Model Cars Magazine Forum

Viper Kart

Jantrix

So lately something called Vette Karts have been popping up on my Instagram and Pintrest. It's basically a C4 or C5 Corvette that's been stipped down to it's lowest common denominator. From what I've read it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. Some say they existed before those Roadkill guys did one, others say it didn't. In either case, it looks like a helll of a fun thing to do with a car that isn't all that collectable or valuable, although I'm sure there might be some that are, for whatever reason. I've seen them built for the track, the dragstrip and off roading. Pretty crazy. So I thought that building one for my club corona build off would be fun.

However, the only Vette I had that wasn't a picked over parts kit, was the Monogram Calloway. After perusing the kit, it was clear it was not going to be very suitable for the project. But I did however have a WIP Viper, that was sort of already being stripped down, so I busted it out and went further with the idea. First pic is the a Vette cart, the rest are the Viper (Revell GTS) from start to current status. I'm going to use the stock interior pieces, but cut up to look gutted of stereo, climate controls, etc. Stock wheels/tires as the stance is very good. I'll be adding a rear spoiler. 

Comments, criticism, and insane ideas are always welcome. More soon.

ce76168b508e46fd5c5754cde95f107b.jpg

49727308916_394aabb19b_c.jpg

49726761513_10917eccb6_c.jpg

49727308131_16b531c025_c.jpg

49727623287_8b8272c732_c.jpg

49727622177_c1dba044b0_c.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

The Road Kill guys didn't invent this but they sure brought a lot of attention to this sort of car. I like the Viper idea for your build, I might even consider keeping the hood over the engine. In many ways this isn't any different than the pre war guys striping down a '30's era car or truck. The guys today that are tearing up late model Corvettes or Vipers my live to regret such things, but in the mean time it sounds like a lot of fun to be had. 

That’s cool. I’ve never seen the show or any of these, YouTube time I guess.

If you need any engine tidbits let me know - I have a project and have three extra parts AMT kits - I think I remember the Revell kit doesn’t have the coils on the back of the heads. Easy to scratch but the AMT kit has them if you need them, I’m only using one (each kit has two, one with six, one with four leads). 

Eric,  Bob thanks very much. I'm gonna scratch the coils and as they will be nearly invisible in this chassis,  no need to do much more than hold the wires. Chassis is painted. It's a Krylon color that I really like called Oiled Bronze. In still trying to decide if I should do GTS blue,  Viper red and their corresponding two tone interiors,  or come up with something atypical for Vipers. Rear wing is in the works. 

20200405_165053.jpg

20200405_165103.jpg

On 4/13/2020 at 11:44 AM, mustang1989 said:

Very impressive build Rob. Kudos goes out for imagination and vision.

Thanks Joe. I think it would be a lot of fun to spin around a track.

I've decided to try this for the intake, sans a couple of injectors of course.

Products tagged: chronotrigger - Shapeways 3D Printing

• 1 month later...