Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '65 Impala box art custom built with Revell kit

Can-Con

Like the header says, this is gonna be a version of the custom Impala shown on the AMT '65 annual box art.  Another "long term" project. 

I will also be taking a few libertys  with the design along the way such as a chopped top and a few other little changes. 

scan0058

6715-200 (1)

I'm using an old forlorn Revell Impala given to me many years ago. The custom parts were generously donated by Snake.

[Thanks again Snake ???]

IMG 2773

Not a lot of progress yet besides cutting off the front clip and glueing on the bottom 1/2 of the custom clip. The top 1/2 had to be narrowed slightly by making a couple relief cuts and glueing the gaps closed.

Love the clear custom hood but I'd still like to have another one to paint along with the body so I could swap then around. So, if anyone has an old one they don't need in any shape, maybe we could work something out?

IMG 2776

IMG 2777

IMG 2778

Very cool project--I'm glad to see you starting it. I thought you'd be the right person to give a home to those wild custom parts! B)

I bought a glue bomb of the same custom at a flea market about two years ago. I asked Steve if it would be okay when he started his build if I could tag along in this thread with a complete rebuild of mine, and he thought that was a cool idea, so I'll be doing that. My starting point is shown below. 

I'm not sure if I'll be using the custom bubble top or not--if I can save it, I will. I too am of mixed mind about the clear hood. Maybe we can find a board member willing to mold us a couple copies in resin? 

One thing I could use help with is paint. I need to start visualizing what I want my finished product to look like, to help me stay motivated. What color(s) would this look good in? I'm thinking about trying a Winfield-type fade paint job--what colors would work well for this on this car? 

65ImpalaCustom02.jpg.3f82e46b4243a4a84b05b3467d212b86.jpg

65ImpalaCustom04.jpg.abf74ae3a381a846e03d40e70907f57a.jpg

I'm thinking an orange/peach kinds fade for mine Snake. I think I mentioned that in our e-mails.

How about a full-on peach scheme?

CS:GO Fade Wave : ChromaProfiles

Classic "Jade Idol" green fade would look good. Light blue to dark purple is also another one I've been thinking might look good on one of these.

Wallpaper linear black green gradient #3cb371 #000000 0°

But if I wasn't doing mine in orange tones, it would be organic yellow-green shades.

Wallpaper gradient green yellow linear #ffff00 #008000 45° 2560x1600

Edited by Can-Con

Gold flake with candy root-beer fades. Groooovvvy! I really would like to see the custom grill work molded into the stock fenders, that front fender bulge just makes the car look like an oversized Corvair to me. Carry on...

Edited by bisc63
added info

Never laid eyes on this kit box before. Those are some of the nicest custom parts I have seen from that era of AMT kits. A lot of them were down right hideous, just check out the 69 Impala if you don't believe me.

I agree that this one needs a Winfield fade paint job.

6 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Interesting kit, I'm looking forward to seeing this build progress. What is the black vinyl roof material AMT announces on the box?

It’s just some peel and stick textured vinyl on a small sheet. It’s not precut or anything. I have an original 66 Riviera that came with some of it.

4 minutes ago, oldscool said:

It’s just some peel and stick textured vinyl on a small sheet. It’s not precut or anything. I have an original 66 Riviera that came with some of it.

Sounds like the stuff that old suitcase record players were covered in 'Rexine' 

Cool project Steve! I'm going to be watching this one. If  I remember correctly the vinyl material came in a Lincoln kit also. Mid 60's vintage. I used it to put a vinyl roof on a '68 Chevelle when I was a kid.

19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very cool project--I'm glad to see you starting it. I thought you'd be the right person to give a home to those wild custom parts! B)

I bought a glue bomb of the same custom at a flea market about two years ago. I asked Steve if it would be okay when he started his build if I could tag along in this thread with a complete rebuild of mine, and he thought that was a cool idea, so I'll be doing that. My starting point is shown below. 

I'm not sure if I'll be using the custom bubble top or not--if I can save it, I will. I too am of mixed mind about the clear hood. Maybe we can find a board member willing to mold us a couple copies in resin? 

One thing I could use help with is paint. I need to start visualizing what I want my finished product to look like, to help me stay motivated. What color(s) would this look good in? I'm thinking about trying a Winfield-type fade paint job--what colors would work well for this on this car? 

65ImpalaCustom02.jpg.3f82e46b4243a4a84b05b3467d212b86.jpg

65ImpalaCustom04.jpg.abf74ae3a381a846e03d40e70907f57a.jpg

Snake, I have a hood,and most of the other parts , maybe a roof if I can find it its yours if you want them, Jack

On 8/8/2020 at 8:15 AM, Superbird McMonte said:

Snake, message me if you still need someone to cast the hood.

Fabulous! You still have the same email as last year? You'll be hearing from me soon. Thanks! B)

As to the color(s) on mine....

Kinda thinking of maybe a light seafoam green, fading with either a darker jade green or something in the turquoise/blue line. Testor flake gold with a burnt orange fade is also a possibility. 

Also thinking of pearl white, maybe. Might have to check out the nail polish store soon. 

I see I'm not the only one who sees the similarity to the 2G Corvair. I also see a little Sting Ray in there, too. 

Maybe it's because I'm currently watching Ozark, with lots and lots of boats, but I'm also thinking about overall pearl white with blue fade along the lower edges of the body, like a waterline. Might work well with the boat-ish front end. 

Hmmmmmmm....

• 2 weeks later...

Can-con and snake , Guys I don’t mean to hijack your topic but I just ran across your tread and just had to show you the one I started a few months ago, I started with a Monogram 1965 impala kit, I chopped the top and then added the AMT 1965 impala custom parts that I picked up on eBay , I also painted with a fade ,a couple of candy different blues over a Mini silver flake Base , I’m going with the clear hood and a revell parts pak chromed 283 small block Chevy, I still have a way’s to go on mine before calling it finished, can’t wait to see what you guys come up with yours , I’ll be watching as you build em .

407675EB-C93C-4000-9382-797D7BD39B9E.jpeg

011D938C-CA99-44D1-977D-6765B4341DFB.jpeg

0B16A0EC-405C-4947-AB54-2756AD8A0865.jpeg

446735BD-C897-4C45-89C5-650398F83F4D.jpeg

Edited by gseeds

On 8/25/2020 at 11:58 PM, gseeds said:

Can-con and snake , Guys I don’t mean to hijack your topic but I just ran across your tread and just had to show you the one I started a few months ago, I started with a Monogram 1965 impala kit, I chopped the top and then added the AMT 1965 impala custom parts that I picked up on eBay , I also painted with a fade ,a couple of candy different blues over a Mini silver flake Base , I’m going with the clear hood and a revell parts pak chromed 283 small block Chevy, I still have a way’s to go on mine before calling it finished, can’t wait to see what you guys come up with yours , I’ll be watching as you build em .

407675EB-C93C-4000-9382-797D7BD39B9E.jpeg

011D938C-CA99-44D1-977D-6765B4341DFB.jpeg

That's pretty sweet Gary. 

I've been a fan of your cars for years. 

Thanks Can-Con , I’m glad I’ll get to watch as you build yours , when I first picked up these custom parts wanting to build something from them I googled Amt  ‘65 impala Custom built ups hoping to see some cool examples of it but only found 50 year old glue bombs , knowing you’ll do the parts justice I can’t wait to see what you come up with, I’ll keep checking back.