Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coca Cola branding. Why?

Personally, I think it looks dumb, but obviously those who make these decisions know (hopefully) more about their customers than I ever will. 

Also, I wouldn't turn down a Coke themed kit if the underlying subject interests me. However, I usually dont give them a second glance. 

I read that Coca Cola is the number one collector brand.  And if R2 signed a blanket license you get as much use as you can. I like it as much fun we make of it.....but he different era Coke vending machines and bottles in cases with labels for different eras are GREAT! 

PS: buyers for retail chains like it too! 

Edited by Dave Van

3 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

In the '70s American automakers dressed-up cars with bold go-fast graphics, in an attempt to sell a lame product, and it worked, so why not try this proven sales scheme, Ha!

;) :D

See Oleg Cassini Matador......yes...I owned one! 

371481.jpg

I don't care if they sell kits with Platex living bra branding if it sells a lot of kits!!!

Yea, I’m betting the Coca Cola collectors will buy these up in a heartbeat! I have a friend of mine that will snap up anything wit a coke label! His apartment is loaded with coke paraphernalia it’s ridiculous!?

2 hours ago, ranma said:

Well just a few years ago Round 2 also did these two Pepsi themed kit's! Must not had sold as well as the Coca-Cola ones ????

MPC-R2-808-4.jpg

AMT-R2-804-7.jpg

There was an actual stock car similar to the kit.  The number on the car was different though.

29 minutes ago, Mark said:

There was an actual stock car similar to the kit.  The number on the car was different though.

RIGHT! MPC announced the kit as a Lennie Pond #54 Pepsi Chevy kit.  But Pepsi and Pond split ways short after that so the kit was changed to a fantasy race car. 

On 6/29/2020 at 2:57 PM, Rbray47 said:

Personally, I think it looks dumb, but obviously those who make these decisions know (hopefully) more about their customers than I ever will. 

Also, I wouldn't turn down a Coke themed kit if the underlying subject interests me. However, I usually dont give them a second glance. 

On 6/29/2020 at 3:00 PM, Dave Van said:

I read that Coca Cola is the number one collector brand.  And if R2 signed a blanket license you get as much use as you can. I like it as much fun we make of it.....but he different era Coke vending machines and bottles in cases with labels for different eras are GREAT! 

PS: buyers for retail chains like it too! 

The Coke decals don't bother me one way or other. The basic kit is what sells me. At the same time I like the little extras, like the Coke vending machine in their latest '60 Ranchero kit. It has got me think about picking up another Ranchero just for that reason. I really don't need another '60 Ranchero. But, I really do like that old style Coke vending machine. 

Just throwing this out there.  Is this a good way to offset tooling costs in order for the model companies to come  up with new model car subjects or resurrect old ones not seen in 50 years?  For example,subjects such as the Olds Cutlass Streaker, 68-69 Coronet R/T, 72 Grand Prix, 71 Dodge Demon , etc could be released with the Coca Cola theme with decals.  It's an opportunity to broaden the horizon by doing this.

Edited by GMP440

A better way to get a new tool kit from R2 is buy the Supernatural 67 Chevy.  This kit is the first major tooling, not counting the promo based kits paid for by manufactures, for R2 and if it sells then the marketing guys can go to the bean counters and show a good ROI. (we are talking auto based tooling....not SciFi)

THAT will get more new tooling....not a licensing deal which COSTS R2 to do.  

Edited by Dave Van

Well, I've Done My Part. Bought One, which is all the budget allows right now. I've read that they are selling fast, so that is good.

I hope they do well. Wouldn't a Coke themed '72 Chevy Pickup sell well, right now?

4 minutes ago, Earl Marischal said:

Thanks for the replies chaps; an interesting insight. I think Daddyfink has the right idea though. ?

Mind you, why anyone would collect Coca Cola memorabilia beats me. Takes all sorts I guess.

steve

Reminds me, Coke collectors, of those weird-o-s that collect boxes of plastic model cars!!! ?

I don't even like Coke. I swear I can actually feel my teeth rotting if I drink it. (Which I don't, if I know what it is.) 

I much prefer Pepsi, RC, or even Walmart/generic stuff. Actually I don't like any of them if they have sugar in them. I've been drinking the "diet" stuff so long that sugar sodas leave an aftertaste in my mouth for hours. 

True story: A couple decades ago in Sodom-on-the-Potomac (Washington DC), there were several well-known, well-respected restaurants, bars, and clubs owned by the same guy. You knew you were in one of "his" joints when you saw the words "We do not serve Coca-Cola products" on the menus, napkins, Specials boards, behind the bar, or anywhere else in the place. It might have even been on the front door, I don't remember. I finally found out the story. At some point in the distant past, there was a Coke representative drinking in there, and the guy next to him ordered a "rum and Coke," and he saw the bartender make the drink with some kind of soda that WASN'T Coke. The Coke guy raised an enormous stink with the management. A lawsuit was threatened, perhaps even filed. The owner swore that NEVER AGAIN would he have ANY Coca-Cola products on his premises EVER. And he never did! :lol:

estate-1970s-menu-blackies-house-beef_1_

Edited by Snake45

RC Co-Cola at my house. I'm Californian, but RC has been my go-to for 25 years now. I'll drink the others, but when I'm buying, it's RC, all the way.

Back to the thread.... I'm tremendously happy that Tom Lowe can leverage Coke Memorabilia Collectors into paying for Fresh Kits, for us. The Coke decals are a nice bonus, but otherwise I'm getting fresh new plastic, and sometimes Neat Accessories. The large Coke Cooler in the '61 Ranchero, will sell me the kit. I'd like a few more of the Green Coke Bottle "Cases" that are out there, but I've not wanted a kit that has them, enough to buy that kit.

All the Joking aside, if putting Coke Decals/Logos on a kit, will get me more kits, then I'm all for it. I don't quite understand the folks who gripe about the Coke branded kits. It's not hurting them. Coke Collectors are subsidizing our kits! What's not to like? It means Round2 has some more money to spend on stuff WE want. Like the '64 Olds that is coming back.

I want more of that. Bottom line, is that if Round2 has to sell Coke Kits to better afford restoring old tooling, then Good for them. 

My only business dealings with the big 2 soft drink companies was through my buddy and his small chain of Pizza places he owned. 

When he opened he had the two big suppliers come in and bid. Pepsi under bid by a HUGE amount.  So even though he was a Coke drinker business said Pepsi. That lasted less than a year. The Pepsi fountain machines broke down all the time....and took weeks to fix.  Supplies were spotty at best. After a year of this he called Coke. They came in with all new machines, lines everything. And Coke came in twice a month and tested and calibrated to make sure it was right. They made and gave him signs for his store....with COKE logo but FREE! This lasted the next ten years until he sold the chian to an investment group.  Best pizza ever and I miss it. 

2 hours ago, alexis said:

The large Coke Cooler in the '61 Ranchero, will sell me the kit. I'd like a few more of the Green Coke Bottle "Cases" that are out there, but I've not wanted a kit that has them, enough to buy that kit.

I believe that the '60 Ranchero Coke kit comes with 2 of the Green Coke Bottle Cases. Looks like it's in the bag with the clear glass. Hpiguys has a review of the kit on youtube and you can see everything that comes in the kit.