to me. And absolutely beautiful.?

Edited by Geno

24 minutes ago, Bucky said:

So many considerations here, Steve. You've done a lot of great foil work on this one, that would be sad to lose. Also, who's to say the same problem won't show up, again. 

I've never thought about it, but could you shoot more color over the clear coat you've already done, and go from there?

Thanks Keith.

The foil work is the very least of my worries.

I've done that so often that I can do it in my sleep! :D

It is possible to shoot color over the clear, but by the time I shot another coat of color over the clear and then added sufficient clear coats over it again, there would be no definition of detail left whatsoever.

I thought about just repainting the hood and masking off for repainting the top and trunk lid only, but decided that the likelihood of a color match would be virtually zero.

And as you said, there's really no guarantee that something similar wouldn't happen on the second go around, although I am extremely confident that if I had used the PS-290 air brush, this would not have happened in the first place.

As I said, I will not make the same mistake again.

I should have known better! :angry:

The only real options are to leave it as is, or to admit defeat and do a complete strip and repaint.

Steve

38 minutes ago, Geno said:

Steve, I'd leave it alone. I've seen new 1:1 cars waaaay worse than that from the factory. That looks nearly imperceptible to me. And absolutely beautiful.?

I appreciate your vote of confidence Gene!

My only issue is that I would probably have been taking this build to a couple of shows within the next year or so, and as always, was hoping for perfection. :P

But, I guess that I should know better.

There really is no such thing as perfection, at least not with my projects. -_-

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I appreciate your vote of confidence Gene!

My only issue is that I would probably have been taking this build to a couple of shows within the next year or so, and as always, was hoping for perfection. :P

But, I guess that I should know better.

There really is no such thing as perfection, at least not with my projects. -_-

Steve

You're welcome Steve. I strive for that perfect model as well and have yet to achieve one lol. But they make me smile when I look at them on my shelf and that's what matters most. I still take 'em to shows and have fun with them though, flaws and all lol. Keep rockin' it buddy. I'm diggin' ever step of your build. ???

Edited by Geno

Im afraid the only one who can answer that question is YOU.

So it comes down to can you carry on and live with  it as is?

Myself, I would finish it as is, but then I dont do contests so Odds are I am the only one who will ever see mine in person

Leave it alone Steven, in my opinion, I think that this subtle flaws on the paint will be less visible when all the details including the bare metal foil around the windows mouldings will be done on the car.  You focus on the sole thing on the body right now... the paint.   There are plenty of superb modifications on this car that worth to be appreciated but as other have mentioned, you are the owner and your decision will be the good one!

Okay guys, I appreciate all of your help.

My wife reminded me, as some of you have, that if I don't strip and repaint, all that I will do for the next 2 years is piss and moan about how I should have re-painted it! :P

So I ordered another bottle of paint from "Scale Finishes", (just to be safe) and into the pond it went!

No turning back now!

I guess at this point, if I have nothing else, I do have time.

With any luck, the Super Clean won't destroy all of my body work.

'64 Grand Prix paint job part 2 coming up.

Steve

Well Steve. Since you've already decided to repaint it might I suggest sanding off the wipers and replacing them with photo etched ones?  I didn't bother doing that on mine but I'm not putting all the extra details into it you are either. Your car deserves them though.

I think I would have just misted in a light coat of red on the horizontal surfaces, just thick enough to blend everything in and shoot another coat of clear. 

But that's just me. I've also been known to paint and strip a car 3 or 4 times before I'm happy with it.

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Okay guys, I appreciate all of your help.

My wife reminded me, as some of you have, that if I don't strip and repaint, all that I will do for the next 2 years is piss and moan about how I should have re-painted it! :P

So I ordered another bottle of paint from "Scale Finishes", (just to be safe) and into the pond it went!

No turning back now!

I guess at this point, if I have nothing else, I do have time.

With any luck, the Super Clean won't destroy all of my body work.

'64 Grand Prix paint job part 2 coming up.

Steve

Do to your admirably high standards. A do over is the best course of action.

11 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I think I would have just misted in a light coat of red on the horizontal surfaces, just thick enough to blend everything in and shoot another coat of clear.

Unfortunately, I never use just one coat of clear for anything. :P

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

8 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Have you considered Tamiya pink primer instead of grey ? Not sure if it's compatible with Scale Finishes colour coats ---- maybe even a light coat of a non-metallic bronze or copper before applying colour coats ?

I didn't use gray primer on this one, I used white.

I think next time around, I might give it a shot of one of the Duplicolor darker reds before the Sunfire Red to darken it up a bit.

Steve