Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stalled 1967 Mustang GT coming back in the queue.

Bills72sj

On 10/4/2020 at 8:29 PM, Bills72sj said:

Painted the body today. Had some airbrush struggles. Medium one blows bubbles, baby one worked for 1st color used, but it resorted to blowing bubbles too. Had to use my siphon airbrush which did ok, but I ran out of paint about 80% of the way covering the last piece (the hood).

Do you have a moisture trap (inline filter)? The compressor may be making moisture and sending it through the line - ending up in the paint and on your car.

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Do you have a moisture trap (inline filter)? The compressor may be making moisture and sending it through the line - ending up in the paint and on your car.

I do have a moisture trap and NOTHING shows up in it. I most always wait until the humidity is below 45% to paint.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Looking great to me Bill, I don't see on here what paint it is and the color.  I have never built a Ford model but my Daughter gave me the 66 GT350H kit for Christmas and I have been working on it.

It is Duplicolor. Some OEM silver metallic.

• 3 months later...

After setting it aside for 3 months, I finally got the motivation to get back to this one. I was trying to hunt down some shift linkage for my Boss 429 build and opened the box for this one. Once in hand, I applied some BMF and some Molotow and moved it to the "in progress" shelf.

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress the last few days. Created and printed some custom decals for the race car's name. I also mixed in some old contingency decals I found in my decal box.

My "427 Cammer" decals got messed up so I will have to print them and try again.

Livery added.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Finally got back on the bench to resume work on this one. Continued the challenge of putting a big 427 SOHC motor in the little '67 Mustang engine bay. I had to fabricate headers from scratch using lead solder. The collectors are Evergreen tube. Just like real life, they had to be curved here and there to clear everything like the starter, the steering linkage and the frame rails. I used clear Gorilla glue due to its ability to adhere to dissimilar materials. I used regular Testors red to secure the engine block to the frame's stock engine mounts. Next up the rear suspension as I have already shortened the drive shaft an appropriate amount.

Headers fabricated.JPG

Headers installed.JPG

16 hours ago, Zippi said:

Really sharp looking Mustang.  The paint on the body and hood look great.  

12 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Sweet. Coming along nice. 

10 hours ago, seabiscut88 said:

That looks really good! WOW

3 hours ago, Mike F. said:

Me too. Nice work. Looks great!

Thank you all for the encouragement. I got the axle and shocks installed last night. I fiddled with the wheels and brake sub-assemblies as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
4 hours ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Bill I’ll be watching yours. I am working on the newest version. A couple of questions which both pertain the back of the car. How easy is it to fit the back panel in? Also how should I attempt to do the trim around the taillights?

Mine is actually done. (See link in post above). I do not remember any issues with the tail panel. I use Testors red to make it stay in. Then I use Testors window make to wick into fill all the gaps. After that its paint time. The frames on the tail lights have enough ridge to use a 1mm Molotow pen. You could use a 2mm if you are really steady. The ridges are two narrow to use BMF or a paint brush. I was pretty happy how mine turned out. My next one will get a special panel that has 6 taillights per side.

Tail panel.JPG