Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Chevelle SS

Metalmad

7 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Maybe Revell will consider doing the '68 and '69 GTO, '68 and '69 GS (remote chance on that one!), and '70-'72 GS.  We can only hope.

Kind of wonder what they have up their sleeves. The transmission crossmember is a separate part, so tooling up a B.O.P.-style one wouldn't be hard. Also, they put the Astro Ventilation vents on the decal sheet instead of molding them to the new 69 dash. Why would they do that unless they are planning another 69 Chevelle that didn't use the Astro Vents. IIRC, that would be a 4-door sedan, a wagon, an El Camino, or a 300 post.

7 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Chrome for the '69 that is different from '68--bumpers and grille. 

IMG-4129.jpg

The grille looks better than AMT's. I've painted at least five of the latter now and have never really been happy with any of them. 

7 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I can handle a 10-zero brush way better than I can trim and manipulate two matching little pieces of white decal, unfortunately... :unsure: one of my little quirks.

There are many paths to the top of the mountain. B)

On 7/17/2020 at 10:16 PM, 1972coronet said:

At the risk of being redundant ---- 1968 L79 300 Coupe and 1969 300 Coupe with the SS-396 .

Both VERY cool, but very limited production and not that well known. But neither is beyond the conversion reach of experienced modelers such as you and me. If you want it, DO it! B)

On 7/20/2020 at 1:40 PM, Snake45 said:

Both VERY cool, but very limited production and not that well known. But neither is beyond the conversion reach of experienced modelers such as you and me. If you want it, DO it! B)

Yeah, way too obscure for Revell to do...maybe a resin caster will do a 300 2dr sedan body w/ the strippo interior parts..or a '69 300 Deluxe 4dr sedan body and interior---there was a police package in '69, that could be interesting.  Super-obscure, though, don't think I've ever seen a pic of one.

Edited by Rob Hall

On 6/30/2020 at 7:07 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Here's a link to the video review. Not sure if you need to have an account in order to see the video..https://scaleautomag.com/videos/kit-reviews/2020/06/fast-track-revell-chevelle

Just got the kit in the mail today. Just watched video now, even before opening up my kit. I like what I see in the video. Being a life long resident of Minnesota, I was delighted to see the Minnesota license plates. A nice added bonus! 

My approach for the backups would be small foil strips gone over with white paint just thicker than a wash.

I pored this thing over against the '68, looking at stuff like identically-shaped windshield wipers and window recesses, and the ejector pin strikes inside - and it does indeed appear the core body mold is common to the two.  As differentiated as the body shell is, that seems to be accomplished by different side cavities with extremely close tolerances.

I'm going to wait until I see a few built before I pull the trigger on this one. I want to see how the grille fitment is mainly. I can see that the dash will need to be replaced, door panels will probably need to be cut down at the top and the wheelwell lips reworked. I want a couple. But, I don't know if I want them bad enough to do the work it takes to make them better.