Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelling in modern pop culture

iamsuperdan

• 2 weeks later...

A few off the top of my head...

Revell was always great at product placement, and their kits turn up in a lot of Fifties TV series.  Revell kits were almost always displayed in Wally and Beaver's room in "Leave It To Beaver."  

In the 1953 movie "Niagara" with Marilyn Monroe and Joseph Cotten, he's a troubled war veteran whose therapy includes building a 1/16 scale Revell Maxwell kit. That was an inside joke.  Jack Benny's longtime announcer Don Wilson had a part in the movie, and Benny was famous for talking about his Maxwell. 

The 1990 Jim Belushi movie "Mr. Destiny" had him building some AMT scale models, including a 300SL Gullwing.  He also "built" some kits that didn't exist, AFAIK.  Like this AMT kit of a '55 Porsche Spyder. Note the tube of Testors glue on the table.

mr-dest.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof

On 9/20/2020 at 8:04 AM, Mike999 said:

The 1990 Jim Belushi movie "Mr. Destiny" had him building some AMT scale models, including a 300SL Gullwing.  He also "built" some kits that didn't exist, AFAIK.  Like this AMT kit of a '55 Porsche Spyder. Note the tube of Testors glue on the table.

mr-dest.jpg

I like that movie. 

I just caught Ford vs. Ferrari on HBO and decided to rewatch it...I may be wrong, but it seemed to me like there are a few shots in Ken Miles’ (Chris Bale’s) son’s bedroom in which a car model box can be seen on a shelf in the background. I’m not sure, but it looks like it could be an Aurora E-Type Jag... That would be period correct, no? I would actually appreciate it if someone could confirm this as I did find it interesting and quite an appropriate detail if in fact true (kudos to the production designer for sure).

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

My brother in law worked with a crew that built and performed the train wreck scene in the movie "The Fugitive".

fug-bill-large.jpg.b51cd5005fc05ffc2a817fed9002e60a.jpg

fugitive06-large.jpg.9fa38133b9b57d64fa9cee09744fb851.jpg

You did know it was a model didn't you?

I've watched the movie many times and still think it's real!

They did crash a real train. Somewhere in the junk pile, I have the issue of Trains magazine where they went to the real shortline railroad I think in Tennessee (going on 20 year old memories) and showed the remains of the staged wreck along the rail line for the tourist trains to see. Maybe some of the scenes were miniatures, but real locomotives and cars were used also. Now I have to search my junkpile.

Jeff 

Quick edit, Google search turned up Great Smokey Mountains Railroad at Sylva, North Carolina . Photos of the wreckage still there to this day, rusting away.

Edited by Goose1957
New information