Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Ford Galaxie 500XL

bh1701

I recently completed this AMT 1/25th scale 1963 Ford Galaxie 500XL. It was an older kit (the box called it a "Prestige" kit). I had in my stash and finally decided to tackle it. This is also my 2nd attempt at using Bare Metal foil. My first attempt was on a model that was molded in color. This is my first try on a painted body. I ran into a few issues at the beginning, but managed to figure things out. All of the scripts and emblems are hand painted (still not ready to try doing these with BMF!). All of the silver trim on the interior was also hand painted. Not entirely pleased with the black wash on the grill - my usual approach was not working and I tried some other methods. Eventually I just gave up trying and figured this was as good as I was going to be able to do.

Thanks for looking,

Bart

P1010002.JPG.56e765e0c34119f5206d8280f9c125df.JPG

P1010004.JPG.47b708a7459b0bd0015497a7c56dff61.JPG

P1010005.JPG.786f3a10dcfb3ec69b41e1d5b3793afc.JPG

P1010009.JPG.038831a3d85345e53d6672cebaaa377d.JPG

IMG_2853.JPG.17927129a6265a86565c4bff6f254fc6.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG.bfb235671a67b72f9d5214dec395bebe.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG.633dddf62ea2bdb02ce19e7bbfbcfe39.JPG

Nice.
I own a real one and it's also a 500XL and there are lots of shiny stuff everywhere.
It's unfortunate that the model kit is wrong in many places, for example the interior is from a Convertible, the chrome stars in the tail lights are wrong as they should be four pointed and a backup light in the center, the tail light bezels are way too beefy, and some other stuff

5 minutes ago, Force said:

Nice.
I own a real one and it's also a 500XL and there are lots of shiny stuff everywhere.
It's unfortunate that the model kit is wrong in many places, for example the interior is from a Convertible, the chrome stars in the tail lights are wrong as they should be four pointed and a backup light in the center, the tail light bezels are way too beefy, and some other stuff

Yes, the kit did take some liberties with the actual car! When I got ready to put the chrome stars in the taillights, I was surprised to see that they were not like the real car. I had my painting notes that mentioned the backup light which was nowhere to be seen on the model. I think the actual cars also had the letters GALAXIE on the trunk lid. The model omitted this detail, too. However, I was OK with that since it eliminated hand painting 7 more letters on the model!

You're in Sweden with a classic American car? Are there a lot of collectors with classic US cars over there?

Bart

Yes the G A L A X I E letters are also missing from the kit body, on the latest re-issue they are on the decal sheet together with all the emblems and scripts tho'.

The classic American car interest are huge over here, partly because most of them were sold new over here back in the time and many want one now so the demand is high, my Galaxie was imported from California back in 2016 and I had a 1964 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe before also imported from California back in 2004, and I sold it when I bought the Galaxie.

Even with the kits short comings you mentioned it still looks great. Nice shades of blue inside and out and you did a great job on the trim detailing. The interior issue may come from the fact that this kit is based on the original annual kit that was offered as both a convertible or a hardtop.