Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do kit companies do market testing to see what kits will sell.

"but most importantly, have some real, Market Tested Numbers to justify the sales potential of this, or ANY other subject that you care to present."

The above statement was taken from a posting about Atlantis Models.  

Do model kit companies do markets tests to see sales potential of a kit they are considering developing?  If so, how do they go about it?   I see Moebius doing prototype models.  This is probably how they test the market.  I can't see the model companies doing some sort of tooling to do a limited number to judge sales, it be too cost prohibitive.  Maybe someone in the know could answer this.

I personally have only seen random questions being posted on board like this by connected folks in the industry. But, I have also seen companies like Tamiya put out a pad and paper and ask folks what they would like to see from them. 

The AMT Blue Printer used to send questionnaire to feel things out, but mostly for re-issues. 

I am pretty sure they know that asking "What would you like" is a pretty loaded question that will garner a million answers that will not really match each other. 

In the case of reissues, most companies would have sales data for items they released previously.

For new items, Revell used to attend some of the larger model events and ask people to submit cards with their ideas. They have also done occasional polls on their website. 

I’m sure they get all kinds of responses, but I’m also sure that trends in the majority emerge when they look at all of the responses. 

Also, about 25 years back, Scale Auto Enthusiast Magazine used to run an annual poll on what new, retooled or reissued subjects their readers would like to see. I believe that the AMT ‘67 Nova, Monogram ‘70 GSX, and several other kits were direct results of these polls. 

12 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

Also, about 25 years back, Scale Auto Enthusiast Magazine used to run an annual poll on what new, retooled or reissued subjects their readers would like to see. I believe that the AMT ‘67 Nova, Monogram ‘70 GSX, and several other kits were direct results of these polls. 

That's what I was going to mention before I saw your response. I could dig one of those issues out and share the poll results here and i bet by now 75% of that "wishlist" has been produced. Maybe the relaunch of Model Cars Mag could do something similar? I'd love to see the Kit of the Year stuff come back too, but that' a whole other topic. The "Most Requested " kit polls would be fun to see the results and could be used by the manufacturers to see what we want.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

I think it would be a good bet that more than one model company keeps an eye on the trends from builders on this forum and several others. When a company wants to invest in new tooling to bring a kit to market they really can't afford to be wrong about the subject and even what the other companies are working on. I remember several years ago when AMT and Revell both released kits of the '67 Chevelle SS 396 in stock form.  I don't know if Round 2 has the molds from AMT but I haven't seen them reissue the a stock Chevelle SS 396.      

I'm the person who wrote your quote, George. The answers you have gotten, are part of what I was looking for.

By "Market Tested" I meant that, you (the potential Model Maker) have spent some time and actual money, to conduct some basic research on what the limits of your kit might be sales-wise. And, Huge eBay asking (or selling) prices do not directly translate to large demand or sales numbers. They may only indicate a few Rabid Buyers, chasing Unicorn Kits.

Even monitoring online forums is not a very good indicator of what the  entire modeling population wants.  Members of the online forums are likely a very small percentage of the kit-buying population, so monitoring forums is probably not the best indication of the market's desires.   Same with eBay listings - many of the high priced items get to those high prices because few bidders with too much money in their pocket have bidding war.  Well, maybe except the Revell Can-Do/Will-Do wreckers. Those regularly show up on eBay, and always fetch a high price. Yet, Revel does nor reissue that kit often.  There is also the problem of people buying kits on eBay and parting them out.  But by parting the kits out they will easily will recoup the high price they paid for the complete kits.

4 hours ago, GMP440 said:

"but most importantly, have some real, Market Tested Numbers to justify the sales potential of this, or ANY other subject that you care to present."

Do model kit companies do markets tests to see sales potential of a kit they are considering developing?  If so, how do they go about it?   I see Moebius doing prototype models.  This is probably how they test the market.  I can't see the model companies doing some sort of tooling to do a limited number to judge sales, it be too cost prohibitive.  Maybe someone in the know could answer this.

It's a good question. However, right now, as has been the case the last ten years or so, I think massive risk-aversion has taken hold of the planning area for most products, not just models and hobby items. The markets today are changing so rapidly, that nobody wants to take a chance on something, which is unfortunate, because taking chances is what makes a company successful if they play their cards right, and market research is a fundamental part of it. That said, bold chances have also netted massive success, and it would be nice to see a bold chance taken by someone. Moebius did take a bit of one with the Hudsons, and they made out pretty well on those. AMT, Revell and others could stand to follow their lead, and see what might happen.

Charlie Larkin

5 hours ago, alexis said:

I'm the person who wrote your quote, George. The answers you have gotten, are part of what I was looking for.

By "Market Tested" I meant that, you (the potential Model Maker) have spent some time and actual money, to conduct some basic research on what the limits of your kit might be sales-wise. And, Huge eBay asking (or selling) prices do not directly translate to large demand or sales numbers. They may only indicate a few Rabid Buyers, chasing Unicorn Kits.

I understand the statement you made.  My purpose was to take it a step further.  I don't know how involved the model kit companies do their market research or testing.  I wanted to get input on how they do it.  That's why I used your statement.  It just turned a light bulb on thinking what a model kit company would do.

7 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Most model companies have limited staff and those that work there typically wear multiple hats. If it is an existing tool that they are planning on running again, they might use pre-orders from kit distributors to finalize the decision. In the past, kits were announced but never made it to the shelves as demand waned and they weren't produced. If it's a new tool, they probably have a good idea of how well it will sell, especially if they scan the forums seeing what people are stating as their wants.

I remember back in the 80s, AMT/Ertl would have someone build a resin or vintage kit to display at their show tables to test the waters for potential interest in an upcoming future kit.

They did this with a 50s Cameo p/u promo and a 62 Bel Air resin kit. They also did it with the Petty Road Runner, but I guess that one didn't gather enough interest to continue. 

They didn't tool up anything, they just displayed something that was somewhat available to see if buyers wanted that kit to be done. 

Sometimes the manufacturers will ask the large distributors about kits to make, what sells, what feedback they get from the stores, etc..

I used to go to a forum where the average person would say, 'if they bring out the 1963 Whatsamobile, I will buy 3 of them. That should be enough to satisfy the company.' Then the others would chirp in with, 'Yeah, I'll buy one too'. In the end they would want a whole 2 dozen kits, not enough to make the company manufacture it. 

Shows and letters and emails all help to tell the company what the modellers want. Make sure that you buy the kit when it comes out :)