Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

A quick mock up to be sure that everything is fitting as it should.

So far it's looking good.

image.jpeg.85a34b1b8fdb6ce77dd3a25bee681779.jpeg

image.jpeg.363154595cdcab48b5018784c23a4a1f.jpeg

image.jpeg.de3d73489a375401d33708a1a1bc51e2.jpeg

image.jpeg.56829e8ad4a75a8c87f865cdb9749cb5.jpeg

Steve

So cool Steven, I love how it looks sitting there with no wheel covers or caps and that engine looks grrrrr8 sitting in there👍

6 hours ago, absmiami said:

Can you make up some engine bay stickers - or does anyone make them ?  Nice door locks … white vinyl - was virtually impossible to clean white vinyl tops on the one- to-ones - believe me …

Haven’t given much thought to the engine bay stickers yet.

I’ll consider that at a later time.

The top isn’t white, it’s just primer for the time being.

I’ll polish the body first and then do a black vinyl top.

Steve

Regarding the underhood decals, I know that Rays Kits (https://rayskits.com/decals/) offers several Dodge sheets (not Coronet-specific) that might be of use. I've ordered several times from Ray (echoxrayniner here on the board) and his stuff is top notch. The next printing deadline is tomorrow the 19th, so you might be able to get in under the wire and order. The underhood decals on the 1:1s are basically the same, so I'm thinking the 1969 Charger set would do the trick.

Great job as always, Steve... I'm a Mopar guy through and through, but I truly appreciate your talent regardless of the subject you're modeling.

John

6 hours ago, TooOld said:

I realize that you've got a lot more to do but that engine looks fantastic sitting in that bare engine compartment ! 

Thanks Bob.

Hopefully the addition of the rest of the engine bay detail won't ruin the affect. ^_^

5 hours ago, David G. said:

The stripes look fantastic and the engine bay detail is mind-blowing!

It looks great up on its wheels. Good ride height, very solid looking.

David G.

Thanks David.

I was going for that slightly high ride height.

I think it gives a lot of cars a more "muscular" look.

Makes them look like they mean business. :)

24 minutes ago, Kayma367 said:

Regarding the underhood decals, I know that Rays Kits (https://rayskits.com/decals/) offers several Dodge sheets (not Coronet-specific) that might be of use. I've ordered several times from Ray (echoxrayniner here on the board) and his stuff is top notch. The next printing deadline is tomorrow the 19th, so you might be able to get in under the wire and order. The underhood decals on the 1:1s are basically the same, so I'm thinking the 1969 Charger set would do the trick.

Great job as always, Steve... I'm a Mopar guy through and through, but I truly appreciate your talent regardless of the subject you're modeling.

John

Thanks John.

I'm not too worried about the underhood decals.

I've got quite a few different sheets of Mopar decals laying around, plus I still have a lot of generic underhood decals left from a couple of "mini sheets" that I got from Speedway Decals a long time ago.

Anybody have any knowledge of what kinds of "chalk/inspection markings" you would have seen on a car like this?

I did some of that on my last 2 GM cars and kind of liked the affect, but I'm not sure yet on this one.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Anybody have any knowledge of what kinds of "chalk/inspection markings" you would have seen on a car like this?

I did some of that on my last 2 GM cars and kind of liked the affect, but I'm not sure yet on this one.

I haven't been able to track down a restored or original example with factory marques in the engine compartment . Oftentimes , there were plant-to-plant variations ( e.g. , Los Angeles Assembly -- which didn't build 426 Hemi cars , excepting the 1967 model year for some reason --marques may differ from Lynch Road ). 

I've seen grease pencil marques of an 'X' on the firewall , driver's-side , just below the cowl . I've seen 426 Hemi cars with the car's build date marqued on the right valve cover ( example : '505' ) . The only other marque that I can think of is a 'D' on the backside of the 8 3/4 axle housing which indicates 'Sure Grip' . 

Here's a gold 1968 Hemi Super Bee  . Perhaps it'd be of some help ? 

This Rare, Gold Metallic '68 Dodge HEMI Coronet Super Bee Is Heading to Barrett Jackson Auction - gallery (topspeed.com)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I haven't been able to track down a restored or original example with factory marques in the engine compartment . Oftentimes , there were plant-to-plant variations ( e.g. , Los Angeles Assembly -- which didn't build 426 Hemi cars , excepting the 1967 model year for some reason --marques may differ from Lynch Road ). 

I've seen grease pencil marques of an 'X' on the firewall , driver's-side , just below the cowl . I've seen 426 Hemi cars with the car's build date marqued on the right valve cover ( example : '505' ) . The only other marque that I can think of is a 'D' on the backside of the 8 3/4 axle housing which indicates 'Sure Grip' . 

Here's a gold 1968 Hemi Super Bee  . Perhaps it'd be of some help ? 

This Rare, Gold Metallic '68 Dodge HEMI Coronet Super Bee Is Heading to Barrett Jackson Auction - gallery (topspeed.com)

Thanks John.

If nothing else, the photos in the link are interesting as it looks as if I got the right color! ;)

Steve

I know there were paint daub inspection markings all over the underside of MOPARS from that era. Also, certain parts had identifying marks and stripes, letting the line workers know which part the build sheet called for.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks Bob.

Hopefully the addition of the rest of the engine bay detail won't ruin the affect. ^_^

Thanks David.

I was going for that slightly high ride height.

I think it gives a lot of cars a more "muscular" look.

Makes them look like they mean business. :)

Thanks John.

I'm not too worried about the underhood decals.

I've got quite a few different sheets of Mopar decals laying around, plus I still have a lot of generic underhood decals left from a couple of "mini sheets" that I got from Speedway Decals a long time ago.

Steve

Steve, this may help a little bit. This is from my 67 R/T that I restored several years ago. Although it was an A/C car, you may see some markings on some appropriate components. Great build as usual. Hope you have a set of keys to start her up...lol.

IMG_1874.JPG

I am soooo in awe of the level of detail that you have done with this build. How do you manage to keep track of everything? Write down what your plans are as you go? I keep forgetting things until it’s too late to do it. 

• Xingu locked this topic